Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Curious about the W&OD between Falls Church and Wheile Ave and beyond. Anyone tried it recently?
    Last edited by Fast Friendly Guy; 01-20-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know if Hains Point is currently open to ride? My Bike House friends want to do a coldest day ride (course they're not tough enough for BAFS -- kidding) and wondered.
    I will not be riding !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Anyone know if Hains Point is currently open to ride? My Bike House friends want to do a coldest day ride (course they're not tough enough for BAFS -- kidding) and wondered.
    I will not be riding !!

I was told yesterday that the gates are still closed but can be ducked under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha.

Post Thanks / Like

Answering my own post: W&OD between Falls Church and Weihle Ave

FREE and CLEAR:

6. Likes bikedavid, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    Answering my own post: W&OD between Falls Church and Weihle Ave

FREE and CLEAR:
    It must be ridiculously cold by the soccer field at Clarks Crossing Park. I have always thought that was the coldest part of the W&OD even in warm weather.

8. Likes highline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Prince George's county, the Anacostia Tributary trails and ART are clear down the main spine from Lake Artemesia to DC. Lake Artemesia, the Paint Branch trail east of Route 1, the NE Branch trail, the NW branch trail between Route 1 and 38th Street, the Indian Creek trail connection to Greenbelt, and the ART down to the DC line including the boardwalks at Bladensburg marina area, are all clear. However, there are some huge puddles that almost certainly flash froze last night, some of which are easily avoided by riding along the bank, but others will have to be carefully walked, or daringly ridden.

10. Likes LhasaCM, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know whether the W&OD and Custis are clear from Falls Church into DC? Deciding whether to ride studs or road tires tomorrow. Studs slowed me down all last week but I am conservative and will ride on them if there's any ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoglaces View Post
    Anyone know whether the W&OD and Custis are clear from Falls Church into DC? Deciding whether to ride studs or road tires tomorrow. Studs slowed me down all last week but I am conservative and will ride on them if there's any ice.
    I'm planning to ride regular road tires. The W&OD is totally fine. I did not ride the Custis today, but have ridden it for years and rode it home on Friday, so I'll take a guess:
    The one spot I suspect may be iced over is the Spout Run skating rink. So be prepared to slow down and take a good look before you arrive at the east end. Other than that I'll be surprised if there are any other issues.

Post Thanks / Like

CCT - Two very low hanging bamboo shoots across the trail just east of the tunnel. Easy to duck under, just don't forget to duck. The trail is 99% clear, but careful of the 1%, which is obviously hard frozen this morning. Easy to have a tire redirected when you're not expecting it.