Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse from Gallery Place?

Post Thanks / Like

Default To Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse from Gallery Place?

I'm checking for a bike route from my office (near Gallery Place) to Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse. At least two out of the three alternatives provided by Google Maps involve riding on Columbia Pike, which is something I vaguely remember I probably shouldn't do. Am I correct in believing that's a bad idea? Would the third alternative at that link (the Arlington Boulevard one) be any better? Or does anyone have a different alternative?

If it matters, I'd be trying to see a show there at 7:30 on Friday, which means I'd be biking a) during rush hour, and b) after dark. I have lots of lights, reflectors, etc., but I'd still like to avoid moron drivers as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

No fan of contemplating riding ON the Pike, in traffic, especially rush hour and dark... of those three routes, I'd pick the one that skirts along RT 50, for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    No fan of contemplating riding ON the Pike, in traffic, especially rush hour and dark... of those three routes, I'd pick the one that skirts along RT 50, for myself.
    Or just ride on the sidewalk for a few blocks and try not to hit any wapo online writers or whatever.

In all seriousness I have ridden on the sidewalks around there a few times for the obvious reasons. Your indirect routes aren't too bad, just very hilly in parts with some "annoying" road crossings.

4. Likes Crickey7, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ride the Pike from the Pentagon to the Drafthouse on a somewhat regular basis & donít find it too bad. I have found that as long as I take the lane, cars are pretty good through there. Also, consider taking Southgate Rd to cut out the hill near the Air Force Memorial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live near your destination, so I've done this trip many times, albeit usually not at rush hour. Here's a route I like, which adds some extra minutes but avoids the worst traffic spots (except IOD of course!).

When I come up Columbia Pike, I always take the lane through the interchange (Orme to Queen), usually hop on the sidewalk from there up to Rolfe, then head over to 9th Street and cut through the Columbia Crossing parking lot back to the Pike. From there, I will either take the lane or the sidewalk depending on how many cars I see coming up the hill and how many peds I see on that sidewalk. Past Courthouse Rd, the sidewalk gets much busier with pedestrian activity, so I would take the lane. If you don't wish to stay in the lane all the way up to the drafthouse, 9th Street is a useful alternative.

The southside Route 50 trail is nice from Iwo Jima up to Pershing Street, but I avoid the northside trail west of there, which has multiple dicey crossings/intersections. Whenever I use that trail, I instead take Pershing west across Washington Blvd directly to Fillmore southbound.
    Last edited by scoot; 01-23-2019 at 09:26 PM.

8. 01-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    The southside Route 50 trail is nice from Iwo Jima up to Pershing Street, but I avoid the northside trail west of there, which has multiple dicey crossings/intersections. Whenever I use that trail, I instead take Pershing west across Washington Blvd directly to Fillmore southbound.
    This. Route 50 trail to Pershing. Pershing to Fillmore. Fillmore becomes Walter Reed and--voila!--you're there. This is my route when I go to the Drafthouse after work.

10. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This. Route 50 trail to Pershing. Pershing to Fillmore. Fillmore becomes Walter Reed and--voila!--you're there. This is my route when I go to the Drafthouse after work.
    I've used this route plenty of times too, and it's my preference. I find it to be safe, not too hilly (although definitely a hill), and overall a pleasant ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I've used this route plenty of times too, and it's my preference. I find it to be safe, not too hilly (although definitely a hill), and overall a pleasant ride.
    I live in the 'hood, so walk. But seriously ... the above is probably your best bet if you're trying to avoid riding on The Pike.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Google has some bad information, so isn't giving you some of the better options.

If you don't mind a little bit of riding on the Pike, I'd take this route (Memorial Bridge -> 27 Trail -> Pike (stay on the trail there) -> Southgate Road -> Orme -> Pike (sidewalk) -> NEW TRAIL STARTING AT TOWERS PARK -> 6th -> Walter Reed (If you're feeling confident, you can save the detour via the new trail, but the sidewalk along the Pike gets very, very bad, so you'll have to take the lane -- the trail route adds 1/2 mile).

If you want to avoid the Pike entirely, I'd take this route: the south side 50 trail to Pershing, as recommended, but I'd then take Edgewood to the "Secret Trail" (I don't know what the official name is, but it runs behind Long Branch ES), and then the trail along 27 to Syphax.

The Rte 50 route adds 1 mile over the Pike + trail route. Personally, I'd take the Pike + trail route.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post

The Rte 50 route adds 1 mile over the Pike + trail route. Personally, I'd take the Pike + trail route.
    I get 6.9 miles v. your 6.7.

Name:  6 point 9.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  20.2 KB

15. Likes huskerdont liked this post