Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Four Mile Run cleaning days in Feb.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Four Mile Run cleaning days in Feb.

Originally posted by Judd in another thread, re-posting here and the Forum calendar for added visibility...

says Judd:
    "...cleanups on Four Mile Run with the Four Mile Run Conservatory (fourmilerun.org)
    This is a great organization devoted to improving Four Mile Run. The cleanups are land based, but they will lend you some waders if you're willing to jump in the water. I used waders at the last cleanup with them and it was really fun! The February 9th event is billed as a Valentine's Day cleanup so bring your sweetie and engage in some romantic removal of plastic. If you don't have a sweetie, sign up anyway, cause maybe you'll find your new love while you both reach for the same plastic bottle at the same time."

Sat. Feb. 2nd event, 2-4:30pm:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/clean-s...13379?ref=ecal

Sat. Feb. 9th event, 2-4:30pm:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/four-mi...15685?ref=ecal
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 01-28-2019 at 07:46 AM.

2. Likes Judd, LhasaCM liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow’s cleanup has been moved to noon. Hope folks planning to attend can still make it. I’ll be leading attendees to post event beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Giving this thread a bump. There's still time to sign up to clean up all the trash ruining your view as you cruise down Four Mile Run Trail. The clean up is this Saturday from 2-4:30. Sign up is here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/four-mi...15685?ref=ecal

This is billed as the Valentine's Cleanup, so make sure you sign up with your sweetie.

I'm planning on going out for drinks/food afterwards and everyone is invited.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I show up if I didn’t register?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awitt View Post
    Can I show up if I didn’t register?
    Yep! Come on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, such a productive event! Yellow trash bags full of garbage fished from the water, the shore, the hillsides down to the shore, and some of the flats along the bike path itself. Eager to hear the total weight!
    {EDIT: twitter post afterwards, from organizers, says "over half a ton" collected!}
    Can't speak for all the attendees (it sure seemed pretty well attended!) but:

A) SO much nicer weather to encourage cleaning up, vs MLK Day at Belle Haven! What a difference another 18 degrees and no biting wind makes!
    B) SO much readily available trash to pick up--the upside being that it registered very high on the "instant gratification factor"! Progress was almost immediately visible and noticeable.
    C) SO much less styrofoam than Belle Have, which was a wonderful change. However, so many more glass bottles, aluminum cans, and water bottles. Lots of take-away food containers too, at least where I was working.
    D) SO many traffic cones! 4 were collected, I think!
    E) SO many Swisher Sweets wrappers, you'd think there must be a dedicated store nearby, giving them away. Never been a smoker here but simply cannot figure out the appeal of a mango flavored cigarillo...?
    F) SO much metal waste... a whole rear bike wheel, a whole half buried shopping cart, a table / dining knife, a kitchen knife, a bit of metal fencing, etc. a very eclectic mix that kept you wondering what you'd find next...
    G) SO surprising to pull someone's underwear out of the mud. (Then again, maybe not, given all the beer and liquor bottles...)

Many thanks, Judd, for first alerting me to the event, and to Kurt at the Conservancy, for organizing/hosting, and having snacks, chocolate, water, great sturdy trash bags and gloves on hand!
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 02-09-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    Wow, such a productive event! Yellow trash bags full of garbage fished from the water, the shore, the hillsides down to the shore, and some of the flats along the bike path itself. Eager to hear the total weight!
    {EDIT: twitter post afterwards, from organizers, says "over half a ton" collected!}
    Can't speak for all the attendees (it sure seemed pretty well attended!) but:

A) SO much nicer weather to encourage cleaning up, vs MLK Day at Belle Haven! What a difference another 18 degrees and no biting wind makes!
    B) SO much readily available trash to pick up--the upside being that it registered very high on the "instant gratification factor"! Progress was almost immediately visible and noticeable.
    C) SO much less styrofoam than Belle Have, which was a wonderful change. However, so many more glass bottles, aluminum cans, and water bottles. Lots of take-away food containers too, at least where I was working.
    D) SO many traffic cones! 4 were collected, I think!
    E) SO many Swisher Sweets wrappers, you'd think there must be a dedicated store nearby, giving them away. Never been a smoker here but simply cannot figure out the appeal of a mango flavored cigarillo...?
    F) SO much metal waste... a whole rear bike wheel, a whole half buried shopping cart, a table / dining knife, a kitchen knife, a bit of metal fencing, etc. a very eclectic mix that kept you wondering what you'd find next...
    G) SO surprising to pull someone's underwear out of the mud. (Then again, maybe not, given all the beer and liquor bottles...)

Many thanks, Judd, for first alerting me to the event, and to Kurt at the Conservancy, for organizing/hosting, and having snacks, chocolate, water, great sturdy trash bags and gloves on hand!
    Thanks for coming out today and I hope you continue to volunteer with Four Mile Run Conservatory. Today's cleanup made a huge difference. To put the 1,000 pounds collected today in context: The total weight from all of last year's cleanups was around 2,000 pounds. Doing some rough math, I think 2,000 pounds has already been collected this year with four cleanups.

This was my third cleanup with 4MR Conservatory and each part of the river seems to have it's own unique collection of trash. On the Alexandria side next to Mt. Vernon Avenue the trash was mostly plastic shopping bags and food wrappers. I only managed to fill half a bag because everything was so little and light. The cleanup last week near the Route 1 bridge where folks fish a lot was mostly beverage containers, styrofoam and fishing line. A previous cleanup on a side creek was a lot of beverage containers and larger food wrappers.

My suspicion on the Swisher Sweets wrappers would be that it's from the dudes that hang out under and around the bridge at night smoking pot.

10. Likes ChristoB50, Boomer2U liked this post