Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars going off GW Parkway between North Boundary Channel and Trollheim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Well of course speed is a factor for crashes/incidents all along the GWMP, but this spot and the incidents that happen there are pretty unique and speed on its own can't explain it. The physics of it just don't add up...going off the right side of the road in a sweeping right turn is exactly the opposite of what should happen when taking a corner too fast. So what about the road design in this particular area contributes to these incidents?
    Night time combination of poor lighting and optical illusion. The trail and road are barely separated: no shoulder, faded white line, low curb, no overhead lights. Driver trying to stay to the right on the turn mistakes the bike lane for the right lane of the GWMP. If a car is not following the brakes lights of a car ahead of them, their headlights don't give them much reaction time to even a small mistake.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    Night time combination of poor lighting and optical illusion. The trail and road are barely separated: no shoulder, faded white line, low curb, no overhead lights. Driver trying to stay to the right on the turn mistakes the bike lane for the right lane of the GWMP. If a car is not following the brakes lights of a car ahead of them, their headlights don't give them much reaction time to even a small mistake.
    Are we talking about the same spot? Also, the times I know where cars have gone off the road here have all been during morning rush hour in essentially normal weather conditions. ::shrug::

Post Thanks / Like

Are we talking about the same spot? Also, the times I know where cars have gone off the road here have all been during morning rush hour in essentially normal weather conditions. ::shrug::
    Pretty much yeh, but from this spot . I thought you were talking about finding the remnants of overnight crashes. If it's daytime though I have to up the Stupid Meter and guess that people are driving while looking at a map on their phone. And they think the trail is an entrance ramp to the Roosevelt Bridge? But that would be off the chart stupid.
    Last edited by Brendan von Buckingham; 01-11-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was first commenting on that whole stretch, but most seem to end up where you reference. They may start having issues where Brendan references and I am certain over the years I have seen some there. I think that is about where I saw a dead deer once too. Perhaps that is a cause? Although I have rarely seen deer on this stretch while the same state of twilight I have seen deer on the W&OD and Custis.