Likes Likes:  512
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: KOT and QOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Two points for Lumberjacking a problematic sign.
    We talked about this. Unless used as a proper noun, lumberjacking is not capitalized. Minus 2 points.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    We talked about this. Unless used as a proper noun, lumberjacking is not capitalized. Minus 2 points.
    Lumberjacking is capitalized because it is derived from a proper noun much like we would write that “Kitty speaks Portuguese” and not “Kitty speaks portuguese.”

I suspect that over time as my legacy fades, people will tend to stop capitalizing it.

3. Likes Christob50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But you already were using it correctly before. You seem to have self aggrandized it back:
    Ricky gets two points for a random act of trail goodness. An additional 5 points have been added for using an advanced lumberjacking method.
    Chris B gets two points for lumberjacking a trash can that was blocking a sidewalk. An additional point has been awarded for defeating Emm's trashcan NIMBYism. 3 points!
    I'm jonesing for proper non-capitalization of lumberjacking.
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-31-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Huh? Portuguese is a noun, not a verb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    But you already were using it correctly before. You seem to have self aggrandized it back:

I'm jonesing for proper non-capitalization of lumberjacking.
    Steve O gets negative 1 million points for devoting energy to grammar instead of trails. -1 million points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it’s going to be 40s and partly sunny for this Saturday’s Four Mike Run clean-up from 2-4:30.

I’m up for drinks and food afterwards.

Sign up for the event here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/clean-s...ebapi&ref=eios

Update: tomorrow’s cleanup atFour Mike Run has been moved to noon. Thanks to Josephine for the catch. I had an unread email from the organizer with the new time. The good news is that we get beer two hours earlier.

7. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: tomorrow’s cleanup atFour Mike Run has been moved to noon. Thanks to Josephine for the catch. I had an unread email from the organizer with the new time. The good news is that we get beer two hours earlier.

E-mail Update for today's Four Mile Run cleanup is below. Note that the starting location is where Commonwealth Ave meets Four Mile Run on the Alexandria side. Approximate address is 3750 Commonwealth. Officially the event is sold out, but I'm bringing a pannier full of trash grabbers, bags and gloves to help accommodate more participants. There's a whole lot of trash on the river banks so we could use you. Hope to see you at noon today!

Thank you for volunteering for this Saturday's clean-up at lower Four Mile Run! We should have decent weather (though cold!), and I'm writing to share a few details. Please review the details below, as some have changed from what was posted on Eventbrite. Also, I apologize for any confusion over the time, as I apparently updated the time only on one Eventbrite form, and missed it somewhere else.

WHEN/WHERE TO MEET:
    We will meet at noon at the parking area on Commonwealth Avenue, between the baseball and softball fields (approximate address is 3750 Commonwealth Ave., Alexandria, VA 22305). This is different from what was originally posted.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
    We will focus on cleaning up some of the larger items accessible at low tide. Today I spotted five tires, a shopping cart, a bicycle, and other items, most on the Arlington side. If the work goes quickly and we don't find it too cold, we can then address some of the smaller litter in the vicinity. Please note:

· If you own wading boots (hip waders are perfect), please bring them, as we will be in shallow water and/or mud in most places. We have several sets of waders and boots available, though the size range is limited.
    · Snacks, trash grabbers, bags, and work gloves will be provided.
    · Dress for warmth, with clothes that you wouldn't mind getting dirty. If you have waterproof gloves, you'll probably find them well worthwhile.
    · Other helpful items: hat, water bottle, multi-tool or pocket knife

I look forward to seeing you Saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

I neglected to take a picture of the whole group but thank you to Adam, Leo, Chris W, Robyne and Casey Kane for coming out yesterday to clean up Four Mile Run. We were able to get most of the trash along the Alexandria side of the river from Commonwealth Ave to Route 1.

There is still lots of trash out there and I hope you’ll join me next Saturday for the special Valentine’s Day edition cleanup. Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/four-mi...ts-52965315685

Thank you to everyone who came out. Our trails exist mostly because people showed up and gave a damn. There’s also great power in forming and joining groups. This cleanup and next week’s was put on by the Four Mile Run Conservatory.

Here’s Robyne with the most interesting find of the day, a 20 foot pipe of unknown origin:

Here’s the haul from 6 people working for 2 hours. The official tally was 273 pounds of trash.

10. Likes LhasaCM, Christob50, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High Wind Warnings in Colorado, Trees Over Trail

It was warmer here today, but a hellacious wind had whipped up over the mountains, causing havoc on the trails. Sticks are down everywhere, but a large 2-trunked tree blocked my way here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190203_115644.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	19293

I tried to move it for a while alone, I did clear a lot of branches, and then this guy on a bike, he was wearing a Broncos shirt, on came along, and between us we dragged the tree trunks off the trail.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190203_120300.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	19292

The wind got worse and worse, dust and grit blinding me, and more than one grit-gravel facial forced me to turn around sooner than I had planned. K

12. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my first long ride in a month, today (long,for me, is 30 miles and above) and saw the impressive pile of yellow trash bags near the Toyota dealer... well done! (And another trash pile up, including a shopping cart and car tire, on the opposite bank, trailside... was that you all too?)
    I couldn't join the event, but my plan is to attend the upcoming one!

14. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    I got my first long ride in a month, today (long,for me, is 30 miles and above) and saw the impressive pile of yellow trash bags near the Toyota dealer... well done! (And another trash pile up, including a shopping cart and car tire, on the opposite bank, trailside... was that you all too?)
    I couldn't join the event, but my plan is to attend the upcoming one!
    The other pile of trash was from the cleanup as well. The bikey people cleaned along the Alexandria side and another group with waders worked the Arlington side to get some of the big items like shopping carts and tires.

Looking forward to seeing you next week. I’m hoping we have enough people to get all of the river bank between Route 1 and Mt. Vernon Ave.