Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lost Dog Award

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Lost Dog Award

#BAFS2019LostDog

The pointless prize with a point.

Due to circumstances beyond their control (mostly related to the fact that 2018 was the year of the mud in one form or another), there is an influx of rescue dogs in residence at the Lost Dog and Cat Rescue kennel in Falls Church. Most of these dogs are relatively young and have lots of energy that need to be expended. This is where you fine freezing folks come in.

So, get on your bike, ride to the kennel and walk some dogs (or if that is not your thing, play with some cats or clean some cages/kennels)!

Team Bikenetic (and friends) tend to volunteer on Thursday evenings, if you want to ensure you have some company for your first trip out to the Kennel. Bob (rcannon) and I will set up a couple of orientation times over the next few weeks if Thursday does not work for you, but you are not required to go to one of those.

Shelter Location:
    6801 Wilson Blvd
    Falls Church, VA 22044
    It is directly behind Eden Center & must be accessed by the smaller entrance to Eden Center off of Wilson Blvd (entrance with no arch, smaller concrete lions, right next to Arlington Motors sign). Once you turn into Eden Center, immediately turn left. Follow road to a large gray building with yellow awnings. Park in the little lot by the building, but not at the building across the street, if you are driving. Bikes are welcome in the lobby, if needed.

Contact Person for Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation:
    lostdogbarb@gmail.com

Additional info and sign up sheet:
    https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0...a64-dogwalking

(Please read following comments for points info, prize info, and FAQ's)

2. Dislikes bikedavid disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prizes and Points

Prizes:
    First Prize – Gift Card to Lost Dog Pizza (amount TBD, but definitely enough for a couple of pizzas and a few beverages) and some Lost Dog Paraphernalia (TBD, working this out with the rescue)
    Second Prize – Some Lost Dog Paraphernalia (TBD, working this out with the rescue) and a Lost Dog gift card (amount TBD, but enough for a pizza and a beverage)
    Third Prize – Some Lost Dog Paraphernalia (TBD, working this out with the rescue)

Points System
    Activity Points
    Ride to Shelter/Adoption Event (#BAFS2019LostDog)* 5
    Walk/play with dog (per dog) 10**
    Play with cats (per 20 minutes) 10
    Clean kennel/cage (point per) 5
    Attend adoption event 15
    Directly contribute to dog or cat getting adopted 50
    Raise money and/or donate to the rescue (per $10) 1
    Donate food (per 5lb) 1
    Foster a dog/cat 250
    Adopt dog or cat 1000

* Note, you do not have to ride your bike to get points! But in order to get points, you do have to volunteer or drop off donations (so, you can not just ride there, turn around and get five points).
    **Double points if you go at 7am before coffee club!

Points Verification:
    You are all adults, I trust you. Please do not scam the system. Remember, you must sign in to the volunteer log, and I can check that if needed.
    All posts (unless noted) need to be posted to this thread.

• All rides to the rescue (or to an adoption event) should be tagged with #BAFS2019LostDog.
    • Dog & Cat points – Please post a photo of you walking/playing with the dog/cat(s) and describe the amount of time (for cats) and/or number of dogs you walked during that visit. If you want the bonus points for morning dog walks, please post the time of your arrival. If you suck at selfies, just post photos of the animals.
    • Cleaning points – If you happen to clean cages/kennels while you are at the rescue, please post how many you cleaned. Pictures are always appreciated.
    • Adoption events – Post LOTS of pictures!
    • Contribution to adoption – Post LOTS of pictures (and tell me the story, I LOVE stories!).
    • Donations – Photos/receipts are fine. Feel free to PM the info to me if you would rather not post publicly.
    • Adoption – OMG. ALL THE PHOTOS! And please, let me know if this is going to happen. There might be goodies in it for you and your new furry friend!
    Last edited by Sunyata; 01-07-2019 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Because fostering is also very important.

Post Thanks / Like

Default FAQ's

Can Friends of Freezing Saddles play?
    Yes. But those affiliated with Lost Dog and Cat Rescue are eligible for points, but not prizes.

Wait, what does that mean?
    That means that Bob can play for points, but not prizes.

What if I do not have a way to take a picture?
    If for some reason, you still live in 1996 and do not have a cell phone capable of taking a photo, I will take your word, but only if you buy me a beer.

What if two of us go and walk a dog together?
    Guess what? I like team work, you both get points! But, it would be more fun for the dogs if you each took a dog out.

What if I am allergic to dogs and cats?
    You know what, I am allergic to cats, too. It sucks. Cats are such great little heaters. Donate money, food, or other supplies. Or, if you have a friend/partner/child that is not allergic, send them in your place. Live vicariously through them!

What if I hate cats and dogs?
    Wait What? You are a terrible person and should be banned from all things fun.

So, what is the point of this pointless prize?
    The point is to get these dogs and cats who have been placed into a shelter situation through no fault of their own a little socialization and exercise. Perhaps, even to find them a new home, where they can live in comfort and safety for the rest of their life. In addition, through donations and your volunteering, ensure that the Lost Dog & Cat Foundation can continue to provide shelter and hope to animals in need.

5. Likes huskerdont, josh, rcannon100, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Standings

This post is reserved for updating standings.
    Last edited by Sunyata; 01-04-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

"What if I hate cats and dogs?
    Wait… What? You are a terrible person and should be banned from all things fun."

That was my laugh of the day, but I doubt they need to be banned since they probably already self-exclude.

Thanks for doing this. It will fill me with sads since we can't adopt any other doggos and the girl is allergic to cats, but I am still going to make it my business to get out there.

This here is a happily adopted doggo showing his xmas attitude:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181225_080825.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	18689

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    What if I hate cats and dogs?
    Wait… What? You are a terrible person and should be banned from all things fun.
    So we are then all agreed that SteveO is a terrible person and should be banned from all things fun?
    Last edited by sjclaeys; 12-26-2018 at 04:23 PM.

9. Likes Judd, Steve O, huskerdont, Emm, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    So we are then all agreed that SteveO is a terrible person and should be banned from all things fun?
    More than just terrible.

11. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, okay, okay..... few things here

First, Dogs rule and Cats drool. Enuf said!

Second, ah, if you’re cleaning kennels, you probably deserve more than 2 points!

Third,

That means Bob can play for points but not for prizes

Join us Thursday night or any time. Contact me and I am glad to orient you. During winter break / furlough I have been walking dogs along the WOD in Falls Church getting them a little bit more visiting time with potential forever families

Finally, Adopt Darby!

Name:	60AB7ED9-8F20-4658-A4C0-077223DFC0C0.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	18690

PS You can park your bike safely inside the kennel in the storage room behind the office.

PPS: Try the tofu place in the Eden Center!
    Last edited by rcannon100; 12-27-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Second, ah, if you’re cleaning kennels, you probably deserve more than 2 points!
    Okay. Updated to 5 per kennel/cage. Trying to keep things even for an hour of volunteer time to net you 30 points. I guess it is probably more reasonable to clean 6 kennels an hour instead of 15.

14. Likes Judd, Nadine, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a GREAT idea! FYI, our dog, Cooper, is adopted from Lost Dog.

Name:	49022287_2228574540745412_6568452992268238848_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	18692

16. Likes huskerdont, josh, Nadine, streetsmarts, schvin liked this post