Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cygolite Metro Light

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Emm and I are both running Fly12 cameras that also have a light. I rarely use the light part of it but it did bail me out once or twice when my main light died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with Judd. Depending on what trails you ride on, the Fly12 may not be sufficient, and the battery isn't great. I would only use it on the MVT or W&OD as a backup light since it's not really strong. But it's worked when my other light has died or I forgot my main light.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I would have gone with it alone. Maybe my current light will work out. It hasnít turned on randomly in over an hour!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I agree with Judd. Depending on what trails you ride on, the Fly12 may not be sufficient, and the battery isn't great. I would only use it on the MVT or W&OD as a backup light since it's not really strong. But it's worked when my other light has died or I forgot my main light.
    Not sure which models you're running; I agree that the original Fly12 had a rather mediocre light for some conditions, but the newer model upped the light output significantly, to the point that I've no issues using it as my primary light (either on "low" setting when in the city/otherwise on a decently lit trail or on a higher setting when out more remotely). The bigger obstacle to its utility for me has been the battery life; I've noticed in the more recent cold spells that I'm only getting about 3-4 hours out of the front light/camera. Not a big deal for normal commuting, but problematic for a longer ride. (I keep a set of See.Sense lights as a backup "just in case")

Like everything - YMMV

4. Likes smb9600 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Not sure which models you're running; I agree that the original Fly12 had a rather mediocre light for some conditions, but the newer model upped the light output significantly, to the point that I've no issues using it as my primary light (either on "low" setting when in the city/otherwise on a decently lit trail or on a higher setting when out more remotely). The bigger obstacle to its utility for me has been the battery life; I've noticed in the more recent cold spells that I'm only getting about 3-4 hours out of the front light/camera. Not a big deal for normal commuting, but problematic for a longer ride. (I keep a set of See.Sense lights as a backup "just in case")

Like everything - YMMV
    I've got the newer one (CE?). I just haven't loved the light compared to my cygolight. If I was just doing city biking, or on trails that weren't completely pitch black and going through forested areas I'd be able to rely on it more.

6. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well - I realized my light only stopped randomly turning on because it died completely Looks like Iím in the market (ASAP) for a new light. Like one I can buy at a LBS tomorrow. I loved the cyglolite (but it only lasted 3 years) anything better out there?

Post Thanks / Like

One sad part about the Cygolites is that their battery is not replaceable. Once it doesn't hold a charge long enough to get you through your rides, you have little choice but to toss it and spend $50-$80 for a replacement. That might take as little as two years depending on your riding habits. I'm on my second Cygolite and expect that I'll need to replace it by next winter.

My dream bike includes a dynamo hub, but for my next purchase I might consider a German light with good beam pattern in order to be more considerate on the trails. A couple of these have good brightness and runtime on rechargeable AAs:

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.php

9. Likes Steve O, smb9600, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I've got the newer one (CE?). I just haven't loved the light compared to my cygolight. If I was just doing city biking, or on trails that weren't completely pitch black and going through forested areas I'd be able to rely on it more.
    I think the light on the Fly12 CE can be used on trails that are completely pitch black and going through forested areas. However, a) even on high, it is not as bright as the high setting on some of the Cygolights, and b) on high, the battery life isn't great. I therefore use the Fly12 CE without the light most of the time. However, if my Cygolite malfunctions for whatever reason, I can use my Fly12 CE on medium on those pitch black trails, and just go more slowly to compensate for the light not being as bright.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Lights and motion also has a new Rando 500 light that has twice the run time as their normal lights.
    I am actually planning on picking one of these up at some point in the very near future. I really like the Light & Motion mounts (rubber strap), so it is really easy to move it back and forth between bikes. (And yes, it is still really secure and does not move around, I borrowed the Bikenetic shop light one night for mountain biking when I forgot my helmet mounted light and it stayed in place VERY nicely!)

I have two different Cygolight commuter lights and have had pretty decent luck with them. One of them even has a replaceable battery. I ended up getting an extra battery for it for DK200 and it has worked well for that. It is the Expilion 850. I also have the Metro 350, which only gets used as my "just in case I get caught in the dark" light for long gravel rides/races.

12. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems many of the cheaper lights last about 3 years. My NiteRider Bug, for instance. It's replacement, NiteRider Swift 450, I expect about the same from, so I just picked up a half-price backup because WBW had it for a ridiculous $20 (Lezyne Micro Drive 450). My primary light that I use on my helmet, the NiteRider MiNewt 600, is 8 years old now and still going strong (knock on my stupid wooden head for saying that), but it wasn't cheap.

So, pay $20 to $30 and get 2 to 3 years, but pay $100 and get 8 to 10? Seems about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    for my next purchase I might consider a German light with good beam pattern in order to be more considerate on the trails. A couple of these have good brightness and runtime on rechargeable AAs:
    I approve of these lights. As an added bonus, it's really easy to carry spares for the ones that run on AAs (or in the worst case, stop at a 7-11 or whatever.)