Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I took a modified version of bentbike's detour on the way home yesterday and LOVED it. Sure, there was a hill or two, but it was so much more interesting than that awful section of the W&OD between the Custis and Brandymore.

    I ended up getting off the Custis at Westover Park and took 11th to 14th to McKinley and up the new(ish?) path to the pedestrian bridge. It was quite lovely.

  2. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
  3. #52
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westover Beer Garden
    Posts
    2,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For all you riffraff using the northern detour, it's faster just taking 14th Street between Ohio and McKinley and taking path from the corner of Ohio and 14th to the pedestrian bridge. No, that trail is not new, but may have been recently repaved.

  4. #53
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    For all you riffraff using the northern detour, it's faster just taking 14th Street between Ohio and McKinley and taking path from the corner of Ohio and 14th to the pedestrian bridge. No, that trail is not new, but may have been recently repaved.
    Meh. One has to at least slow at Ohio and yield to any cross traffic. Or come to a complete stop if assiduously adhering to traffic laws. The trail is grade separated; no slowing required. I doubt there is any time difference, and the trail is more pleasant. It was completely repaved not long ago, so nice and smooth. And on another point, taking 14th puts one closer to Dismal's house than taking the trail, FWIW.

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Meh. One has to at least slow at Ohio and yield to any cross traffic. Or come to a complete stop if assiduously adhering to traffic laws. The trail is grade separated; no slowing required. I doubt there is any time difference, and the trail is more pleasant. It was completely repaved not long ago, so nice and smooth. And on another point, taking 14th puts one closer to Dismal's house than taking the trail, FWIW.
    And it's fun in the Fall when the walnuts are dropping.

  6. #55
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For those of you taking bentbike's route, you should note that it takes you within just two blocks or so of Siber Hobbes current location

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was riding home last night (6/13) turning west on the W&OD. I noticed several bike tracks next to the orange barrier wall and some of the plastic material pushed onto the ground. It's 6:00, so I figure all the construction guys are gone, so I'm going to try skirting the detour and going on the trail. The trail is intact, but there's two more barriers --- so it involves getting on and off the bike a total of four times. I concluded that the detour is still the best bet. They're making some progress lining the creek with big limestone rocks, but it looks like there's a way to go. Its been 3 or 4 weeks? Guess there's no hurry

  8. Likes Steve O liked this post
  9. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA (W&OD MP4.5)
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I was riding home last night (6/13) turning west on the W&OD. I noticed several bike tracks next to the orange barrier wall and some of the plastic material pushed onto the ground. It's 6:00, so I figure all the construction guys are gone, so I'm going to try skirting the detour and going on the trail. The trail is intact, but there's two more barriers --- so it involves getting on and off the bike a total of four times. I concluded that the detour is still the best bet. They're making some progress lining the creek with big limestone rocks, but it looks like there's a way to go. Its been 3 or 4 weeks? Guess there's no hurry
    Last night as I was coming up the W&OD detour a little before 6 PM I saw a cyclist with the cojones to push around the construction barrier and keep riding west on the trail. Might have been you ...

  10. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Last night as I was coming up the W&OD detour a little before 6 PM I saw a cyclist with the cojones to push around the construction barrier and keep riding west on the trail. Might have been you ...
    I was riding home from work with my wife. When I got through all but the last barrier, I looked back and saw another guy behind me doing the same thing. Judging from all the tire marks in the mud before the first barrier, its hardly an original or daring idea.

    I suppose it could be worse. My all time favorite was the parking lot replacement by Roosevelt Island. The bike path became a dirt path that someone had the bright idea of covering with six inches of shredded mulch. The ramp replacement on the 14-th street bridge is a close second.

  11. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    The bike path became a dirt path that someone had the bright idea of covering with six inches of shredded mulch.
    The mulch really sucks to ride over, but is intended to minimize damage to the underlying surface.

  12. #60
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Last night as I was coming up the W&OD detour a little before 6 PM I saw a cyclist with the cojones to push around the construction barrier and keep riding west on the trail. Might have been you ...
    It wasn't me, because I went through a day earlier.
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •