Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS2019 Pointless Prize: Catch and Release

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS2019 Pointless Prize: Catch and Release

As a keen observer of this years Dockless Bikepocalypse, I propose a pointless prize based around creating an informal census of previously-dockless bikes.

Post a picture to this thread of a formerly dockless-bikeshare bike you encountered on your ride and when and where you found it. Kind of like tagging an animal and releasing it back into the wild. Must be found during a ride, or during the walk to/from picking up / dropping off your Cabi or Dockless Bike.

Points will be awarded for Each new bike and location found, with some sort of observation about the uniqueness of the bike. For example, if you found this Mobike outside of the restrooms by the Washington Monument, you'd post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181231_083734.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	18707

Found 12/31 at 8:37am outside the restrooms at the Washington Monument.
    Not sure how much farther this one will go, unless you have a single leg.

Bikes that were once dockless bikes are applicable, also Cabi's that have been abandoned also apply. Current dockless bikes (Jump / Lime eBikes) and scooters do not count.

Points are awararded by my discretion, and that discretion leans towards this:
    Points are awarded per new bike, or for the same bike given that it's 1) 24 hours since it was last sighted, and 2) it's moved around 1 mile from it's previously noted position. (For example, the bike above would count once for me at it's current location. Then if someone "walked/rode/whathaveyou'd" it down to say the Lincoln Memorial, it would count again; Much like a GPS tracker on a Whale). Moving it around the block (hey what's this bike... oh yea it's missing a crank arm) is just not far enough.

Prize will be revealed at the ending happy hour! (Probably Cabi-Related!)

--Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I never forgot about this one Pete! I've been keeping my eyes peeled this whole time with no success until this morning.
    This lovely mo'fo (a delightful portmanteau I've coined for the purpose) was sitting at the crosswalk of 17th st by the WW2 memorial this morning.
    It has a broken wing, but Drevil could probably still make use of it without having to change his bike riding technique much.

I think I spotted this guy leaving the scene.
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 01-28-2019 at 07:56 AM.

3. Likes Judd, Henry, Steve O, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    I never forgot about this one Pete! I've been keeping my eyes peeled this whole time with no success until this morning.
    This lovely mo'fo (a delightful portmanteau I've coined for the purpose) was sitting at the crosswalk of 17th st by the WW2 memorial this morning.
    It has a broken wing, but Drevil could probably still make use of it without having to change his bike riding technique much.
    Haha, we saw that bike yesterday on our way to the group ride. It took me a minute to process that it was a dockless where someone took ownership and beautified it to their own specs. Helluva theft deterrent with that broken bar though

Since you mention it, yes, I have broken a wing before

5. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, Nadine, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/29, 7am, Anacostia Park: found this Ofo in a state that I have a feeling most are in now.

7. Likes Steve O, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    1/29, 7am, Anacostia Park: found this Ofo in a state that I have a feeling most are in now.

Reminder that Velocity Bikes in Alexandria sold about 100 of these ofos sans lock (like this one). ofo offered them to several NPOs when they skipped town last year. I'll note that Phoenix Bikes, Gearin' Up, and Bikes for the World all passed on the offer from ofo because they suspected the bikes would become "use it until it breaks, then discard" litter. Here's one data point to support that theory.

Henry

9. Likes Judd, Nadine liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten about this Pointless Prize. I've seen a couple of these, but didn't think of taking a picture. Now I'll remember.

11. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Reminder that Velocity Bikes in Alexandria sold about 100 of these ofos sans lock (like this one). ofo offered them to several NPOs when they skipped town last year. I'll note that Phoenix Bikes, Gearin' Up, and Bikes for the World all passed on the offer from ofo because they suspected the bikes would become "use it until it breaks, then discard" litter. Here's one data point to support that theory.

Henry
    Yeah, I brought a handlebar in to work the other morning to attach to that one I found, so someone could ride it again, but they have a goofy welded solid box headset that can't accept any standard replacement parts. I assume NPS came by and tossed it in the trash truck yesterday.

13. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to report that I was wrong about the fate of that bike. Someone moved it to a not-far off bike rack and I spotted it again yesterday morning. I decided to give it a ride. In addition to the missing handlebar, the back wheel is bent just enough that it can just barely roll over. With the one hand and healthy shimmy, going anywhere on it was a bit like riding one of those mechanical bulls. I dropped it off at the bathroom.

15. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a whole bunch of these in Crystal City, but I'll just claim one point for the whole mess of 'em.

Name:	orange ofo.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	19295

Name:	bunch.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	19296

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday in Georgetown: