Likes Likes:  456
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rides, gatherings, and events for FS 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Think we need something to warm us up in this kind of weather. A bit last minute but if you don't have plans tomorrow night, let's head over to Arlington Rooftop Bar & Grill tomorrow (Thurs) night from 6 – 8:30ish PM, possibly longer, for some libations to warm us up for the way home.

2. Likes smb9600, bmif liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beers were had, plans were hatched! Small group but a fun one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-30 - frosty mugs.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	19240
    Last edited by secstate; 01-31-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

MOAR LAST MINUTE CAPITAL LETTER ANNOUNCEMENTS TO GO TO BEERS:

Team X, snow patrol, fun team will be sending select members and ‘friends of’ to New District Brewing on Friday night. Some of us will roll from Contes in Old Town at 7:25 pm, some can meet us at New District at 8ish. They close at 10, we’ll probably shut it down. Please join us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes bikedavid, Judd, smb9600, komorebi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikedavid View Post
    Think we need something to warm us up in this kind of weather. A bit last minute but if you don't have plans tomorrow night, let's head over to Arlington Rooftop Bar & Grill tomorrow (Thurs) night from 6 – 8:30ish PM, possibly longer, for some libations to warm us up for the way home.
    No one is here

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of jinxing the dumpling ride -- it looks like it actually might not rain on Saturday!!! But it will be cold, especially at the beginning and the restarts, so layer appropriately.

If you're driving to the Whole Foods, there's metered street parking and also free parking in many of the Crystal City garages. The ride officially ends at District Dumplings on South Glebe, but that's only a few miles from the Whole Foods and I'm happy to bike back with anyone who doesn't know the way.

Hope to see you on Saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    At the risk of jinxing the dumpling ride -- it looks like it actually might not rain on Saturday!!!
    Ooops, spoke too soon. Clearly, the heavier-than-expected snowfall this morning was all my fault. The roads and trails might still be dicey on Saturday morning, so I'm postponing this ride until SUNDAY, February 3. Same times as before: 9:00 a.m. rollout from Whole Foods, getting to Mark's Duck House by 10:00 a.m. We should finish riding well before the start of the Super Bowl/Puppy Bowl, if that's your thing.

And if the lamentable lack of dumplings has you casting about for other things to do on Saturday afternoon, you should go to the Four Mile Run cleanup from noon to 2:30 p.m.: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...811#post186811.
    Last edited by komorebi; 02-01-2019 at 10:31 AM.

9. Likes rumipumi, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please confirm - this has changed to Sunday February 3 correct? but same meetup and timing?

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Dumpling ride on Saturday, February 2. The plan:
    • Meet for coffee at 8:30 a.m., Whole Foods Pentagon City, 520 12th Street S. If you're feeling especially brave, try the dumplings there.
    • Roll out from Whole Foods at 9:00 a.m. and ride to Falls Church.
    • Be at Mark's Duck House, 6184 Arlington Blvd., when it opens at 10:00 a.m. Order dumplings and other dishes from traditional dim sum carts.
    • Ride some of the new bike lanes in Annandale to get to A&J, 4316 Markham St. Enjoy dumplings and other Chinese small plates.
    • Ride more of the new bike lanes in Annandale to get back to the W&OD.
    • Finish the ride at District Dumplings in South Arlington, 2923 S. Glebe Rd.

Have questions? Read on.

Why dumplings? As bikedavid pointed out, there's nothing like a steaming hot plate of dumplings on a cold winter day.

What's the route? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29186688. About thirty miles, a mix of trails and roads. Social pace (12-15 mph), no drop. All FS participants and friends are welcome.

What should I bring? Bring a lock and cash (A&J is cash only).

Can I join the ride along the way? Sure. Send me a PM with your email address so that I can temporarily add you to my Garmin LiveTrack. You'll get an email when we start riding, with a link to see where we are in real time.

What if I'm vegetarian? A&J and District Dumplings have both meat and vegetarian dumplings, as well as other vegetarian dishes. I can't find the dim sum menu for Mark's Duck House online, but there should be vegetarian options.

What if the weather is bad? My Asian food rides have a history of being epically soggy. I'm hoping that the third time is the charm, but watch this thread for updates.

Why February 2? This is the last Saturday before the Chinese New Year, which starts on February 5 this year. Dumplings are traditionally eaten to bring good luck in the new year.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh duh, just saw this. original poster may want to update the original post to avoid confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumipumi View Post
    Please confirm - this has changed to Sunday February 3 correct? but same meetup and timing?
    Quote Originally Posted by rumipumi View Post
    Oh duh, just saw this. original poster may want to update the original post to avoid confusion.
    Thanks. Original post updated. And yes, the ride has been changed to Sunday, February 3, but otherwise the timing is the same: meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Whole Foods for coffee, roll out at 9:00 a.m., be at Mark's Duck House by 10:00 a.m.

I may tweak the route slightly to avoid untreated trails. If so, I'll post the new RWGPS link in this thread.

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue Jacket ride on Sunday February 3

The plan: Meet at the Bladensburg Marina gazebo (the one at the top of the hill after you cross over the bridge) at 11am

1. Bike the Anacostia River Trail to the Navy Yard and get lunch at Blue Jacket (https://bluejacketdc.com/).
    2. Bike back north to Maryland via the ART (ride organizers Rumipumi and Historygeek live in Hyattsville so we are heading home). We might head to college park to buy things at the new Proteus if you are especially hungry for additional miles/points on Sunday.

What should I bring? Bring a lock and credit card/cash, and an ID if you plan to order beer. A metro farecard in case the weather turns unexpectedly and you decide to bail.

Can I join up later/in DC? If you are from DC or VA, you can meet up with us for lunch at Blue Jacket at around 12:15 or so, and then just bike up the ART to Maryland with us after lunch if you want.

Contact: Rumi: https://www.facebook.com/rumi.matsuyama <-- hit me up via fb messenger.
    Last edited by rumipumi; 02-01-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: date change!