Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WMATA Welcomes Bikes on Metro Trains

Post Thanks / Like

Given that the DC portion of the CCT is now unrideable due to the NPS shutdown, I'm very happy to have Metro as an alternative.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    He misquoted my wife and made her sound like an asshole
    What did Barb really say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    What did Barb really say?

Not that she cuts off cars. The rest is just presented a little misleadingly

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Judd, Crickey7 liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Not that she cuts off cars. The rest is just presented a little misleadingly

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I didnít picture her as cutting off cars. The bad thing about print is that it takes away the non-verbal parts of communication that convey more meaning than the words.

In a long ago life I was a journalist and once quoted a soccer coach saying something really nice about some of his players. The next time I saw him he was unhappy because the words in print could be interpreted as not being complimentary without hearing him say it with enthusiasm.

Lesson learned for a young reporter.

6. Likes jrenaut, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The direct quotes weren't an issue, in my reading. It was the lead-ins or other words surrounding quotes that gave me heartburn, which makes me wonder what was said to lead the reporter to that interpretation and how much inherent bias there was. For example, the line "And Sheehy does cop to running stop signs at times and cutting off drivers." followed by a quote that does not say anything about cutting off drivers makes me think that she said something that we'd find perfectly innocuous or upsetting to us (e.g., sometimes she has to merge in front of a car when someone is parked in a bike lane) that was misrepresented as "cutting off drivers."

I almost wonder, as I often do, if the reporter set out to write about all of the problems caused, didn't find any, so then tried to fit the new story into that existing framework.

8. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Given that the DC portion of the CCT is now unrideable due to the NPS shutdown, I'm very happy to have Metro as an alternative.
    Hey! I rode it! It was slow, bumpy and so white-knuckle that I was afraid to even blink, but I only dabbed twice.

10. Likes jrenaut, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    The direct quotes weren't an issue, in my reading. It was the lead-ins or other words surrounding quotes that gave me heartburn, which makes me wonder what was said to lead the reporter to that interpretation and how much inherent bias there was....
    Yeah, agree. She and I ride together a lot, especially during Freezing Saddles. The article makes her out to be the "scofflaw cyclist" caricature, which is entirely inaccurate and not what anyone would have taken from talking to her.

I initially had emailed the writer after he reached out on Twitter, and gave my opinion on the new rule both as a bike advocate and as a husband who likes his wife coming home from work safely. On both of these fronts, the new rule is an improvement. He didn't care much about what I had to say and just wanted to talk to someone who actually would be likely to put their bike on Metro at rush hour, which I'm unlikely to do with any regularity. On one hand I get this, but on the other I made some frankly awesome points that never made it into the article.

12. Likes LhasaCM, Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default took my bike on the metro

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    Took my bike in today from Eisenhower to L'Enfant in an effort to allow the MVT to thaw. No major issues!
    I didn't anticipate taking my bike on the metro any time soon. But the new policy saved my bacon yesterday. Around 4:30, I had a flat on Fort Totten after turning off Bates. Changed the tire and then had soon had another flat. Walked to Fort Totten and took the metro to Glenmont, where a family member picked me up to go home. Kudos to WABA for getting the Metro policy changed.

(The second flat was baffling. I checked my tire for anything sharp inside. And I was able to get my tire on the rim without using tire levers; I'm confident I did not puncture the tube. I will need to investigate this over the weekend from the comfort of my home).

Post Thanks / Like

Digging through my files I found this October 1991 edition of "Metro News" which outlined the restrictions of taking a bike on Metrorail. We've come a long way.

I also found my Bicycle Permit that expired 5/16/98 which I will not post. And I thought drivers license photos were terrible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Likes bentbike33, LhasaCM, dasgeh, smb9600 liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Digging through my files I found this October 1991 edition of "Metro News" which outlined the restrictions of taking a bike on Metrorail. We've come a long way.

I also found my Bicycle Permit that expired 5/16/98 which I will not post. And I thought drivers license photos were terrible.
    I, too, once upon a time, went to Metro HQ, took the test, paid my fifteen bucks and obtained myself a bike-on-rail permit, thank you very much. I, however, threw mine away long ago.

17. Likes dasgeh liked this post