Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Default January 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

The gates at East Potomac Park/Hains Point loop at the golf course are closed (both for the shutdown and for high water)and there is yellow "crime scene" tape stretched from the goes to the waterside railing and also over to the parking lot fence. Clearly people have been going under the tape, but there was a Parks Police marked cruiser behind me and who stopped and watched me as I was taking the picture. I guessed the officer might have told me not to ride on if I tried to go under the tape, so I just looped back up Ohio Drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02906.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	18818

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to do a loop yesterday, but there was a cruiser parked in the road in front of the barriers. I too looped back out. Though the sign says so, I doubt there is currently any flooding.

Post Thanks / Like

People have told me that it is pretty easy to break that crime scene tape just by stretching it.

4. Likes Judd, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    The gates at East Potomac Park/Hains Point loop at the golf course are closed (both for the shutdown and for high water)and there is yellow "crime scene" tape stretched from the goes to the waterside railing and also over to the parking lot fence. Clearly people have been going under the tape, but there was a Parks Police marked cruiser behind me and who stopped and watched me as I was taking the picture. I guessed the officer might have told me not to ride on if I tried to go under the tape, so I just looped back up Ohio Drive.
    There are regular updates getting posted on the Hains Point Cyclists facebook page. Consensus is that you can get around the barriers, but there are some messy sections that are in need of cleanup so be careful once you're in there.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The bike lane on Potomac Ave just north of Four Mile headed towards Crystal City is about 90% glass for two blocks. Like it seriously looks like someone had one of those garden spreaders full of glass and just walked it for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

A construction crew closed the First St NE cycle track between L St and K St this morning.

They were ripping up the pavement with some heavy equipment near the intersection at K St. Based on the time of year, I thought it may be utility work. However, the pavement there had gotten pretty beaten up during the construction of the newish building there, so maybe they were repairing it.

I'm not sure what safe accommodations requires, but they had someone on either end directing cyclists onto the sidewalk, which was better than what I've seen under some similar circumstances.

8. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    A construction crew closed the First St NE cycle track between L St and K St this morning.

They were ripping up the pavement with some heavy equipment near the intersection at K St. Based on the time of year, I thought it may be utility work. However, the pavement there had gotten pretty beaten up during the construction of the newish building there, so maybe they were repairing it.

I'm not sure what safe accommodations requires, but they had someone on either end directing cyclists onto the sidewalk, which was better than what I've seen under some similar circumstances.
    Thanks for the heads up. That's on my normal commuting route, but during FS I've been trying to take 4th street in the mornings and go around Union Station, just to get an extra 0.3 miles (marginal gains!) so wouldn't see it until school pickup time.

If the work is just in the cycletrack: Safe Accommodations would require them to make the west side "no parking" so that the travel lanes could shift west and allow for a temporary cycletrack along the eastern side of the road. It sounds like they're having folks use the sidewalk as an alternative, which is probably "technically acceptable but not really OK." FWIW, I'm not seeing any TCP associated with the permits that have been granted for that block - I'm sure jreanut would be SHOCKED to hear that.

10. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the clarification on safe accommodation requirements, LhasaCM. A temporary cycletrack on the eastern side would've been preferable to taking the sidewalk. But on the whole, it was far less harrowing than other bike lane closures.

I'm interested to see what it's like tonight. It could be very different if the lane's still closed, but no one's there to alert folks.

Post Thanks / Like

IT'S SNOWING IT'S SNOWING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I hope all DC residents have their toilet paper and milk. On the bright side, it's so windy that none of the snow is actually touching the ground.

Also I am indeed shocked that there is a construction site in DC without Safe Accommodations. If you're on Twitter, tweet about it with the date, time, and location. Tag @311DCgov and @DDOTDC and #bikeDC. Nothing will happen, but 311 will dutifully record it in their database. Then they'll loop in DDOT, who was already looped in, and DDOT will ignore you.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

At 49F I couldn't figure out what to call that frozen stuff being blown into my face by 30 mph headwinds. Also was getting a strong sideways push on Key Bridge with lots of grit.

14. Likes jrenaut liked this post