Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a modified version of bentbike's detour on the way home yesterday and LOVED it. Sure, there was a hill or two, but it was so much more interesting than that awful section of the W&OD between the Custis and Brandymore.

I ended up getting off the Custis at Westover Park and took 11th to 14th to McKinley and up the new(ish?) path to the pedestrian bridge. It was quite lovely.

2. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

For all you riffraff using the northern detour, it's faster just taking 14th Street between Ohio and McKinley and taking path from the corner of Ohio and 14th to the pedestrian bridge. No, that trail is not new, but may have been recently repaved.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    For all you riffraff using the northern detour, it's faster just taking 14th Street between Ohio and McKinley and taking path from the corner of Ohio and 14th to the pedestrian bridge. No, that trail is not new, but may have been recently repaved.
    Meh. One has to at least slow at Ohio and yield to any cross traffic. Or come to a complete stop if assiduously adhering to traffic laws. The trail is grade separated; no slowing required. I doubt there is any time difference, and the trail is more pleasant. It was completely repaved not long ago, so nice and smooth. And on another point, taking 14th puts one closer to Dismal's house than taking the trail, FWIW.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Meh. One has to at least slow at Ohio and yield to any cross traffic. Or come to a complete stop if assiduously adhering to traffic laws. The trail is grade separated; no slowing required. I doubt there is any time difference, and the trail is more pleasant. It was completely repaved not long ago, so nice and smooth. And on another point, taking 14th puts one closer to Dismal's house than taking the trail, FWIW.
    And it's fun in the Fall when the walnuts are dropping.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you taking bentbike's route, you should note that it takes you within just two blocks or so of Siber Hobbes current location

Post Thanks / Like

I was riding home last night (6/13) turning west on the W&OD. I noticed several bike tracks next to the orange barrier wall and some of the plastic material pushed onto the ground. It's 6:00, so I figure all the construction guys are gone, so I'm going to try skirting the detour and going on the trail. The trail is intact, but there's two more barriers --- so it involves getting on and off the bike a total of four times. I concluded that the detour is still the best bet. They're making some progress lining the creek with big limestone rocks, but it looks like there's a way to go. Its been 3 or 4 weeks? Guess there's no hurry

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I was riding home last night (6/13) turning west on the W&OD. I noticed several bike tracks next to the orange barrier wall and some of the plastic material pushed onto the ground. It's 6:00, so I figure all the construction guys are gone, so I'm going to try skirting the detour and going on the trail. The trail is intact, but there's two more barriers --- so it involves getting on and off the bike a total of four times. I concluded that the detour is still the best bet. They're making some progress lining the creek with big limestone rocks, but it looks like there's a way to go. Its been 3 or 4 weeks? Guess there's no hurry
    Last night as I was coming up the W&OD detour a little before 6 PM I saw a cyclist with the cojones to push around the construction barrier and keep riding west on the trail. Might have been you ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Last night as I was coming up the W&OD detour a little before 6 PM I saw a cyclist with the cojones to push around the construction barrier and keep riding west on the trail. Might have been you ...
    I was riding home from work with my wife. When I got through all but the last barrier, I looked back and saw another guy behind me doing the same thing. Judging from all the tire marks in the mud before the first barrier, its hardly an original or daring idea.

I suppose it could be worse. My all time favorite was the parking lot replacement by Roosevelt Island. The bike path became a dirt path that someone had the bright idea of covering with six inches of shredded mulch. The ramp replacement on the 14-th street bridge is a close second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    The bike path became a dirt path that someone had the bright idea of covering with six inches of shredded mulch.
    The mulch really sucks to ride over, but is intended to minimize damage to the underlying surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    It wasn't me, because I went through a day earlier.
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.