Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles Technology - 2019 Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles Technology - 2019 Thread

I thought perhaps a thread for the technology team might be in order.

This year we're managing the Freezing Saddles software (hosted on GitHub) through a Project Kanban board. We're communicating primarily through a Freezing Saddles Slack group. I'm leading the team this year and have been doing most of the programming and almost all of the operations, but I'm eager to teach others what they need to know. jrenault has also contributed already this year (again! thank you!) and I'm looking forward to getting more active contributions from the other technology team members.

If you have a problem with the Freezing Saddles web site, you can post about it here, or add a note to the board or to the freezing-web issues.

We've made some good progress this year, after some initial hiccups in transition. hozn originally wrote software that runs the freezingsaddles.org site using Python, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Alembic, and some other frameworks, and last year he completed Dockerizing it. This year it runs on a Digital Ocean droplet that hozn is graciously footing the bill for again this season. Now the challenge is to finish up the team scoring

Freezing Saddles 2019 Kanban Board:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freezing-kanban.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	18786

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to get my act together and help out this year. I think I've gotten being stupid competitive in terms of raw miles out of my system. Will try and get the dev environment set up locally this week and take a peek at some of the "good first issues".

3. Likes LhasaCM, Emm, Judd, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only issue I have is that the People > Ride Days section seems to be in a different time zone. Last night, just before 11:00 pm, it had already decided that it was today, and thus was saying that no one still had a perfect attendance record.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    The only issue I have is that the People > Ride Days section seems to be in a different time zone. Last night, just before 11:00 pm, it had already decided that it was today, and thus was saying that no one still had a perfect attendance record.
    Known issue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Thanks! I can manage to write web pages, but I am by no means a developer, so I haven't been following that page.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be more of a rules question than a technology question, but do I get credit for riding on a day based on the time zone where I am, or do I need to ride on the day based on Eastern Time? Yesterday I could not (ok, did not) ride until just after 10:00 pm MST (early flight to LA and then back to Denver), so i rode on 1/14 where I was but it was already 1/15 back in DC? Strava shows my local time & Date in Denver, FWIW

Thanks. Obviously this matters as much as anything else in FS matters. So a great deal!

Post Thanks / Like

I fixed the issues with the ride days and most other leaderboards having wacky time zone issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epilsk View Post
    This may be more of a rules question than a technology question, but do I g

Tet credit for riding on a day based on the time zone where I am, or do I need to ride on the day based on Eastern Time? Yesterday I could not (ok, did not) ride until just after 10:00 pm MST (early flight to LA and then back to Denver), so i rode on 1/14 where I was but it was already 1/15 back in DC? Strava shows my local time & Date in Denver, FWIW

Thanks. Obviously this matters as much as anything else in FS matters. So a great deal!
    Freezing Saddles days are US Eastern time zone days. Strava stores rides in the local time zone. However, we now correctly calculate the time zone offsets for the Ride Days and various main leaderboards so that the times that count are compared to the local time in the DC area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I'll try to get my act together and help out this year. I think I've gotten being stupid competitive in terms of raw miles out of my system. Will try and get the dev environment set up locally this week and take a peek at some of the "good first issues".

I’m happy to help you get set up josh... pop into our Slack room and we can work it out.

11. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say that the time spent to make this whole thing was well worth it (and probably took quite a while!). Kudos to all those who set up and maintain the IT aspect. I understood only a tiny slice of that original post, and couldn't tell if you were just f-ing around and writing nonsense or not (looks like not).

Thanks again and keep it up!

13. Likes LhasaCM, jrenaut liked this post