Likes Likes:  121
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize METRO PEAK PIONEER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurlyTed1187 View Post
    You don’t have to make it separate rides. If you pause your computer/app when you arrive at the metro station, then un-pause when you arrive at your destination station to record the remainder of the trip to your final destination it won’t record the metro trip as part of the bike ride.

The map will show a straight line from your departure metro station to your final metro station, regardless if you had to change lines or not. Just don’t forget to pause and un-pause. Then just tag #BAFSMETRO, and upload your photo here!
    However, Strava WILL count the straight line as riding mileage, which is technically cheating. So, please do separate rides if you are doing bike-metro-bike.

Never mind. See LSG's post below. Apparently Strava has fixed that!
    Last edited by Sunyata; 01-11-2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I was wrong. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    However, Strava WILL count the straight line as riding mileage, which is technically cheating. So, please do separate rides if you are doing bike-metro-bike.
    That is incorrect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    Interesting... It has always counted the mileage when I forgot to hit the "start" button after a long stop on a gravel ride, granted it has been a while since I have done that. Perhaps they have changed the algorithm to eliminate it.

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikedavid View Post
    Just to clarify, only one of the rides to or from Metro counts right? So if you do bike-metro-bike you would only tag one of the rides?
    I was assuming it was the other way - if you ride to metro and board during peak time, that counts as one ride, and if you depart metro during peak and start a ride during peak time it counts as another.

Iíve had some rides that have one component but not the other due to leaving Metro after peak. What says the prize sponsor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post
    I was assuming it was the other way - if you ride to metro and board during peak time, that counts as one ride, and if you depart metro during peak and start a ride during peak time it counts as another.

I’ve had some rides that have one component but not the other due to leaving Metro after peak. What says the prize sponsor?

What makes sense to me, is that you get 1 point for each time riding the train with your bike during peak hours. If you break the rides up to and from the station and try to get 2 points for the one train ride, that's not being fair to everyone else. As long as you're "in the system" at the right time, it's all good.
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 01-12-2019 at 05:50 PM.

6. Likes SurlyTed1187 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave in and took the metro today. Here's an orange bike on the silver line:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5V3gNds-9w3JFr8yyAWCX6ho_uK9CrUOqSeg5FLC8A-2048x1536.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	18982

I have a reverse commute (from Ballston to Wiehle-Reston), and I was in the system from 8:15 until 8:50 or so. The biggest pain was taking the elevator down from the street because there were a lot of other people doing the same (without bikes). I didn't see any other bikes. There did seem to be more people on the train than there have been when I've ridden at similar times in the past, and I'm wondering if that's due to the snow. Might do this again on my evening commute, depending on how much the trail (or maybe roads) clear up.

8. Likes bikedavid, SurlyTed1187 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the max number of bikes allowed on a single metro car?

Name:	IMG_20190115_190047.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	18990

Assuming the trail conditions aren't great tomorrow, bikedavid and I may set up a Freezing Saddles conference on the metro tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Official policy is 2 per railcar (one on each end) on weekdays, and 4 per railcar (two on each end) on weekends/most holidays. That restriction directly conflicts with the "children under age 16 with a bike need to be accompanied by an adult" rule - unless the adult is bike-less.

11. Likes streetsmarts, bikedavid liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

Name:	IMG_20190115_190047.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	18990

Assuming the trail conditions aren't great tomorrow, bikedavid and I may set up a Freezing Saddles conference on the metro tomorrow.
    Is there extra points for two Freezing Saddles players riding in the same car?

13. Likes bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Is there extra points for two Freezing Saddles players riding in the same car?

If the two fs members are teammates, then that would be 2 points on the same team, though there is no team classification for this prize.