Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: W&OD 2-month Closure for Four Mile Run Stream Repair near N. Madison St.

Post Thanks / Like

Trail was "closed off" this morning, but you could see tire tracks and lots of foot prints in the snow since it had not been plowed. Since the detour off the trail was plowed, I opted to go that way instead. BIG mistake.

The roads were fine, but once you got back on 4MR Trail, nothing was plowed, and it was an icy, slushy, rutted mess.

So, ArlCo, if you are going to detour a normally plowed section of trail onto other trails, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please plow the detour. Especially if it goes over wooden (ICY) bridges.

2. Likes sjclaeys, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Trail was "closed off" this morning, but you could see tire tracks and lots of foot prints in the snow since it had not been plowed. Since the detour off the trail was plowed, I opted to go that way instead. BIG mistake.

The roads were fine, but once you got back on 4MR Trail, nothing was plowed, and it was an icy, slushy, rutted mess.

So, ArlCo, if you are going to detour a normally plowed section of trail onto other trails, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please plow the detour. Especially if it goes over wooden (ICY) bridges.
    What Sunyata said. Plus, there were tracks from some type of vehicle on 4MR Trail, so it is not as if a plow could not have cleared the trail.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    What Sunyata said. Plus, there were tracks from some type of vehicle on 4MR Trail, so it is not as if a plow could not have cleared the trail.
    When I came through a bit later, the little plow truck was out doing it. He did miss a spot, though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missed a spot.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	19530

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I walked by the closed sign last night. Nothing was happening on the trail. Maybe some of the orange fencing was taken down. I think the signage people and the actual construction people are two separate groups.

I noticed they paved the path from 7th (?) St S to the WOD, but the sidewalk closed sign was still up even though construction was clearly sufficient to ride the new path.

Post Thanks / Like

Walked? What is this activity Dismal speaks of?

7. Likes Steve O, Erin Potter liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time I looked, the closed signs were moved next to the trail, not on it. I hope this wasn't the work of some rogue cyclist. After all, the members of the Arlington County Sign Movers Union need to be paid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Last time I looked, the closed signs were moved next to the trail, not on it. I hope this wasn't the work of some rogue cyclist. After all, the members of the Arlington County Sign Movers Union need to be paid.
    I think the signs were moved over the weekend, but not sure by who. When I went through there yesterday morning, the signs were still on the side of the trail. When I came through yesterday afternoon, the signs were back up with orange netting completely blocking the trail on both sides.

Post Thanks / Like

It was closed-closed this am. The hill on Manchester looks WAY worse than it is. Once I got to the top I knew to turn left but then I wasn't sure where to go (no signs). It also wasn't immediately clear that I needed to turn onto the sidewalk there at Patrick Henry rather than cross the street (the other somewhat-lost cyclist with me crossed) - I had to stop and look around to figure out what I should do. Once I popped back out to the W&OD a helpful (?) pedestrian yelled at me to cut through the picnic area/park rather than heading back west to get to the custis entrance. Ground was softer than I liked, sorry about the tracks I left.

11. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    It was closed-closed this am. The hill on Manchester looks WAY worse than it is. Once I got to the top I knew to turn left but then I wasn't sure where to go (no signs). It also wasn't immediately clear that I needed to turn onto the sidewalk there at Patrick Henry rather than cross the street (the other somewhat-lost cyclist with me crossed) - I had to stop and look around to figure out what I should do. Once I popped back out to the W&OD a helpful (?) pedestrian yelled at me to cut through the picnic area/park rather than heading back west to get to the custis entrance. Ground was softer than I liked, sorry about the tracks I left.
    I've been taking a detour on the north side of I-66 using the Custis Spurt. Cross the Custis Spurt bike/ped bridge, right on the trail until it ends at McKinley cul-de-sac, right on 14th, right on 11th, right on Kensington, left on Fairfax, scoot over to Custis. Stop sign at the bottom of the hill for Kennebec is the principal annoyance.
    Very little traffic during either rush hour. Adds a couple of climbs and about 0.1 miles compared to the un-detoured trails. No CX skilz required.

13. Likes Tania, Boomer2U liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I've been taking a detour on the north side of I-66 using the Custis Spurt. Cross the Custis Spurt bike/ped bridge, right on the trail until it ends at McKinley cul-de-sac, right on 14th, right on 11th, right on Kensington, left on Fairfax, scoot over to Custis. Stop sign at the bottom of the hill for Kennebec is the principal annoyance.
    Very little traffic during either rush hour. Adds a couple of climbs and about 0.1 miles compared to the un-detoured trails. No CX skilz required.
    Here's a map with bentbike's route shown in fuchsia. The official detour is shown in aqua. The closed sections are x'ed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detour.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	19589
    Last edited by Steve O; 02-26-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: color blindness

15. Likes dasgeh, Sunyata, LhasaCM liked this post