Likes Likes:  49
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday, January 14: snow shoveling on the Mount Vernon Trail

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday, January 14: snow shoveling on the Mount Vernon Trail

In case you missed the milk-and-toilet-paper rush at the grocery store, there's a snowstorm predicted for this weekend. You too can be like the cool and helpful people in the first photo below, and help clear snow off the Mount Vernon Trail.

The details: the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail are planning to shovel snow off the trail on Monday afternoon, January 14. We'll start at the LBJ Grove and (time permitting) work southward to hit the usual trouble spots -- the Humpback Bridge, the area by the ramp up to the 14th Street Bridge, and the underpasses south of the 14th Street Bridge. Please show up any time during between 2:00 and 6:00 p.m. and stay for however long you can. We'll provide snow shovels, although feel free to bring your own tools. Also, we're keeping an eye on the forecast and will post an update no later than 5:00 p.m. on Saturday if plans change.

Hope to see you there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update: I still plan to shovel on Monday afternoon -- and if this forecast holds, I'm going to need all the help I can get. The only change is that I'm now planning to be there starting at 1:00 p.m. Please feel free to stop by any time between then and 6:00 p.m., even if it's just for a few minutes. Thanks, and hope to see you there.

3. Likes Judd, CBGanimal liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody should up for this at least to say hello. Play your cards ride and Komorebi might let you use the Friends of Mount Vernon Trail's brand new 36" Snow Plow: The Snow Pusher, a tool which will OBLITERATE SNOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget. This is a double point event for the Queen of the Trail and King of the Trail prize.

Full details on the prize are here:
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...227#post185227

Post Thanks / Like

Please, please, please let the snow for Sunday (ideally, in the further surrounding areas of DC) be significant enough to trigger a Federal snow closure Monday morning (if that is that even possible during a partial shutdown?? -- a Federal snow closure Monday is the only way I'll have the day off, to come help out any time during the hours you listed!

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Snow day wishes granted! I will endeavor to be at LBJ at 1pm... will you be starting out in the marina parking lot, or some central departure point, or should I just walk under the parkway bridge and look for shovellers?

9. Likes Judd, komorebi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like Iíll probably be able to get there around 1. Due to a not great software deployment I have tomorrow off in exchange for staying up until 4 a.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    Snow day wishes granted! I will endeavor to be at LBJ at 1pm... will you be starting out in the marina parking lot, or some central departure point, or should I just walk under the parkway bridge and look for shovellers?
    Awesome, thanks! Look for yellow shovels and bright purple signs saying Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail. My plan is to start at the wooden bridge connecting the Pentagon and the LBJ Grove, then move east and south toward the MVT. Our exact location will depend on what (if anything) NPS is able to clear before 1:00 p.m. NPS announced last week that they'd be clearing sidewalks in the D.C. area despite the government shutdown, but I don't know whether that includes the trails on the LBJ Grove --> Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial --> Humpback Bridge route. If it doesn't, then we'll try to clear that section first. If it does, then we'll move south and tackle the area near and under the 14th Street Bridge.

13. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hereís what the purple Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail signs look like:

Iím looking forward to seeing folks out there. Donít forget that if youíre competing for King or Queen of the Trail points todayís snow removal is worth double points.

Post Thanks / Like

I read your text too fast and was sad when I didn't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Hereís what the purple Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail signs look like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grimacetricorn.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	18934

16. Likes komorebi, Steve O, Judd, Boomer2U liked this post