Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The New Vesper Trail at Tysons

Post Thanks / Like

Smile The New Vesper Trail at Tysons

This new trail is partially open, and as far as I can tell; the only thing left is painting the bridge. They finished paving it two months ago, but some fence links delayed the project. From the W&OD, it took me 12 Minutes to get to it with my road bike(My average speed was 12 MPH). I probably used it 10+ times by now. Here is the route from W&OD to the new trail that I used, and the least stressful. The residential roads north of Maple AVE are wide(4 lanes wide without markings) with few parked cars. I used the road despite not being as confident as others here in this forum, but it was midday. The sidewalks don't suffer from tree roots, so they are an option for less confident cyclists. Compared to using Maple AVE/Chain Bridge RD to get to Tysons, it's almost totally flat, except Creeek Crossing RD, but it's a Yo-Yo, and I reach 20 MPH near the top. The only hot spot to watch out for is the intersection of Church ST and East ST. Too many drivers treat Church ST as "one way", like Wilson/Clarendon in Arlington, and during Spring/Summer vegetation makes it harder to see northbound traffic on East ST, turning left into Church ST.

The easiest thing to overlook when following the route I suggested is to overlook Overlook LN, if you keep going straight, you get an uphill after the curve, so try not overlook Overlook LN. If you missed it, you can turn at the next left, which is just before the hill.
    Last edited by n18; 04-26-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Updated route to use Echols ST and East ST.

2. Likes Shawnbeast, Steve O, Pedal2DC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Ashgrove Trail before, but it involves quite a few hills if you go via the Barns at Wolf Trap. It's good to see another link into Tysons. I wonder if there's a better way linking Tysons from the West (Reston via W&OD) using the Vesper Trail?

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh! This is good information to have. I am going to have to ride my bike out to Tyson's at some point in the near future to test drive some cars (that is a really odd statement...). Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Ooh! This is good information to have. I am going to have to ride my bike out to Tyson's at some point in the near future to test drive some bicycle-carriers (that is a really odd statement...). Thanks for posting!
    fify.

6. Likes LhasaCM, Emm, Sunyata, wheels&wings liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode out to Tysons Friday morning for an appointment and decided to seek out this new trail. It's great to have this connection between Tysons and the neighborhoods just south. Kudos for that.

But I just do not understand why, why, why Fairfax County put in these ridiculous bollards. I know I've beaten this horse before, but they are contrary to FHWA guidance, present several hazards 24/7/365 while maybe--just maybe--preventing 1 car a year from entering the trail. FHWA has determined that the hazard they present far outweighs any safety enhancement they provide. What does FFX County know that FHWA does not?

They are frickin steel and must have cost thousands to install. What a waste, for no discernable purpose.

Here's the south end of the trail at Vesper street in the neighborhood
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	south end of Vesper trail.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	19370

Here's the north end at Route 7

Name:	Route 7 end.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	19371

Here's the same location looking down the trail from Route 7 (note all the extra ones they put around the giant power pole: to protect the pole from being knocked over by bike riders, I guess)

Name:	7 looking south.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	19372

Here's the bridge in the middle, with bonus bollards in case the ones at the end don't work, I guess.

Name:	bridge bollards.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	19373

And if you need to get on the trail with your vehicle, you can just drive around them.

Name:	stupidity.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	19374

Post Thanks / Like

I am generally anti-bollard, but I have to admit that the pics of the north end of 7 make that trail, without the bollard, look like it would be an enticing alternative for a Tyson's driver with below-average driving skills or ethics. A nice, beautiful, traffic-free lane of their own...

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I am generally anti-bollard, but I have to admit that the pics of the north end of 7 make that trail, without the bollard, look like it would be an enticing alternative for a Tyson's driver with below-average driving skills or ethics. A nice, beautiful, traffic-free lane of their own...
    Except that there is a curb there, not a curb cut.

FHWA Guidance states:
    1 - Bollards should never be used as default treatment
    2 - Should only be considered after other efforts have been tried and failed (signage, surface paint, etc.)
    3 - There is a history of encroachment.

Fail. Fail. Fail.

Post Thanks / Like

And, there are treatments to block vehicle access that are safer than a bollard right in the middle of the path. But they're more effort than defaulting to dropping a bollard in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Except that there is a curb there, not a curb cut.

FHWA Guidance states:
    1 - Bollards should never be used as default treatment
    2 - Should only be considered after other efforts have been tried and failed (signage, surface paint, etc.)
    3 - There is a history of encroachment.

Fail. Fail. Fail.
    I never said you were wrong, mind.

No curb cut at a trail intersection = brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    And, there are treatments to block vehicle access that are safer than a bollard right in the middle of the path. But they're more effort than defaulting to dropping a bollard in.
    Something orange might be nice, perhaps a cone.