Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 152

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The ice patches are back on the MVT north and south of the Memorial Bridge. Perhaps even larger than before, although not as thick and solid. Yet. Likely to melt during the day and be back tomorrow. The troublesome ones are south of the bridge when you are heading south since at some point you need to pedal while on them - the very right side does have leaves and twigs stuck in the ice and provide some traction.

    There are ice bits here and there elsewhere on Custis and MVT, but mostly avoidable and more likely to disappear as the sun warms and dries them.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am impressed with my fellow cyclists. Someone brought a chain saw and loppers to the downed tree on the CCT, which was impressive enough since there is no motor vehicle access. That person started cutting up the tree. About 10-12 cyclists stopped to help with cutting it up and moving the pieces to the side of the path. By the time I arrived, it wasn't perfect, but the trail was definitely usable.

    Were any of you guys in Freezing Saddles involved in this? If so, you have my nominations for KOT or QOT.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CleanedTree.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	19135

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is the sewer pipe on 4mrt just west of the Mount Vernon Ave underpass. It looks like they're beginning to get rid of the pipe, and just decided to stop work Friday and left the pipe completely blocking the trail. You can walk your bike up the grass but be careful--it's really muddy and icy from all the recent rain.

    I'll report it in a few minutes but I doubt anything will happen until Monday or Tuesday.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  4. Likes Judd, LhasaCM liked this post
  5. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The pipe has moved quite a bit from Fri evening. I don’t personally think they are or have started dismantling it yet—I wonder if it is contracting in the cold now that, um, nothing warm is flowing inside to keep it warm...

  6. Likes Judd, LhasaCM liked this post
  7. #115
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    The pipe has moved quite a bit from Fri evening. I don’t personally think they are or have started dismantling it yet—I wonder if it is contracting in the cold now that, um, nothing warm is flowing inside to keep it warm...

    Just went through here. It didn't look like work on the black pipe dismantling part has started yet. That section was beginning to shift a bit before the project ended. I'm wondering if there's some contraction of the pipe occurring too and that's just one of the curviest parts. I didn't give the pipe a poke to see if it was moveable.

    Also, after you officially report it Erin, don't forget to claim your QOT point.

  8. Likes Emm, LhasaCM liked this post
  9. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    This is the sewer pipe on 4mrt just west of the Mount Vernon Ave underpass. It looks like they're beginning to get rid of the pipe, and just decided to stop work Friday and left the pipe completely blocking the trail. You can walk your bike up the grass but be careful--it's really muddy and icy from all the recent rain.

    I'll report it in a few minutes but I doubt anything will happen until Monday or Tuesday.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fastest reply ever...

    "Hello Erin,
    The project is complete and we are in the process of removing the pipe completely! I will check to make sure the pipe is moved off the trail asap.
    Thanks"

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  11. #117
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Fastest reply ever...

    "Hello Erin,
    The project is complete and we are in the process of removing the pipe completely! I will check to make sure the pipe is moved off the trail asap.
    Thanks"

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Record fix too:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. Likes Emm, LhasaCM, dasgeh, Hancockbs, bobco85 liked this post
  13. #118
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some more timely response from DES: I contacted about the work on Walter Reed at W&OD that put some large gravel down and a huge uneven surface.





    They responded to me same day. And had the gravel replaced with asphalt the next day.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. Likes Emm, Sunyata, dasgeh, Hancockbs, bobco85 liked this post
  15. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Significant progress in dismantling the temporary black sewer piping along 4 Mile Run trail! This view, seen from South Glebe (just directly east of Mount Vernon Ave.) The wooden temporary bridge is still up (by the water treatment plant), but the smaller wooden temporary bridge, further west between Mount Vernon and West Glebe, is gone!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6861D733-33B8-4C34-B286-3466A63AEDA5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	19219
    Last edited by Christob50; 01-29-2019 at 04:08 PM.

  16. Likes Emm, Judd liked this post
  17. #120
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    Significant progress in dismantling the temporary black sewer piping along 4 Mile Run trail! This view, seen from South Glebe (just directly south of Mount Vernon Ave.) The wooden temporary bridge is still up (by the water treatment plant), but the smaller wooden temporary bridge, between Mount Vernon and West Glebe, is gone!
    Those bridges should be given to NPS to put along the MVT where the ice puddles form near the Memorial Bridge.

  18. Likes bentbike33, DrP liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •