Likes Likes:  103
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bill Sweetman opinion on safety

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you havenít ever been to this trail by foot or bike, itís worth a visit. Thereís a nice view of DC. You can also watch Amtrak and VRE trains go by. If you have a kid with you and give them a signal they will sound the train whistle for you. It also has a nice view of the waterfowl sanctuary which is otherwise inaccessible without a car.

I also enjoy biking the rough in the summer sometimes and watching folks playing lacrosse and ultimate frisbee and flag football.

I bike on this trail about every two months or so when I have a lazy day to lollygag or have some time to pass before meeting someone in National Landing.

2. Likes Crickey7, dasgeh liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Long Bridge Park connects you to the Pentagon MTB park. Which connects you to the MVT and the 14th St bridge. It is an excellent route.

Post Thanks / Like

The WashCycle blog points out most home/renters insurance won't cover riding an electric bicycle, so riders ought to take out some sort of coverage. Velosurance/Markel offer a liability policy and Balance an injury policy to riders of electric bicycles that meet the federal CPSC regulations or that fall into the Class 1 and Class 2 e-bike categories under the People for Bikes state e-bike legislation. But insurers wonít pay out if the rider is riding somewhere they technically shouldnít, the trouble is that includes commuting arteries like the Potomac bridge side paths and connecting sections of trails a rider needs to use to safely cross the river to get to the streets on either side. The problem is the confusing overlapping jurisdictions with electric bicycle and scooter prohibitions, it will not encourage riders to take out personal liability insurance that is invalidated on connector sections of trail where pedestrian/bicycle collisions might occur. Also the DC 2015 Motor Vehicle Collision Recovery Act should be amended to include legal electric bicycle and scooters - it is inequitable to deny the protections that law provides to e-bike/scooter riders when that law covers riders of electric powered segways. The current mess of overlapping conflicting jurisdictions obliges e-bike commuting residents to break a DC or Arlington County Municipal Regulation every time they need to cross a bridge to ride to work. With the Capital Bikeshare Plus trial now underway DC and Arlington County are funding fleets of e-bikes as a public transportation utility so they own this problem. There is a growing need to provide a safe legal insurable way for riders of low speed limited electric bikes (and scooters) to commute to and from DC.

5. Likes Steve O, buschwacker liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard this claim that "most" home/renters insurance won't cover ebikes, but the last three companies I've had have all covered them. I'd be interested to see an analysis of this.

Ebikes (that meet the relevant legal definition) are about expanding the accessibility of biking to populations who otherwise physically couldn't do it. That's why we've seen a host of senior-aged celebrities come out pro-ebike recently. That's also why the family-biking crowd is so pro-ebike. Laws that restrict ebikes in places where bikes are allowed (again, that meet the definition) are basically saying cycling should only be available to the physically fit. I don't think laws should be (to use the shorthand) ableist. But at the very least, the laws should be changed to allow ebikes in non-assist mode everywhere bikes are allowed. That would, for practical purposes, eliminate the insurance angle.

Post Thanks / Like

From the last time I was shopping and asked out of curiosity, I think a lot of companies fell back on the local legal definition for whether or not the e-bike is considered a motor vehicle or not (based on what the agent thought), but not all companies behave the same.

Also for consideration for those looking at insurance: standard homeowners insurance (especially in this area) potentially can be a more expensive option for covering your bike than a separate policy. YMMV of course, but in our case: for my bikes, the 1% deductible on our regular home policy wouldn't make a loss claim worthwhile, and adding a separate bicycle rider (so lower deductible for just that) was significantly more expensive and less comprehensive than a comparable Velosurance/Markel policy. But that also underscores one of the points in the article: I don't have an insurance policy because it makes me feel safer or should make you feel safer. I have it because it makes me feel more comfortable about the smaller range of losses I could incur should something happen such as my bike being stolen or something else that would otherwise be covered by my home insurance but maybe at a higher out-of-pocket cost. It also gives me a bit of peace of mind since, without a car, I don't have an auto policy to fall back on for things like being hit by a uninsured or underinsured motorist.

8. Likes dasgeh, Dewey liked this post