Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Michigander-You call THAT a snow day?!-Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2019 Michigander-You call THAT a snow day?!-Prize

**UPDATE** Official Snowdays in Play:
    • Monday, January 14, 2019
    • Wednesday, February 20, 2019

(Rules Follow Below)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    After a year of rain, there's always that hope that, should the deluge continue, the temperatures will drop to that magic range that results in a winter wonderland. With is comes the child-like joy of a day where the ground is white and work is cancelled (or at very least, we got a dusting, but work's still cancelled).
    For such an occasion, there's the Michigander-"You call THAT a snow day?!"-Prize!

Name:  AP-Severe-Weather-Michigan-M.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  45.8 KB

This prize is in honor of my homeland, the Mitten State, where traditionally snow days were only called if it snowed more than 5 inches starting after 3am (giving no time to clear the roads for buses), and MSU prided itself for not cancelling class due to weather since "that one time in the 70s." This was in lower Michigan of course, up North they shrug and drive on two feet of compacted snow. Also there is risk of snow 6 months of the year. The above photo was taken in April in Muskegon.

The rules are simple:
    • The person who rides on the most official OPM-called "snow days" wins.
    • This means weekdays when the operating status of the Federal government in the DC-area is CLOSED due to snow/winter weather. Late arrive/early departure days and snowy days on the weekend do not count. Neither do cancellations due to rain, wind, curse of darkness, or POTUS.
    • Only rides in the Greater Washington area count for this (Sorry snow birds)
    • Ties, which I anticipate will be many, will be broken by cumulative distance.

In case of a tie, the tie-breaker will be whoever rides the most miles on Michigan's Birthday: January 26th (This is a Saturday this year. Don't disappoint me.) Michigan Day may also count for a stand-alone bonus prize. We'll see.

The Prize:
    The winner of the Michigander Prize will win a 6-pack of carefully curated craft brews from the Mitten State. Awarded by either myself, or my-man-in-the-mitten Bob James.

I will use this thread to keep track of the snow days, but feel free to post your snow day ride pictures and stories. I just might come up with some runner-up prizes for such that best encapsulate one of our state mottos of "Winter Wonderland."

**Notice: This prize is not meant to encourage or promote dangerous or stupid behavior for the sake of winning. If conditions are bad or authorities are telling you to stay off the roads. In Michigan we stay in during the storm, and play hard in the snow afterward. Have fun but be safe!**
    Last edited by Kitty; 02-20-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ladies and Gents! It's OFFICIAL!!! Despite the storm being over the weekend, despite a huge bulk of the government (including yours-truly) on furlough WE HAVE A SNOW DAY!!!

Henceforth, miles ridden on January 14, 2019 will count for the Michigander Prize! Non-essential, or not, get out there and have some fun. ^_^

3. Likes jrenaut, streetsmarts liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Ladies and Gents! It's OFFICIAL!!! Despite the storm being over the weekend, despite a huge bulk of the government (including yours-truly) on furlough WE HAVE A SNOW DAY!!!

Henceforth, miles ridden on January 14, 2019 will count for the Michigander Prize! Non-essential, or not, get out there and have some fun. ^_^
    First stop: Lazy Mike's for pancakes. See you there!

Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes Kitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Squint and imagine little bikes instead...

8. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts, Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10. Likes LhasaCM, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    Squint and imagine little bikes instead...

Oh my!! This is amazing!! I like it when the one guy goes backwards for a bit!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. Likes Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh snap! Two in one year! It's SNOW DAY TIME!

Tomorrow, February 20 will be another chance to add mileage to your Michigander Prize total. Finally, a race!
    Last edited by Kitty; 02-20-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Edited to reflect actual numerical date

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Oh snap! Two in one year! It's SNOW DAY TIME!

Tomorrow, February 19 will be another chance to add mileage to your Michigander Prize total. Finally, a race!
    Did I miss something? Everyone seemed to be working normally today, February 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Did I miss something? Everyone seemed to be working normally today, February 19.
    Touche! Serves me right for typing while tired. I'll fix that...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk