Likes Likes:  208
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: KOT and QOT

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize: KOT and QOT

Chasing King of the Mountain and Queen of the Mountain segments on Strava is so passe. All of the elite Freezing Saddles participants are now competing to be King of the Trail or Queen of the Trail. Being KoT or QoT is easy. All you have to do is volunteer to take care of the parks and trails that provide safe places and beautiful views while you're on your bike. I'll post opportunities to score points here and encourage others to do the same. Points are available for any activity involving improving a trail, a park or a waterway.

Points will be awarded for the following and are subject to arbitrary additions and awards of bonus points:
    Reporting a problem about a trail - 1 point (Example would be a 311 report or contacting NPS when the shutdown is over)
    Solo act of goodness - 2 points (Example would be stopping to clear glass from a trail, remove a branch or "Lumberjacking" an issue)
    Attending a trail advocacy meeting - 4 points (Example would be new Long Bridge meetings or Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail meetings)
    Taking out the trash at a National Park during the shutdown - 5 points (I hear Belle Haven Park could use some help right now)
    Taking someone for a ride on a trail that they've never ridden before - 5 points
    Volunteering for an event - 5 points (Example would be cleanups, invasive removal or maintenance events)
    Organizing an event - 15 points (Example is Sarah Bee's Anacostia River Trailcleanup this Saturday

To score points, post a description of the awesome thing you did along with a picture. Slam that stem on your carbon fiber trash grabber and get to work. The King of the Trail and the Queen of the Trail will win a super neat prize to be determined, which I promise is not a framed picture of Lord of the Mark.

The official leaderboard is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Judd; 01-16-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great points opportunity this weekend cleaning litter up on the Anacostia River Trail. Thank you Sarah Bee for organizing. Event details are here: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...937#post184937

3. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Furloughed and feeling down? Fret not. Four Mile Run Conservatory is hosting a Furlough Friday Special from noon to 2 this Friday. You'll have the opportunity to help clean up the wetlands in South Four Mile Run Park that are a haven for wildlife along the trail. This is a really fun organization that's working to preserve, restore and improve Four Mile Run. They also have cool equipment like waders to lend if you're interested in really diving in.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/furloug...dssbdestsearch

5. Likes Starduster, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: is this prize covering activities from this point forward, or is it retroactive to the beginning of Freezing Saddles (i.e., starting on January 1)? Asking for "a friend" who helped this branch find its companions off the MVT...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-01 brush.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	18850

7. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Question: is this prize covering activities from this point forward, or is it retroactive to the beginning of Freezing Saddles (i.e., starting on January 1)? Asking for "a friend" who helped this branch find its companions off the MVT...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-01 brush.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	18850
    We're going retroactive to January 1st. Two points for Chris for a solo act of goodness by removing a branch from the Mount Vernon Trail and helping other trail users avoid injury. An additional 1 point has been award for doing good without the promise of award.

3 pointer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shook Run Trail Clean-up

While you were all enjoying beer and falafel at the Happy Hour, I was out with the Pike Ride team (Colorado Springs bike share) cleaning up a section of the Shooks Run Trail.
    Lots of junk, socks, rotten pumpkin, plastic, beer bottles, a baby swing, a ruined bike, part of a cooler, jeans, more litter...
    Here is the gang rolling out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190110_154344.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	18864
    One guy hauled out a gross blanket, Tina with another full sack,
    and the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547162929174.jpg_1547162930680.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	18861 "After" shot of a section I cleaned up (I got that little red thing after I shot the photo!).
    No amount of editing and rotating results in the photos upright, sorry.
    Edelweiss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547163654323.jpg_1547163658105.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	18862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547163687018.jpg_1547163690268.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	18863  

10. Likes LhasaCM, Judd, SarahBee, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    While you were all enjoying beer and falafel at the Happy Hour, I was out with the Pike Ride team (Colorado Springs bike share) cleaning up a section of the Shooks Run Trail.
    Lots of junk, socks, rotten pumpkin, plastic, beer bottles, a baby swing, a ruined bike, part of a cooler, jeans, more litter...
    Here is the gang rolling out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190110_154344.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	18864
    One guy hauled out a gross blanket, Tina with another full sack,
    and the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547162929174.jpg_1547162930680.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	18861 "After" shot of a section I cleaned up (I got that little red thing after I shot the photo!).
    No amount of editing and rotating results in the photos upright, sorry.
    Edelweiss
    Kate's on the board with a five pointer for participating in a trail clean up. Two additional points have been awarded for doing it on a bike share. 7 points! Kate is pulling in to an early lead.

12. Likes Edelweiss, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Double Point Opportunity!!!

Josephine from the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail has organized this year's first FOMVT Snow Patrol Team event. With snow expected this weekend and NPS furloughed, the snow patrol will ensure that the path from LBJ Memorial Grove to the 14th St Bridge will be cleared so that folks can still get across the river. As an extra incentive, this event will award DOUBLE KOT and QOT points. Plus, it's pretty fun.

Potential bonus points if you make a snow angel.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...279#post185279

Post Thanks / Like

Default Furlough Friday at Four Mile Run

Here is just some of the trash that we picked up in Four Mile Run Park today:

Not pictured: the muddy, abandoned red kids' bike that someone pulled out the streambed. Seeing that made me sad.

Today I learned:

• Organizers of trash cleanup events should have more trash bags on hand than they think they'll need.
    • Manipulating a trash grabber and an oversize trash bag is awkward when you're a short person with T-Rex arms, like me.
    • When you're picking up bottles and cans, turn them upside down to empty out all the nasty liquid inside before you put them in your trash bag. Eww.
    • The beer-drinking bozos who like to toss their empties at the end of the Four Mile Run Wetlands Trail favor Heineken or Tecate.
    • That area has lots of thorny plants. Ow, ow, ow.

15. Likes Judd, LhasaCM, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Here is just some of the trash that we picked up in Four Mile Run Park today:

Not pictured: the muddy, abandoned red kids' bike that someone pulled out the streambed. Seeing that made me sad.

Today I learned:

• Organizers of trash cleanup events should have more trash bags on hand than they think they'll need.
    • Manipulating a trash grabber and an oversize trash bag is awkward when you're a short person with T-Rex arms, like me.
    • When you're picking up bottles and cans, turn them upside down to empty out all the nasty liquid inside before you put them in your trash bag. Eww.
    • The beer-drinking bozos who like to toss their empties at the end of the Four Mile Run Wetlands Trail favor Heineken or Tecate.
    • That area has lots of thorny plants. Ow, ow, ow.
    Josephine is on the board with five points! An additional point has been awarded for sharing trail cleanup pro tips. Another point has been awarded for surviving the thorn bushes. 7 points total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes LhasaCM, SarahBee, kwarkentien liked this post