Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Runoff and ice on the MVT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Runoff and ice on the MVT

Since the fall, I have noticed a significant amount of water on parts of the MVT, between the Roosevelt and Memorial Bridges, as well as just south of Memorial. I had not been in the trail in a bit, and this morning there was a significant amount of ice, including a nasty stretch on the rise just south of Memorial. This would be particularly nasty in the evening.

There hasnít been any rain in days, so I donít see why there would be so much water in the trail. Can anyone shed light on what is going on?

Post Thanks / Like

I assumed it's because the DC area had the most rain in recorded history in 2018 and the ground is just saturated, so if you ride past with a half-full water bottle it overflows. Also remember that the Parkway is surely sloped so that any rain that lands on it is diverted into the grass by the trail because GOD [expletive deleted] FORBID we inconvenience a car commuter

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

That area of the MVT south of Memorial Bridge historically gets water seepage most of the year. You just notice it more when it turns to ice. As Jon said 2018 was historically wet, so don't expect this to dry out before next summer (if there is a drought then).