Likes Likes:  713
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 289

Thread: Pointless Prize: KOT and QOT

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Riverdale, MD
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is the type of pointless prize that no matter who gets all the points, everyone wins!

  2. Likes LhasaCM, Judd, Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Riverdale, MD
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a lot of extra trash bags and recycling bags left over from today. If you would like to organize your own event, please let me know and I will be happy to donate materials to the cause!

  4. Likes Judd, kwarkentien liked this post
  5. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Riverdale, MD
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Pointless Prize: KOT and QOT

    Update:

    There were a total of 5 participants in the Anacostia River Trail cleanup this morning- Robynne McRey, Chris Watson, Jessica Hirshhorn, HF, and Sarah Bee. Each should get 5 points for participation and for picking up trash at an NPS facility during shutdown. We didnít get very far because there was so much concentrated trash. It will take weeks to clean up that stretch of trail. Extra points should be given for showing up even with a snowstorm in the weather predictions. The best part was, however, when an NPS park policeman drove up and thanked us and even though he was out there on a Saturday working with no pay. Very heartfelt, very sad.

  6. #14
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Update:

    There were a total of 5 participants in the Anacostia River Trail cleanup this morning- Robynne McRey, Chris Watson, Jessica Hirshhorn, HF, and Sarah Bee. Each should get 5 points for participation and for picking up trash at an NPS facility during shutdown. We didn’t get very far because there was so much concentrated trash. It will take weeks to clean up that stretch of trail. Extra points should be given for showing up even with a snowstorm in the weather predictions. The best part was, however, when an NPS park policeman drove up and thanked us and even though he was out there on a Saturday working with no pay. Very heartfelt, very sad.

    Robyne gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional point has been awarded for managing to avoid having er picture taken. 6 points!
    Chris gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional point has been awarded for cleaning up trash with what appears to be a broken windshield squeegee. 6 points!
    HF gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional two points has been awarded for avoiding Sarah Bee's attempt to push him in to the river. 7 points!
    Jessica gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional point has been awarded for wearing cool shades while doing it it. 6 points!
    Sarah Bee gets 15 points for organizing a trail cleanup. Two bonus points for offering up extra bags and gloves to anyone who wants to organize a cleanup. One bonus point for calling HF Nancy Kerrigan before trying to push him in to the river. Two bonus points for causing a positive interaction between cyclists and the NPS police. 20 Points puts Sarah in the lead for Queen of the Trail!

    Thank you to everyone who participated. The Anacostia River Trail is not only a wonderful trail for walkers and cyclists but also a great park enjoyed by many people for recreation. Your efforts have made it better for everyone.

  7. 01-12-2019, 05:01 PM

    Reason
    Already documented

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fairfax
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Robyne gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional point has been awarded for managing to avoid having er picture taken. 6 points!
    Chris gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional point has been awarded for cleaning up trash with what appears to be a broken windshield squeegee. 6 points!
    HF gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional two points has been awarded for avoiding Sarah Bee's attempt to push him in to the river. 7 points!
    Jessica gets 5 points for participating in a trail cleanup. An additional point has been awarded for wearing cool shades while doing it it. 6 points!
    Sarah Bee gets 15 points for organizing a trail cleanup. Two bonus points for offering up extra bags and gloves to anyone who wants to organize a cleanup. One bonus point for calling HF Nancy Kerrigan before trying to push him in to the river. Two bonus points for causing a positive interaction between cyclists and the NPS police. 20 Points puts Sarah in the lead for Queen of the Trail!

    Thank you to everyone who participated. The Anacostia River Trail is not only a wonderful trail for walkers and cyclists but also a great park enjoyed by many people for recreation. Your efforts have made it better for everyone.
    In the interest of full disclosure, I arrived too late and missed the cleanup crew. I did, however, pick up a few plastic bottles and recycled them when I got home.

  9. Likes kwarkentien, Edelweiss liked this post
  10. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Since (1) that turn ALWAYS annoys me after a snowstorm and (2) we now have a pint-sized shovel that's easy to grab and go - I took some time to clear out the transition from 8th NE to the "no cars allowed" part on the MBT. (The DDOT truck took care of most of the trail, but couldn't deal with that transition.) Hopefully the efforts will pay off in an easier commute tomorrow morning

    Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190113_101926.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	18917

    During (courtesy of DDOT - didn't realize until I rolled away that I kept my helmet on the entire time):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DwzahqdXgAA-1aV.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	18919

    After:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190113_105533.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	18918

    (I also took care of a few spots further down the MBT by Rhode Island Ave. and S street, but didn't get an audience for those)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Josephine is on the board with five points! An additional point has been awarded for sharing trail cleanup pro tips. Another point has been awarded for surviving the thorn bushes. 7 points total.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This point system appears to be totally arbitrary. 👍

  12. Dislikes Edelweiss disliked this post
  13. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    This point system appears to be totally arbitrary.
    Ummmmm, what did you expect. This is Freezing Saddles after all.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  14. Likes LhasaCM, KWL, Judd, Edelweiss, Steve O liked this post
  15. #19
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reji View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, I arrived too late and missed the cleanup crew. I did, however, pick up a few plastic bottles and recycled them when I got home.
    Adjusting score.

    -5 points for not making it to the event.
    2 points for honesty and 2 points picking up bottles along the trail.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. Likes Edelweiss liked this post
  17. #20
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Since (1) that turn ALWAYS annoys me after a snowstorm and (2) we now have a pint-sized shovel that's easy to grab and go - I took some time to clear out the transition from 8th NE to the "no cars allowed" part on the MBT. (The DDOT truck took care of most of the trail, but couldn't deal with that transition.) Hopefully the efforts will pay off in an easier commute tomorrow morning

    Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190113_101926.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	18917

    During (courtesy of DDOT - didn't realize until I rolled away that I kept my helmet on the entire time):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DwzahqdXgAA-1aV.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	18919

    After:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190113_105533.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	18918

    (I also took care of a few spots further down the MBT by Rhode Island Ave. and S street, but didn't get an audience for those)
    Nice!

    Two points for a random act of goodness. Four additional points for it being a particularly strenuous act of goodness. Two more points for reducing the likelihood of someone being injured on a trail. Two more points for getting a cyclist doing a good thing noticed by DDOT. 10 points!

    On a personal note it has been awesome to see your transition from guy who posted on the forum to guy who has been on tv talking about biking and who stops to fix a trouble spot on a trail. Iím glad to have you as a friend.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. Likes Edelweiss, Steve O liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •