Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize METRO PEAK PIONEER

Post Thanks / Like

Furlough = lots of room for bikes during evening "rush"

https://www.strava.com/activities/2063176206

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried this last night.

Comments: I forgot to take a picture while on metro - that said, I don't think it would have been easy to do so. I was gripping my bike with both hands to make 100% sure it did not create any problem for my fellow passengers. There was room - I was in the last car, and furlough impacted L'Enfant Plaza pretty heavily. However there were still other standees, so I wanted to be especially careful.

At elevators I yielded preference to strollers and wheelchairs. At Pentagon (track to mezzanine) there were two wheel chair users. I offered to let them both go ahead. One went on. The second invited me to join him, as he had a smaller wheel chair and said we would both fit. The mezzanine to street level elevators at Pentagon are quite big - fit the wheel chair, me, and two people who had no visible reasons to not use the escalator (but who knows?).

I believe that if we make a point of using the metro as PAL's, we can actually strengthen the case for this WMATA policy. I would like to say also model for our fellow people on bikes, but to be honest, I did not see anyone else with a bike on metrorail last evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post

To score a point, ride your bike to or from a metro station and post a picture of your bike from that ride on the train during the newly opened peak hours (5 to 9:30 am and 3 to 7 pm weekdays). Put hashtag #bafsmetro in your ride to show up on the leaderboard, or post the pic and link to the ride here in this thread (hell, your impressions of the experience would be appreciated too).
    Newly opened peak hours are from 5 to 10 am, and 3 to 7 pm. The original post had 9:30 AM. Please correct the rules cause Im about to post another ride starting at 9:55 AM

4. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post
    Newly opened peak hours are from 5 to 10 am, and 3 to 7 pm. The original post had 9:30 AM. Please correct the rules cause Im about to post another ride starting at 9:55 AM
    Fine by me.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I tried this last night.

Comments: I forgot to take a picture while on metro - that said, I don't think it would have been easy to do so. I was gripping my bike with both hands to make 100% sure it did not create any problem for my fellow passengers. There was room - I was in the last car, and furlough impacted L'Enfant Plaza pretty heavily. However there were still other standees, so I wanted to be especially careful.

At elevators I yielded preference to strollers and wheelchairs. At Pentagon (track to mezzanine) there were two wheel chair users. I offered to let them both go ahead. One went on. The second invited me to join him, as he had a smaller wheel chair and said we would both fit. The mezzanine to street level elevators at Pentagon are quite big - fit the wheel chair, me, and two people who had no visible reasons to not use the escalator (but who knows?).

I believe that if we make a point of using the metro as PAL's, we can actually strengthen the case for this WMATA policy. I would like to say also model for our fellow people on bikes, but to be honest, I did not see anyone else with a bike on metrorail last evening.
    By the way, tag your ride, I think everybody agrees you'd deserve a point for that. Thanks for being a good roll model (ahuh). The world needs more people like you to counterbalance the people like me.

8. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hereís photos from my 2 Metro peak rides today. Silver line, Virginia Square to Reston between 9 and 10 AM. Silky smooth, uncrowded trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And more from tonights Metro Peak ride

Post Thanks / Like

The Freezing Saddles happy hour express from earlier tonight. Choo choo!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

12. Likes Judd, LeprosyStudyGroup, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, only one of the rides to or from Metro counts right? So if you do bike-metro-bike you would only tag one of the rides?

14. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikedavid View Post
    Just to clarify, only one of the rides to or from Metro counts right? So if you do bike-metro-bike you would only tag one of the rides?
    You donít have to make it separate rides. If you pause your computer/app when you arrive at the metro station, then un-pause when you arrive at your destination station to record the remainder of the trip to your final destination it wonít record the metro trip as part of the bike ride.

The map will show a straight line from your departure metro station to your final metro station, regardless if you had to change lines or not. Just donít forget to pause and un-pause. Then just tag #BAFSMETRO, and upload your photo here!

16. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, bikedavid liked this post