Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    It was closed-closed this am. The hill on Manchester looks WAY worse than it is. Once I got to the top I knew to turn left but then I wasn't sure where to go (no signs). It also wasn't immediately clear that I needed to turn onto the sidewalk there at Patrick Henry rather than cross the street (the other somewhat-lost cyclist with me crossed) - I had to stop and look around to figure out what I should do. Once I popped back out to the W&OD a helpful (?) pedestrian yelled at me to cut through the picnic area/park rather than heading back west to get to the custis entrance. Ground was softer than I liked, sorry about the tracks I left.
    I got to enjoy the detour as well. I agree that the Manchester hill wasn't that bad. It's pretty short. But I'm trying the other way on the way home. It sure has been a year of detour activity on the bike trails this year. The 14-th street bridge ramp, grand slalom repair in Arlington, and now this. I do like the pattern they have of blocking the trail off with signs, and then commencing work a 7-10 days later. Over the years, I've watched the creek carve quite a bit of real estate out of that corner. Sometimes the path even floods. I guess it needs to be done.

So if this is the first official day (and I didn't see anything going on), it's likely closed until the end of March? Wish they'd done it in December when I was on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Here's a map with bentbike's route shown in teal. The official detour is shown in aqua. The closed sections are x'ed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detour.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	19589
    That's an interesting teal.

3. Likes bentbike33, Tania, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Behr Paint calls that shade “dark magenta teal”.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Behr Paint calls that shade “dark magenta teal”.

Magenta, teal, fuchsia, fulvous, glaucous, wenge, coquelicot, whatever...

Shoulda said red

6. Likes bentbike33, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    OK ... having done both detours, I'd definitely recommend the posted one rather than bentbike's. The hill on it is worse than Manchester street on the posted detour. Going a block further on the posted route, the next hill is a lot less steep. Riding from Vienna to DC, I get enough hills, so I don't seek out more.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been taking a detour on the north side of I-66 using the Custis Spurt. Cross the Custis Spurt bike/ped bridge, right on the trail until it ends at McKinley cul-de-sac, right on 14th, right on 11th, right on Kensington, left on Fairfax, scoot over to Custis. Stop sign at the bottom of the hill for Kennebec is the principal annoyance.
    Very little traffic during either rush hour. Adds a couple of climbs and about 0.1 miles compared to the un-detoured trails. No CX skilz required.
    Rode this last night and really enjoyed it. There's a nice hill and for me the section of the W&OD between the normal custis entrance and Brandywine Castle is a real slog so I may make this alternate way my normal route.

9. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Rode this last night and really enjoyed it. There's a nice hill and for me the section of the W&OD between the normal custis entrance and Brandywine Castle is a real slog so I may make this alternate way my normal route.
    I hate that section of the W&OD, especially coming westward on the way home. I may try this detour on the way home tonight and see how it compares.

11. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I hate that section of the W&OD, especially coming westward on the way home. I may try this detour on the way home tonight and see how it compares.
    I tried this one on the way home (westward) on Tuesday. I have mixed thoughts on it. I actually got off the Custis by St. Anne's and went up to 11th there. I was totally unprepared for the number of steep hills going west on 11th and then up the hill from McKinley up to the pedestrian bridge. The actual signed detour doesn't really add any hills, it's just annoying. That said, even though bentbike's detour had more hills, for some reason it seemed to take less energy out of me than the slog of that gradual hill. I actually felt better going into the Brandywine hill than normal. I'll probably mix it up between these different ways just on a lark.

13. Likes bentbike33, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    ... even though bentbike's detour had more hills, for some reason it seemed to take less energy out of me than the slog of that gradual hill. I actually felt better going into the Brandywine hill than normal. I'll probably mix it up between these different ways just on a lark.
    Westbound, the bike/ped bridge and ramp give you a nice break before the Brandymore climb. Also, once you get to know the route better you'll find the bit between Patrick Henry and McKinley is a hoot. I recommend exiting the Custis to Fairfax Dr. right after crossing under Harrison St. (the underpass west of St. Ann's), then taking Jefferson (the first right off Fairfax) up to 11th. I think that climb is a bit gentler, although the elevation gain is no different.

Post Thanks / Like

Westbound, the bike/ped bridge and ramp give you a nice break before the Brandymore climb. Also, once you get to know the route better you'll find the bit between Patrick Henry and McKinley is a hoot. I recommend exiting the Custis to Fairfax Dr. right after crossing under Harrison St. (the underpass west of St. Ann's), then taking Jefferson (the first right off Fairfax) up to 11th. I think that climb is a bit gentler, although the elevation gain is no different.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot this afternoon. I did find the Patrick Henry to McKinley section to be fun, but it being my first time on the route I wasn't able to take full advantage of it haha