Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Custis is re-freezing fast and felt kinda dangerous in a lot of places, even with studs. The zig-zag at the East Falls Church basketball courts is also awful. I slid out even with studs, but the studs probably helped keep upright.
    That section looked SUPER sketchy again this morning and I diverted to the snow like I did yesterday.

Overall, the Custis was better this morning than it was yesterday, but I still bailed at Ballston and took Fairfax in to Courthouse.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    The trail next to 27/Washington Blvd was clear from Columbia Pike all the way to Arlington Memorial Bridge. MVT from Arlington Memorial through Trollheim was really bad. I tried to put up a good fight riding it on my 32s, but on hindsight, it should have been faster walking it.

Rosslyn hill on Custis was clear, except for a patch between the sound wall.
    Now there are 2 trails next to 27/Washington Blvd and both start near Columbia Pike (the old one, connecting to Memorial Bridge, and the new one, Towers Park to Courthouse Road). It would be great to have clear names for them...

How's the Memorial Bridge? I didn't love the Custis-Key Bridge commute this morning, and may go back to my roads to the Iwo Jima - 11 trail - Memorial Bridge route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    The MBT is in pretty good shape from Franklin to R, decent shape (at least one side passable) from R to NY Avenue, and an utter disaster from M to Florida.
    1/16 update: AM commute was the same, but it looks like "they" finally got around to clearing a path for the PM commute. Still a few sketchy spots, but at least they were spots rather than long stretches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Now there are 2 trails next to 27/Washington Blvd and both start near Columbia Pike (the old one, connecting to Memorial Bridge, and the new one, Towers Park to Courthouse Road). It would be great to have clear names for them...
    Washington Blvd Trail East (the old one) and Washington Blvd Trail West (the new one)?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a different route home (well gym). Joyce to Columbia Pike to Washington Blvd Trail East (the one along the Pentagon) to 110 trail through the park with Iwo Jima to Lynn to Custis to Quincy.

(I should probably mention that I am on 38s that are not as nubby as they once were)

Sidewalk on Joyce has some slush/icy bits, but all is well, beautify, actually, from there until the park just after the cemetery.
    Do not let the clear patch at the N Marshall Dr/Access Rd fool you. Shortly after that the trail going uphill is a hardpack/slushy/icy mess. Uphill required walking. Once at the Carillon, it cleared up some and the trails were rideable. The sidewalk on N Meade quickly became completely covered and I got on the road.
    The bike lanes on Lynn are not completely clear (nor of cars at that time of evening either. Sigh), but made it to Custis despite the construction and snow.
    Custis going up Lee was pretty clear, but ice melt may mean some slick bits in the morning. The bridge over spout run is a lot of hardpack/slush/ice. And for a long way. I got through it. There is a similar mess on the bridge over I-66 (but not as bad) and the bridge over Lee Highway (worse than the I66 bridge, but better than Spout Run). I exited at Quincy, and aside from the snow boulder at the turn, that exit was great.
    The bike lanes on Quincy between 15th and Fairfax were anywhere from 5% to 95% clear - whatever the plow got. Cars weren't too annoyed at me. The protected lanes between 9th and Wilson were clear.

Fairfax drive bike lanes were clear.
    Ballston connector was passable - worst over I-66.
    Custis clear from there to St Ann's.
    I still think W&OD and 4MRT is a better bet. Especially after CBGanimal has done so much there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Fairfax drive bike lanes were clear.
    The bike lanes on Fairfax Drive westbound are 99% clear.
    The bike lanes on Fairfax Drive EASTbound are about 65% clear.

I got beeped and yelled at (over loudspeaker) by some sort of law enforcement personnel (black unmarked SUV, shoulder patches did not look like ACPD) on Fairfax on my way home yesterday evening for not being in the bike lane (that had cars parked in it, BTW). I only got a partial license plate as he sped away so I can not report him to whatever agency he works for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    The bike lanes on Fairfax Drive westbound are 99% clear.
    The bike lanes on Fairfax Drive EASTbound are about 65% clear.

I got beeped and yelled at (over loudspeaker) by some sort of law enforcement personnel (black unmarked SUV, shoulder patches did not look like ACPD) on Fairfax on my way home yesterday evening for not being in the bike lane (that had cars parked in it, BTW). I only got a partial license plate as he sped away so I can not report him to whatever agency he works for.
    Really despise people who do that. My standard response to them all is my middle finger, but I've been wearing lobster gloves lately and last time I tried it, it was pretty much just a wave.

Post Thanks / Like

The Whitehurst is back to just its usual unpleasantness. Snow is cleared off the shoulder (except for about 8 inches against the side barrier where you don't ride anyway).

9. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MVT (from 4MR to TRI) still half clear, half a trials course of frozen rutty stretches of ice and snow. Passable, but man what a white-knuckle workout just to stay upright.

4MR trail from Shirlington to MVT 95% clear. Diciest spot is bridge over Long Branch where constructions remains. Even so, tis a dream compared to MVT.

Thank you again Arlington Parks and County Board for approving and funding this program.

Henry

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Washington Blvd Trail East (the old one) and Washington Blvd Trail West (the new one)?
    Rolls off the tongue...