Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse from Gallery Place?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll muddy the waters even more.

I'd take 50 to Pershing to Edgewood, then get on dasgeh's secret trail (it's a wide, paved neighborhood path with some lovely houses -- she pointed it out to me a few months ago) and stay on that back down to 50. Then go right on 50 (west bound) on the service road past Fillmore - the service road ends there but then a neighborhood path/trail starts there. Just be careful crossing Fillmore from service road to the path. Stay on that path/trail to Irving and cross 50 at Irving (for a little extra adventure, take the raised bridge!). Then stay on Irving down to 9th, make a left to come back over to Fillmore/Walter Reed.

I'm not a fan of Fillmore around 50. It's narrow and there's no bike path. Doable? Sure. Awful? Not really. But I'd rather do the slightly longer, much more pleasant route.

2. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with this route: https://goo.gl/maps/De3BMXy1DKn - uses the south-side Arlington Blvd Trail, crosses the on/off-ramps around Route 50/Washington Blvd (only annoying part of route), takes Courthouse Rd and 8th St to get to Walter Reed Dr.

Btw, the "Secret Trail" is called the Fillmore Park Trail. Go slow if you ride it, as the crossings have poor sightlines and there isn't much room if you need to pass other trail-users (usually dog-walkers).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I'm not a fan of Fillmore around 50. It's narrow and there's no bike path.
    True. But in my experience it makes a huge difference which direction you are going. Northbound it is unpleasant, because some drivers become very impatient following a bike when they can see a green light ahead at 50. Or if traffic is heavy, one could encounter a long line of cars waiting for the light. Southbound neither of these situations is an issue at all, plus the slight downhill puts you closer to vehicle speeds. I usually divert over to Irving when heading north toward Clarendon but stick with Fillmore when heading south.

The underpass along Washington Blvd has high-speed highway ramp crossings. Drivers going from 50EB to 27EB are especially reluctant to stop or yield. I prefer to avoid this interchange entirely.

5. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically, if you ask ten cyclists, you'll get twenty different route suggestions. There's no one great option that stands out above the rest; each route has its positive and negative aspects. So it all depends on how you ascribe relative costs between the various criteria (hills, distance, difficult road crossings, riding in shared traffic, etc.)

My personal choices for routes vary a lot depending on time of day, weather, etc. I enjoy having lots of options for how to get places, and I appreciate that Arlington's general bike-friendliness is why so many options exist.

7. Likes Judd, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Basically, if you ask ten cyclists, you'll get twenty different route suggestions. There's no one great option that stands out above the rest; each route has its positive and negative aspects. So it all depends on how you ascribe relative costs between the various criteria (hills, distance, difficult road crossings, riding in shared traffic, etc.)

My personal choices for routes vary a lot depending on time of day, weather, etc. I enjoy having lots of options for how to get places, and I appreciate that Arlington's general bike-friendliness is why so many options exist.
    Ha, true. I'll almost always take the least stressful way. When driving I'll also avoid left turns (without left-turn lights) and major roads.

The SO: "wait, why are you going this way?"
    ME: "I'M NOT GETTING ON 495 NO WAY AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"

9. Likes LhasaCM, dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    The underpass along Washington Blvd has high-speed highway ramp crossings. Drivers going from 50EB to 27EB are especially reluctant to stop or yield. I prefer to avoid this interchange entirely.
    I don't mind these ramp crossings because (1) there are good sightlines, (2) at the bottom of the 50EB-27EB ramp, drivers generally have to stop anyway, and (3) because of the traffic lights on Washington Blvd and 50, there are gaps in cars. I find that smiling and waving in the most friendly way possible while starting to roll forward is the best way to get drivers to stop.