Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team 18 Clubhouse 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Default Team 18 Clubhouse 2019

Please join the Strava club. I'll be following or requesting to follow each of you too.

Team roster (*indicates they've joined the Strava club):
    josh* (captain)
    dcvelobrew*
    matteblack*
    ChampionTier*
    Davis_S*
    CCC27*
    LuisFilipe*
    Shardg*
    kiliscout*
    jonkislin*

Hey everyone, we need to figure out a name for our team (or I suppose we could just stick with team 18). I believe kiliscout and I were the only team members at the opening happy hour last night, and so I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you.

Quick intro -- This is my second year of Freezing Saddles, first year as a captain. FS turned me into an everyday (almost) commuter, and introduced me to a whole bunch of people in the DC bike community. I jumped into the deep end and tried to ride a ton of miles, compete in a bunch of pointless prizes, make it out to social events and it worked out well for me. I'll be commuting most days from Arlington to Herndon, and trying to get some longer rides in on the weekend and some hill rides in the mornings. I'm planning on riding everyday and hitting the 100 mile cap each week.

I'm not sure where you all are located (and was no grouping by geographic proximity), but let's plan out some rides. I'm down to ride in VA, DC, MD, on gravel or road (probably no mountain biking for me). If you're comfortable divulging some basic info on the Internet (and you're all on Strava anyways), it'd be great if you could each introduce yourselves briefly.
    Last edited by josh; 01-13-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Updated Strava club members

2. Likes Judd, shardg, ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inside the beltway Elitism at its finest

4. Likes Judd liked this post
  5. 01-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Reason
    RIP

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy, folks, glad to be here. This is my first time doing BAFS. I was turned on to it by a fellow rider I hooked up with on the W&OD one day in September. I've been a cyclist all my life (I'm just north of 50), but only seriously since 2011 or so after rediscovering the thrill of speed on my BIL's roadie. After a few years of sporadic riding, I exceeded my goal of 5000 miles last year (trainer miles count, right?!? lol) and am looking to repeat that threshold this year.

So far this year, I've ridden more outside than I did all of Jan/Feb 2018, where I rode every day, but only two were outside. My rides usually start in west-central Fairfax (I'm on the outskirts of Fair Lakes), but will take me all over NoVA. I'm also up for riding whatever/wherever, but would prefer roads/MUPs vs. unpaved paths (and the MVT!!!).

I, too, plan on riding every day and typically exceed 100 miles per week.

-- matt

7. Likes shardg, ChampionTier, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, looking forward to meeting and riding with everyone. This is my third FS season 2016 & 2017, took last year off because of back issues. I hope to ride everyday, I accomplished that feat the other 2 seasons, but we shall see. I live in Lake Ridge (Prince William County) but will drive to rides. I also have several routes “down south” that may be fun for you Northerners to try. I appreciate Josh being the captain, I served as one in 2017, and it does take some work. I will let you guys know in advance that I am old, fat, and crawl up hills, but can hold my own downhill. When our Government is open I work in DC, but living in PWC I do not commute.
    See you soon,
    Steve
    Last edited by shardg; 01-11-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added name

9. Likes ChampionTier, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everybody! CT here. Special thanks up front to Josh for volunteering to lead TM18 (Name: TBD); great intro, btw!

I moved to Belgium last summer but wanted to add another year to my 2-year streak of BAFS participation. Thanks to the lovely folks who design the rules for this game, I was able to participate. Most of my miles are from commuting; however, on the weekends I tend to explore and do a lot of bike-orienteering around here and end up posting several photos on Strava from my rides. If you're interested in seeing what Flanders has to offer, here's the link to my account: https://www.strava.com/athletes/15179914

I think BAFS is a wonderful event and look forward to contributing to the team as much as possible. I don't make it to the U.S. very often, but should be around the DC area from 22-24 JAN if there happens to be a team HH.

Best of luck to you as individual riders, to us as TM18, and thanks in advance for the motivation to keep on peddaling!

Cheers,
    CT
    Last edited by ChampionTier; 01-12-2019 at 11:54 AM.

11. Likes shardg, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all! Fourth time doing the FS madness. Won’t lie first time around I wouldn’t ride bellow 50 besides a sleaze, four years later and 50 is like a warm summer day.

I plan on riding all days and hitting the 100 mile contribution or more.

Spending this month in sunny Portugal but will be around soon.

JA any idea what happened to the folks that haven’t joined our team?

Any ideas for team names?

Also will we be communicating here where is open to everyone or at Strava (My preferred choice)?

Ride on my FS brethren.

Filipe

13. Likes shardg, josh, ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

Collier here (CCC27), just joined the Strava club. Looking forward to FS-19; just completed my first year in D.C. and this is my first year at FS. I plan on commuting to work every day unless there is ice on the roads; just suffered a collar bone bike injury this summer, so I have to be a little careful as I am still recovering. I'm also up for some weekend rides, babies and mother dependent. Currently live in the District (Anacostia- Ward 8).

15. Likes shardg, josh, ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you get in some nice rides in Sunny Portugal, that would be great for morale! Maybe share some pics too.

17. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear a little bit about all of you, and hoping we all have an injury-free, riding-heavy, rest of the winter. @championtier, we should definitely try to do something when you're in the country. I didn't realize you were in Belgium, that's awesome! Have you been to any cross races, participating or just watching? @filipe, enjoy Portugal while you're there. I still need to sleaze out in the snow over here.

Re: main forum of communication, I'm fine with Strava, email, this, Facebook, whatever. @Filipe, Strava sounds good to me. I'll start a ride planning post over there, and see if I can get together some names.

Re: missing members, I used Strava's invite to club feature (via email) to all of you on Friday, but I'm not sure what that looks like on your end (or how likely it is to be blocked or filtered by your email provider). I'm going to email jonkislin and Davis_S tonight to see what's up with them, I haven't heard anything or seen much activity on Strava from them. The other eight of us have joined the Strava club, and within a couple hours we all should be displaying on the FS leaderboards (currently it's everyone but CCC27 who just joined).

19. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Glad to hear a little bit about all of you, and hoping we all have an injury-free, riding-heavy, rest of the winter. @championtier, we should definitely try to do something when you're in the country. I didn't realize you were in Belgium, that's awesome! Have you been to any cross races, participating or just watching? @filipe, enjoy Portugal while you're there. I still need to sleaze out in the snow over here.

Re: main forum of communication, I'm fine with Strava, email, this, Facebook, whatever. @Filipe, Strava sounds good to me. I'll start a ride planning post over there, and see if I can get together some names.
    It's definitely nice here! I had one cross race that I was going to do but a work event got in the way; I haven't found anything like BikeReg here so most of what I hear about is by word of mouth but I'd love to race next year. There's a bunch of local events here for mountain biking and just general riding around. The trick is finding out about them

I'm good with using Strava to communicate. I love coming back to the forum from time to time, but Strava is a little more accessible, IMHO.

Happy riding!