Likes Likes:  339
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beerneuring BAFS 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Lastly, Boomer forced smb9600 and me onward to Caboose Commons in Mosaic. I did not know Caboose had another location, and they brew on site as well.

Schwarzbier was my final choice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwarzbier at Caboose Commons.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	19176

Perfect for the last one of the day. Richer, darker with some chocolate hints.

What a great time! I enjoyed every minute of the ride and the hanging with bikey friends. We should do this again!

2. Likes SarahBee, smb9600, sjclaeys, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Beerneuring #2 Maryland Meadworks (Meadeneuring, or BEEneuring)

Name:	20190127_130205.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	19164

Name:	20190127_131322.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	19165

Gwen

Gwen was hazy yellow, had flowery aromas, maybe hibiscus, tropical fruit. The taste was nicely tart, with the advertised apple and papaya notes. The mouthfeel was light and nicely "petillant" (as we discussed). All in all a nice mead.

This was the first time I had visited a meadery (sorry Rumi, the place we visited in Richmond was a cidery, I misremembered). It was a lovely cozy place (even if Route 1 is not particularly cozy) Ken was happy to explain about the meads. The place is VERY bike friendly, and we should go there and support it.

Today's ride led by Jessica was lovely - I don't think I had ever ridden up the ART in winter, and I had not been to Lake Artemisia.
    This was a fabulous ride. Wonderful riding with you today Ken and Team 9. I also cannot say enough wonderful things about Maryland Meadworks. I had the Bitter Bee, which was delicious. They also have growlers to go. I packed up the Gwen Tart and it made it the entire ride back to Falls Church no problem. Everyone should check this place out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #2

Man, I am really slacking on this beerneuring thing. In fact, I have been to two LoCo breweries, but can not count them since I did not "ride to the brewery" but was driven there after a gravel ride.

I joined in on the SMB9600 Falls Church Booze Tour on Saturday. It was really great to see everyone and have a chance to relax and catch up.

First stop was Mad Fox. I had the Saison Farmhouse Ale, which was not bad for a saison, but less floral than I would have liked.

Name:	IMG_7427[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	19177

5. Likes smb9600, sjclaeys, Boomer2U, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #3

Next stop was Audacious Aleworks. They do have a cool venue, but their beer leaves a lot to be desired.

I had the Clan MacLeod Immortal, which was their newest beer, a Scottish Ale. Surprisingly it was not bad. Not great, but not bad. Not enough boozy hints for me, and a little light on the malts. It had also not been entered into UnTappd, so I got the honour of entering it in and being the first to check it in. So, there is that.

Name:	IMG_7428[1].jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	19178

7. Likes smb9600, sjclaeys, Boomer2U, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #4

Ahh. Cheers, where everyone knows your name.

Oh wait. I mean Settle Down Easy. This is the area's newest brewery and has only been open two months. Their beer is seriously on point and the space is pretty amazing, too. Plus, they have tacos and nachos in house and you can order anything on the El Tio menu (from inside the brewery) and it will be delivered in less than 10 minutes. Or you could bring your own food.

They had a new beer on tap, the Nautical Nonsense, which was a pineapple pale ale. It was, like all their beer, rather tasty. Fresh with just a hint of pineapple.

Name:	IMG_7434[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	19179

9. Likes smb9600, sjclaeys, Boomer2U, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll jump in here. On 1/11 I did my first half century and stopped at Caboose on my way home for a beer, believe it was the Citra Session IPA. It was good, better than I expected, but felt so heavy after 50 miles. The bartender gave me a couple other tasting glasses for free since it was my first time at Caboose.

Name:	caboose FS2019.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	19181

11. Likes sjclaeys, Boomer2U, Steve O, bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Route 1 isn't bike friendly, but the Meadworks is steps from where the NW Branch Trail crosses route 1, so it's easy to get to. I bike to it a lot-- it's so easy to stop by on my way home (and they have a great selection of board/card games). I suppose I should post a review the next time I bike there, but I always either get the Tart Gwen or the Dragon's Breath.

13. Likes LhasaCM, rumipumi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default josh #2 -- Port City Brewing

I went down to Port City last Friday to meet with bmif and some of his Team X compatriots (along with some others). I only needed to check my phone for directions once on the way there, so it was quite successful. I had the Porter (not pictured), Long Black Veil, and Optimal Wit. I've had the Porter and Optimal Wit elsewhere many a time, but not the Long Black Veil, a black IPA. They were all enjoyable, all tasted like various types of beer, and I managed to delegate (the hiding of two) Calvinballs to two innocent bystanders.

Name:	IMG_20190125_205804.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	19216

Name:	IMG_20190125_213549.jpg 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	19217

15. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default josh #3 -- Mad Fox

This was the only stop I made during smb9600's Falls Church brewery tour. In addition to some desperately required food, I got the farmhouse saison. It tasted like beer.

Name:	IMG_20190126_114259.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	19218

17. Likes Steve O, KWL, sjclaeys, CBGanimal, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue Jacket ride on Sunday February 3

The plan:

1. Meet at the Bladensburg Marina gazebo (the one at the top of the hill after you cross over the bridge) at 11am
    2. Bike the Anacostia River Trail to the Navy Yard and get lunch at Blue Jacket (https://bluejacketdc.com/).
    3. Bike back north to Maryland via the ART (ride organizers Rumipumi and Historygeek live in Hyattsville so we are heading home). We might head to college park to buy things at the new Proteus if you are especially hungry for additional miles/points on Sunday.

What should I bring? Bring a lock and credit card/cash, and an ID if you plan to order beer. A metro farecard in case the weather turns unexpectedly and you decide to bail.

Can I join up later/in DC? If you are from DC or VA, you can meet up with us for lunch at Blue Jacket at around 12:15 or so, and then just bike up the ART to Maryland with us after lunch if you want.

Contact: Rumi: https://www.facebook.com/rumi.matsuyama <-- hit me up via fb messenger.

19. Likes NoVaNoobGA liked this post