Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

Post Thanks / Like

Default W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

Arlington County will be undertaking an emergency construction project along Four Mile Run starting on February 11, 2019. The project will add soil and stone to the north bank of Four Mile Run between Ohio Drive and Patrick Henry Drive to protect the Washington & Old Dominion trail. The project will stabilize the stream bank, limit future erosion and address the current safety concerns for users of the trail.

The W&OD and Four Mile Run trails in this area will be closed to users during construction. A detour has been established.
    Construction will begin around February 11, 2019 and will take approximately 4-8 weeks.
    The WO&D trail will be closed for approximately 4 weeks.
    Four Mile Run trail will be closed for the duration of construction.
    A short trail detour will be in place (see web site link for detour map).
    Clear directional signage will be provided along the detour route.
    https://projects.arlingtonva.us/proj...stream-repair/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DES_FMR_WOD_Trails_Detour.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	19263

Name:	FMR Erosion.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	19262

2. Likes consularrider, Tania liked this post
  3. 02-01-2019, 11:25 AM

I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why anyone would choose N. Manchester over N. Madison. It's got a much more serious hill.

I suggest this detour (aqua line) instead.
    Henry - any chance you can get them to change the signage? That Manchester hill is very steep.

Name:	less hilly.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	19266

5. Likes scoot, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

Henry

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Really, you should just keep climbing 10th Rd up and over Montana and then use the bike lane on Ohio. Or better yet, use the bike lane on Patrick Henry, climb to 9th Rd, climb to McKinley, and enjoy the down hill bike lane, just don't exceed the speed limit past the school.
    Last edited by consularrider; 02-01-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Just joking y'all. Steve O had it best since he used to live there.

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really glad they're fixing this before the trail disappears and the power lines fall into the creek and I-66 erodes. Just kidding, they'd never let it get to I-66.

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Not sure why anyone would choose N. Manchester over N. Madison. It's got a much more serious hill.

I suggest this detour (aqua line) instead.
    Henry - any chance you can get them to change the signage? That Manchester hill is very steep.
    I contacted the project manager who told me that the reason they selected N. Manchester was because work vehicles, etc. will be using N. Madison, and that she was familiar with the hill. I suggested to her that after about one time using the signed detour and walking their bike up the hill, most people riding bikes will figure out that N. Madison is much better. Hence she should make sure the workers and drivers are aware that most people will ignore the official detour.

I definitely recommend the N. Madison St. route during all non-work hours, including weekends, when presumably there will be no conflicts with workers or work vehicles.

If you ride by here on the W&OD/Custis, take a quick look for yourself and try out the two options. It's a pretty big discrepancy.

12. Likes Emm liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I contacted the project manager who told me that the reason they selected N. Manchester was because work vehicles, etc. will be using N. Madison, and that she was familiar with the hill. I suggested to her that after about one time using the signed detour and walking their bike up the hill, most people riding bikes will figure out that N. Madison is much better. Hence she should make sure the workers and drivers are aware that most people will ignore the official detour.

I definitely recommend the N. Madison St. route during all non-work hours, including weekends, when presumably there will be no conflicts with workers or work vehicles.

If you ride by here on the W&OD/Custis, take a quick look for yourself and try out the two options. It's a pretty big discrepancy.
    I would say they should still sign the detour to Madison. The detour signs also make drivers aware that they need to expect an increased volume of cyclists, and since that volume will likely come on Madison, that's where the signs should be.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, this detour is going to be a huge PITA for W&OD>Custis riders. For the more comfortable road riders out there, hopping off the W&OD and onto Washington Blvd at Lee Hwy is probably the fastest way to get to the Custis (or vice versa). I usually take Washington Blvd to the Custis entrance at Aberdeen. If you don't mind the non-bike lane portions of Washington Blvd, it's much faster than the trail route, IME.

15. Likes dasgeh, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Washington Blvd is definitely the way to go, detour or no detour. Rolling hills so it's not that bad to keep your speed up, and the sections without bikelanes are generally the downhills. It is a pain how you have to bounce back and forth when you lose the bike lane, but merging back into traffic has never been problematic for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Washington Blvd is definitely the way to go, detour or no detour. Rolling hills so it's not that bad to keep your speed up, and the sections without bikelanes are generally the downhills. It is a pain how you have to bounce back and forth when you lose the bike lane, but merging back into traffic has never been problematic for me.
    Even in rush hour? Trying to find the best route to work tomorrow (DC) from the Tues Hills Ride. I should just suck it up and take Yorktown to Military.