Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The bike lane on Potomac Ave just north of Four Mile headed towards Crystal City is about 90% glass for two blocks. Like it seriously looks like someone had one of those garden spreaders full of glass and just walked it for a bit.
    Did you report it to ArlCo? I've had good luck getting that type of stuff cleaned up after reporting it to the county.

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Did you report it to ArlCo? I've had good luck getting that type of stuff cleaned up after reporting it to the county.
    Reported it. Had to get the app reloaded on the new phone and then figure out what the heck my password was.

3. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    The gates at East Potomac Park/Hains Point loop at the golf course are closed (both for the shutdown and for high water)and there is yellow "crime scene" tape stretched from the goes to the waterside railing and also over to the parking lot fence. Clearly people have been going under the tape, but there was a Parks Police marked cruiser behind me and who stopped and watched me as I was taking the picture. I guessed the officer might have told me not to ride on if I tried to go under the tape, so I just looped back up Ohio Drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02906.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	18818
    Our man Dirt reported today that he *thought* about bypassing the barrier, but decided not to test the good graces of the cop watching...all this after getting a warning from said cop for running the stop sign.
    Last edited by Starduster; 01-09-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Also was getting a strong sideways push on Key Bridge with lots of grit.
    That Key Bridge grit is, to me, an amazing phenomenon. With the wind out of the west, the sand blows off the downstream side, drops under the bridge, catches an eddy, and travels to the upstream side to get you from the west. Traveling on the west side, at first I couldn't believe it and thought there must have been magic sand blowing up from the river, but then I talked to a bridge engineer here at work who researched it and said it is a thing: the sand that blows in your face on the upstream side came from the downstream side. As an added bonus, some of it will settle back onto the roadway and sidewalk so that it can get you again next time.

6. Likes Steve O, Emm, ursus, dasgeh, Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big patch of ice on Penna Ave in G-Town inbound into DC just past the Four Seasons and the exit ramp from Rock Creek Parkway (basically on the bridge over RCP). I was tucked in behind a Circulator bus so I didn't see it until I was ON it. That was a nice "ooooooooooooh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!" moment.

8. Likes Birru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Big patch of ice on Penna Ave in G-Town inbound into DC just past the Four Seasons and the exit ramp from Rock Creek Parkway (basically on the bridge over RCP). I was tucked in behind a Circulator bus so I didn't see it until I was ON it. That was a nice "ooooooooooooh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!" moment.
    Nice job. Hold your line and don't touch your brakes. All good...except for the heart palpitations.

10. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was the only part of the ride where I was happy to have forgotten to re-inflate my tires after taking this bike off the trainer. My front was *really* low.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There was, yes, a porta-potty down on the 4MRT where you turn downhill from Glebe to pass the construction (going EB) Be careful.

14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Crash at the Intersection of Doom -- two cars. Looked like a black SUV had illegally turned left from the 2nd-to-the-left lane and hit a silver sedan. The cars had some nasty damage for what should have been a low speed collision and the drivers looked shaken up. Glad no people outside of cars were involved.

That + construction on Wilson made for some INSANE traffic in Rosslyn this morning and drivers acting equally insane. Up the hill, drivers decided that they could magically turn their cars into bikes and take the bike lane for 2 blocks to get to 17th.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    There was, yes, a porta-potty down on the 4MRT where you turn downhill from Glebe to pass the construction (going EB) Be careful.
    I noticed it too when someone got out without looking when I was passing.

This section is getting worst and worst. The contractors decided to close off the sidewalk/trail in front of the shopping center without any safe accommodations. It makes someone trying to cross legally to the trail - and even a bus stop - to make a detour of at least half a mile. I don't know if that is allowed?