Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Washington Blvd is definitely the way to go, detour or no detour. Rolling hills so it's not that bad to keep your speed up, and the sections without bikelanes are generally the downhills. It is a pain how you have to bounce back and forth when you lose the bike lane, but merging back into traffic has never been problematic for me.
    Do drivers ever get frustrated where there's no bike lane and you take the lane?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Even in rush hour? Trying to find the best route to work tomorrow (DC) from the Tues Hills Ride. I should just suck it up and take Yorktown to Military.
    I'm doing a reverse commute, and the time of day when I'm riding it varies day-to-day. In general though, it seems fairly empty in the morning, and more traffic in the evening. See you tomorrow at the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Do drivers ever get frustrated where there's no bike lane and you take the lane?
    I probably should have included the caveat that I tend to try and ride faster with automobile traffic anyways, and I'm usually hammering on this part on the way home anyways, so in my experience no. I believe the longest stretch eastbound without a bike lane is from Quintana to 18th St, and that's mostly a long downhill to the Ohio St traffic light. IME you're either going not much slower than car speed, or you're getting held back (like everyone else) by the cars backed up at the light. If the light's green then you can focus on maintaining speed up the little hill past the light so you can get back to where the bike lane starts again.

I am curious about the official bicycle route signage where the bike lane disappears, but I've never checked it out (I'm assuming it just detours through the little roads south of Washington Blvd and spits you out in Westover).

3. Likes musclys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even in rush hour? Trying to find the best route to work tomorrow (DC) from the Tues Hills Ride. I should just suck it up and take Yorktown to Military.
    Detour doesn't start until next Monday, Feb 11, so no worries tomorrow.

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The official detour does not take you much out of the way--I suspect it adds less than 2 minutes--and if you take Madison instead of Manchester, there's not even a hill.

However, I would never want to deprive you of the Military rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

Note that the trail portion of the detour isn't really the kind of place for fancy cycling. It's more of a neighborhood trail for dog walkers and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FMR Erosion.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	19262[/QUOTE]

Wow. I haven't ridden along here in a while. We'll deal with the detour. Just get that fixed, stat!

Madison St. alternate preferred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The official detour does not take you much out of the way--I suspect it adds less than 2 minutes--and if you take Madison instead of Manchester, there's not even a hill.

However, I would never want to deprive you of the Military rollers.
    I wasn't going to be anywhere near that part of the W&OD on my route into work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Note that the trail portion of the detour isn't really the kind of place for fancy cycling. It's more of a neighborhood trail for dog walkers and such.
    Please share that sentiment with the 2,000 or so Lycranauts who buzzed me this morning when I was out for a run on that section of the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    There's always one. But that's on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Wow. I haven't ridden along here in a while. We'll deal with the detour. Just get that fixed, stat!
    It's ok, because there's orange plastic.

13. Likes Steve O, bentbike33, Starduster liked this post