Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Today is impatient driver alert day. It's not 4 yet, and traffic is already slow. Link to Google Traffic Map.

Post Thanks / Like

MVT - 4MR -> 14SB - dry as a bone

3. Likes excimer34, Emm, buschwacker, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    1/16 update: AM commute was the same, but it looks like "they" finally got around to clearing a path for the PM commute. Still a few sketchy spots, but at least they were spots rather than long stretches.

Anyone know what condition the Metropolitan Branch Trail is in today?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Custis trail from East Falls Church to Fairfax Drive: Mostly okay with a very, VERY fine sheen of ice over where they sprayed the brine. I was fine being mildly cautious on 40 mm slicks. Once the sun rises, the sheen should melt pretty quickly.

6. Likes musclys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Anyone know what condition the Metropolitan Branch Trail is in today?

Thanks.
    The MBT is fine from Franklin NE to Columbus Circle; a few small and obvious icy patches in the usual spots, but nothing overly treacherous.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ridden the W&OD out toward Vienna today? There was snow on it yesterday, and I don’t think it got brined.

Post Thanks / Like

Rode over 3 Miles of Fairfax sidewalks at 7 MPH, and it was easy with 25 mm slicks, so the W&OD should be easy if yoy give it extra time.

Post Thanks / Like

I rode the W&OD east from Virginia Lane. From Virginia lane to Shreve it had a thin coating of ice/snow, passable easily on my 35 mm studded tires. I suspect its the same further west. I bailed and took the road at the section along the tennis courts where there is always more accumulation (there was last night at 830 on my ride home). I resumed the path in Falls Church City. The path was bumpy ice. Okay with studded tires but I bailed after a bit and took roads until EFC where the path was cleared last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoglaces View Post
    I rode the W&OD east from Virginia Lane. From Virginia lane to Shreve it had a thin coating of ice/snow, passable easily on my 35 mm studded tires. I suspect its the same further west. I bailed and took the road at the section along the tennis courts where there is always more accumulation (there was last night at 830 on my ride home). I resumed the path in Falls Church City. The path was bumpy ice. Okay with studded tires but I bailed after a bit and took roads until EFC where the path was cleared last night.
    I don’t have to go out there till later, but given how cold it is, and how cold it’ll be at 9:00 tonight when I’m on my way home, I think I’ll stick with the studs. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

I rode 4 Mile Run Trail this morning at 10am from Columbia Pike eastward to Route 1 at Potomac Yards (then picked up Potomac Yard Trail).
    Including the portion of 4 Mile Run trail that is in the woods of Barcroft Park (running from S. George Mason to S. Walter Reed) the entire trail was VASTLY dry and ice-free.
    (One usual short spot in Barcroft Park where ground water always seems to be running over the trail pavement, was frozen.)
    East past the W. Glebe intersection, the black sewer piping along the trail (including where is passes under Mt. Vernon Ave -- and the piping was recently blocking the whole path) is now gone from there -- but the soil/leaves/natural debris that collected around those pipes is still on the trail.
    The temporary wooden bridge (at the water treatment plant) had a very thin sheen of ice on the surface, but not 100% coverage. That bridge will probably be removed (based on the progress of sewer pipe removal) any day now...