Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

4MRT between Mt. Vernon Ave and Eads is in good shape. Some icy patches, but they're in straight areas so as long as you hold your line you'll be fine. I expect those patches to continue until the snow is totally melted since they appear to be drainage from the snow.

I ended up switching onto the road on Eads St and avoiding the bike lane. Where the bike lane wasn't protected it was covered in snow from cars getting cleaned off into the bike lane, and the areas that were protected were VERY icy, as Dr. P said the snow melt refroze across the lane. I'll likely do the same on the way home. I wasn't going much slower than the cars so they didn't seem to mind much.

LBJ memorial to MVT has a decent sized icy patch when you turn off LBJ and onto the MVT, and another even larger one when you turn off the trail onto 14 st bridge. Both passable, but go slow and consider walking/flint-stoning over the one by 14 st bridge since it's big.

As HancocksB said, Maine Ave before the wharf was packed snow, and I also noticed some big patches of ice. I got into the road since it was pretty sketchy.

Many many kudos and thanks to Komorebi and KWL, who were busy clearing the DC side of the 14th st bridge when I rode by. You are amazing. And thank you to everyone else yesterday that cleared the MVT. Had it not been for your great work, I would have had to drive to work today.

2. Likes LhasaCM, MrTinDC, Judd, Hancockbs liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The DC portion of the CCT is "rideable," but not great. Basically, there's like a 1-foot wide strip of relatively smooth, but non-slick ice. Thankfully, there aren't many people out on it. With my knobby studded tires and gravel bike, I was good for about 7-8mph. The Towpath is absolutely unrideable, however. There's basically a 3-inch thick layer of frozen slush under the snow and it froze hard enough that it has zero give and you can't just power through it. Maybe a fat bike or semi-fat bike could do it, but I ended up walking most of the C&O section of my commute.

The RCP path from the volleyball courts to West Potomac Park is barely rideable, but should get enough sun today to make it okay for tomorrow.

The trail on Maine Ave. in front of Washington Marina was not cleared in any way and is an absolute mess.
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 01-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.

4. Likes Crickey7, Hancockbs liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Bluemont Arlington

4MR: Hardpack. Icy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8700E90-BD7C-4661-B949-C4E9CEC4A5DE.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	18986

WOD: Plowed. Patches of asphalt mixed with patches of certain death. Bridges are hardpack. Black ice in underpasses.

Name:	EE48F6DD-4B80-4F37-A112-46D0894D8FAF.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	18987

Name:	14541F77-2C02-41BE-A30C-5D8AA54D9B25.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	18988

6. Likes Hancockbs, mikoglaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

W&OD from Shreve Rd in Falls Church to Maple Ave in Vienna is pretty sketchy. The blower cleared some areas, but at least half of the distance is very icy; the ice is hard packed and quite smooth from the blower, but I would have felt much more confident on studs. That said, I rode 95% of the way on medium-knobby 40s and did fine white-knuckling it. I am not taking the same route home, though: I'm opting for streets! I'll ride studs tomorrow for sure, as I know that all of those shady low-lying areas on the trail will remain largely unchanged for days.

8. Likes mikoglaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MBT today

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    The MBT is in pretty good shape from Franklin to R, decent shape (at least one side passable) from R to NY Avenue, and an utter disaster from M to Florida.
    I rode on the MBT today. This morning it was in pretty good shape except for two places. The first bad spot was near the NY Avenue underpass. I believe water tends to collect there, so I can understand why that spot can get icy. The second spot was near the NoMA Gallaudet metro station. For some reason, that section was never cleared. Why would they clear the rest of the trail, but leave that stretch untouched?

Post Thanks / Like

Mild change on trip home. Army-Navy drive to 28th to Meade to 4MRT to W&OD to Custis.
    The bike lane on Army-Navy drive was partially clear - the buffer allowed on to feel like it was a regular bike lane (the other direction, which has parking between the bike and car lanes, did not look so clear, but the sidewalk over there looked great. My side was all snow). I jumped over to the sidewalk where the bike lane disappeared since (1) I wasn't sure if there would be icy bits and I didn't want to fall in front of a car that wanted to go 50mph and (2) there was less lane anyway due to pushing the snow over. The sidewalk varied from fantastic to passable.
    The 4MRT sidewalk was still a mess along Glebe from Meade to after the bridge where the trail turns towards 4MR. There was some sidewalk visible, but near the road it was quite narrow and the idea of potentially falling into oncoming cars had me half-flintstoning. 4MRT trail after that wasn't horrible (thank you CBGAnimal for the removal of some of that snow next to the generator). I am still curious as to what is in that puddle that is just so not frozen under Glebe.
    W&OD was much more clear than this morning, but patches were solid pack or rutted. Still quite passable.
    Custis was pretty good. The eastbound lane coming up under I-66 wasn't great, but the westbound lane was clear and no one was coming. Access points to the trail still bad.
    This might be the route in tomorrow morning unless someone comments that the Custis is great on the Rosslyn hill and the 110 and Washington blvd trails to Pentagon are clear.
    Last edited by DrP; 01-15-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Forgot Meade in list

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I rode on the MBT today. This morning it was in pretty good shape except for two places. The first bad spot was near the NY Avenue underpass. I believe water tends to collect there, so I can understand why that spot can get icy. The second spot was near the NoMA Gallaudet metro station. For some reason, that section was never cleared. Why would they clear the rest of the trail, but leave that stretch untouched?
    From Franklin to R - DDOT used a traditional pickup truck/plow. That took care of most of the trail, with some volunteer labor doing the manual shoveling needed for the transition to 8th street and around the flexposts protecting the trail at S and T streets.

From R to M - theoretically, DDOT uses the smaller Bobcat to clean that part of the trail. It does not look like that happened, or if it did, it wasn't very successful. From R to NY Avenue - that was cleared by volunteer labor (and you're right about the melting/refreezing at the underpass). Someone else did take a shovel to clear a path up one side of the ramp down to M Street, but in between was not touched. I opened a 311 ticket to remind DDOT to clear the part that wasn't touched (and also requested NoMaBid to assist if possible), but as of 5PM that had not yet been acted upon.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

TR Bridge is like, 50% unrideable. I had to walk most of it tonight. Custis is re-freezing fast and felt kinda dangerous in a lot of places, even with studs. The zig-zag at the East Falls Church basketball courts is also awful. I slid out even with studs, but the studs probably helped keep upright.

13. Likes mikoglaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trail conditions on the W&OD between Old Reston Parkway and The Bike Lane. A little crusty in some spots particularly around the American Plaza Way underpass otherwise ridable.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The trail next to 27/Washington Blvd was clear from Columbia Pike all the way to Arlington Memorial Bridge. MVT from Arlington Memorial through Trollheim was really bad. I tried to put up a good fight riding it on my 32s, but on hindsight, it should have been faster walking it.

Rosslyn hill on Custis was clear, except for a patch between the sound wall.