Likes Likes:  55
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLK Day of Service - Friends of Mount Vernon Trail Cleanup

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MLK Day of Service - Friends of Mount Vernon Trail Cleanup

The Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail (a group founded by some of your favorite forum members) will be holding a trail cleanup from Belle Haven Park north towards Alexandria as part of the MLK Day of Service. We need your help! The multiple floods this year mean that a large amount of garbage has washed up next to the trail, marring our beautiful view of the Potomac. We'll provide trash grabbers, trash bags and gloves. If you're biking there make sure you have shoes that are comfortable to walk in and an extra layer to keep warm. Also, note that if the government is still shutdown, the bathroom at Belle Haven Park and Jones Point will be closed. I'll likely hit up District Taco afterwards for lunch and everyone is invited.

Full event details and registration are at the link below.

When: Monday, January 21st from 10-noon
    Where: Belle Haven Park (meet near the bathroom)
    Why: Because you love the Mount Vernon Trail or at least want to curry favor with Judd

Please RSVP at the following link so that we know that you're coming and also so we can notify you if the event plan changes for any reason.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-day...on-53846408056

You can learn more about the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail at:
    MountVernonTrail.org
    twitter.com/mtvernonfriends
    facebook.com/MountVernonTrailFriends
    instagram.com/mountvernontrail
    Last edited by Judd; 01-08-2019 at 10:24 PM.

2. Likes Emm, dasgeh, secstate liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Full event details and registration are at the link below.

When: Monday, January 21st from 10-noon
    Where: Belle Haven Park (meet near the bathroom)
    Why: Because you love the Mount Vernon Trail or at least want to curry favor with Judd

Please RSVP at the following link so that we know that you're coming and also so we can notify you if the event plan changes for any reason.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-day...on-53846408056
    This has been added to the calendar.

4. Likes Judd, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumpity bump bump. There's about 22 folks signed up currently and including several members of the forum. Thank you to everyone who has signed up. The shoreline is pretty trash filled and we could use lots more volunteers to help get our trail looking pretty again.

Please sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-day...on-53846408056

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumpity bump bump. There's about 22 folks signed up currently and including several members of the forum. Thank you to everyone who has signed up. The shoreline is pretty trash filled and we could use lots more volunteers to help get our trail looking pretty again.

Please sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-day...on-53846408056
    It's going to be really cold. Do we need to bring boots or can we just walk on the ice? Seriously, are we going to be wading in to get to the trash?

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    It's going to be really cold. Do we need to bring boots or can we just walk on the ice? Seriously, are we going to be wading in to get to the trash?
    There shouldn’t be any wading. Event will be near low tide and most of the trash is in solid ground. Hiking type boots are recommended since we will be in dormant vegetation and lots of washed up wood bits that are like a bed of mulch. With the recent snow, it's possible that it might be damp. I'll do a check on Saturday to see what conditions are like and plan to send an e-mail through eventbrite with reminders and any updates. Weather forecast is cold so wear layers.

I’ll have trash grabbers for use, trash bags and work gloves, although with the weather I suspect most people will be wearing winter gloves. I'm gonna try to get a few boxes of hand and foot warmers to make sure no one loses any digits.
    Last edited by Judd; 01-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.

10. Likes KWL, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the condition of the MVT heading south from the Porto Vecchio condos? Is it reasonable for me to expect clear riding to Belle Haven Park?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    What is the condition of the MVT heading south from the Porto Vecchio condos? Is it reasonable for me to expect clear riding to Belle Haven Park?
    Iím giving it a check tomorrow to see what the trail and shoreline are looking like. Will have an update tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes KWL, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Judd;
    Using Google Maps satellite view -- Looks like you pull into the "Driveway" (that leads to the marina boat docks) -- then turn left onto the little roadway that connects to the parks's 3 parking lots... are the restrooms/meet point visible from those lots? (I've not stopped at this particular park before, so I'm not familiar with the layout, and don't want to wander around (in the teen-degree weather) hunting for the group any more than necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    Hi Judd;
    Using Google Maps satellite view -- Looks like you pull into the "Driveway" (that leads to the marina boat docks) -- then turn left onto the little roadway that connects to the parks's 3 parking lots... are the restrooms/meet point visible from those lots? (I've not stopped at this particular park before, so I'm not familiar with the layout, and don't want to wander around (in the teen-degree weather) hunting for the group any more than necessary
    The parking lot is very visible and well marked. The bathrooms are adjacent to it. Pull in off the gw parkway, then go left like you say be above. You'll see the bathrooms really quick. It's a big parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím giving it a check tomorrow to see what the trail and shoreline are looking like. Will have an update tomorrow afternoon.
    If you are accessing the MVT at Royal Street underneath the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, the trail is clear of any snow to the Belle Haven parking lot. Freezing temperatures on Monday might have an impact, unless the winds tomorrow dry out the pavement.

South of Belle Haven and north through Jones Point Park and north of Old Town is a different story.

South of Belle Haven, the first two bridges are ice covered. Including the long bridge over Dykes Marsh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC7E43E9-8183-4B7E-9338-47E73F915D53.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	19032

In Jones Point Park, just north of the Wilson Bridge is a patch of ice.

Name:	3C5C874E-F6C6-4FBD-9FBA-4E0A94D1F4DE.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	19033

North of Old Town, the first three bridges are not suitable for bike riding.

Name:	3FB618E1-9DD8-4492-B78E-126B0E46C002.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	19034

Name:	D1ABCE5F-19D2-4551-A679-7BF5F4F0487C.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	19035

Name:	EB23AA27-6B9E-4085-A67E-54EC8A15C2E7.jpg