Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1

Thread: Lowest mileage variance prize in honor of Chris Maimone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowest mileage variance prize in honor of Chris Maimone

Many of you knew Chris Maimone (CPTJohnC on the forum) and know that he recently passed away. He and I weren't close, but he was the kind of guy you met once and considered a friend. Instantly likeable, and just pleasant to be around. He was my BAFS team captain one year, and I would see him now and then at forum get-togethers.

He liked to give out prizes to people who weren't likely to get prizes and would often email hozn and I, asking for odd data dumps to choose a winner. One of these was the Least Variance prize, given to the rider whose daily mileage changed the least over the course of the contest. This is an excerpt from the email he wrote:
    What I'm trying to eliminate are:
    • People who only/mostly rode sleaze
    • People only participated a few days
    • People who gave up
    • People who are riding BIG miles (and will therefore be likely to get other prizes)
    I'm going to be awarding this prize this year in Chris's honor. He embodied a lot of the best parts of BAFS, and I know I'm not the only one here who misses him.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jon for keeping this up. Chris was such a great champion of Freezing Saddles and biking in general and I miss him too. Great way to keep his memory and spirit alive with us. Hooah CPTJohnC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, jrenaut, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prize?!!

Wondering if thereís a prize for this; I think Iím the winner ☺️ Will gladly take kudos and a virtual high five! Thanks for motivating me to stay consistent, especially at the end

5. Likes obscurerichard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So it turns out I'm a terrible prize-giver, but we do have some winners!

2020: tomacsh - I would have done something last year but then COVID and no happy hour and everything went by the wayside.

2021: obscurerichard - I may have to retire this prize and do something else to honor Chris' memory - no one will ever manage less daily variance than you did this year.

I'll DM both of you - I plan to bake something as the prize, so I'll need to know if there are any dietary restrictions i need to take into account.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    So it turns out I'm a terrible prize-giver, but we do have some winners!

2020: tomacsh - I would have done something last year but then COVID and no happy hour and everything went by the wayside.

2021: obscurerichard - I may have to retire this prize and do something else to honor Chris' memory - no one will ever manage less daily variance than you did this year.

I'll DM both of you - I plan to bake something as the prize, so I'll need to know if there are any dietary restrictions i need to take into account.
    Iím tickled! After I got in the groove of things I started riding 3.14 (π) miles every time I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    ELITE jrenaut ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post
    Iím tickled! After I got in the groove of things I started riding 3.14 (π) miles every time I could.

Last year I had my work commute to help me stay on a regular schedule. This year was a lot tougher, but I am a creature of habit. However as [mention]jrenaut [/mention]said the consistency of [mention]obscurerichard [/mention]is one for the ages. I couldnít complete!

11. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As I've said before, I didn't know Chris well, but he was the sort of person who immediately felt like a friend. I miss him and his contribution to BAFS and the DMV cycling community. He always wanted to award prized to people who probably weren't expecting prizes, so I think I will retire this one for next year and think of something else that I think Chris would have appreciated.

13. Likes CBGanimal, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post

So, you are hoping your prize is a pie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    So, you are hoping your prize is a pie?
    I love pie as Sol Schott of ACME Pie could tell you!

16. Likes Sunyata, Steve O liked this post