Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: RULE #1: Don't FREEZE to DEATH

Post Thanks / Like

2. Likes Christob50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The colder it gets the more I find myself wearing ordinary winter clothes rather than "biking" clothes.

4. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, Steve O, awitt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't biked in single-digits yet, or below 24 for that matter.
    My winter gear (largely the office commute only, now that really cold weather has arrived; my last leisure ride was in December) has been changing gradually, as this is my first winter biking, learning what works, etc...
    I wear my office khakis over SmartWool long-johns, and the corresponding SmartWool long-sleeve undershirt. Then on top of that undershirt, a lightweight zip-up windbreaker from REI (through December). I pack my dress shirt and work shoes, socks & a tee. I added Showers Pass 3-layer socks to the gear in late Nov. A half-balaclava (nose and below) plus gloves and ski-goggles (to wear over my existing glasses; what a transformation in comfort that made!!) However, once mornings got even colder deeper into winter, the light windbreaker didn;t seem to be cutting it anymore. I splurged on a Gore windstopper jacket with removable sleeves, during a sale at Spokes. It REALLY blocks the wind from getting through the front, beautifully. (And has a zipper you can easily operate one-handed with thicker gloves, unlike the REI windbreaker.) I also added over-shoe covers, to cut the wind penetration into my bike shoes. On Thursday's super blustery ride home (about 24f) I realized my half-balaclava may need scarf assistance for better neck coverage -- even with the SmartWool shirt fully zipped up (it has a slight collar up the neck, and the Gore all zipped up -- wind was getting through to the front of my neck; I don't think the balaclava's "front scarf" panel is long enough...

6. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    -- wind was getting through to the front of my neck; I don't think the balaclava's "front scarf" panel is long enough...
    Two things that work well for this issue -
    1) Balaclava plus a buff - This is great because you can always wear one or the other as windchill/weather requires.
    2) A hood that is fitted for a helmet. I have a Patagonia R1 fleece pullover and an Ibex will zip that are like this. Wear the hoodie plus a buff. You can also fit slim beanie under the hood as well

If it isn't obvious I would avoid a scarf on a bike. There's too many bad things that can happen if it gets loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    The colder it gets the more I find myself wearing ordinary winter clothes rather than "biking" clothes.

Yup. My Mountain Hardwear softshell pants are a winter staple.
    Last edited by Tania; 02-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend a beard

Name:  B4D25E3B-2D05-4E3B-A486-07121D9511BB.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  11.4 KB

11. Likes FFX_Hinterlands liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I highly recommend a beard

Name:  B4D25E3B-2D05-4E3B-A486-07121D9511BB.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  11.4 KB
    I've been trying for years to grow one for just that purpose, but it isn't working.

13. Likes LhasaCM, awitt, rcannon100, Steve O, Boomer2U liked this post