Likes Likes:  977
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Calvinball 2019 Official Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calvinball hide (tupperware)

One Calvinball has been hidden:
    You received a "Telegraph" of the Calvinball's location at the Entrance to Hell in Alexandria.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 - 6Bupgbp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	19183

Name:	3 - yYtuqq7.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	19184

Name:	2 - tpE7WAo.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	19185

Name:	1 - mk29mKb.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	19186

2. Likes Steve O, rcannon100, Thor, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hobbes has been frolicking around the alleys of Old Town, found some left-over Heineken and is now sleeping off the buzz in a miniature Siberian forest, but don't make him sleep there all night!!!

Name:	Hobbes 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	19189 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbes 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	19190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobbes 3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	19191 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbes 4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	19192

4. Likes Steve O, josh, kwarkentien liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Perhaps it's time to give some extra hints on exactly where it is?
    Oh, c'mon! I live way over in Virginia, have no clue about these neighborhoods or establishments, and about 90 seconds of sleuthing was all it took to figure this out.
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-28-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: but then...we Virginians may be way smarter than those Murrlanders.

6. Likes sszibler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sszibler View Post
    You don’t recognize the neon sign? If you go to the coordinates mentioned, it would be difficult to miss. What store has a huge W?
    Nope, don't recognize any of it. Then again, I rarely go to that area. And when I do, I'm focused on finding Friendship Heights, not on what stores may be in the area. Plus, as I recall, you said it was in Friendship Park, a location that doesn't exist on Google maps. At a guess, I would have assumed it was a park.

But I'm not your target audience anyway. I get involved in Freezing Saddles for four reasons:

1. To motivate myself to get out for at least a short ride every day.
    2. To motivate myself to commute by bike more often.
    3. To motivate myself to bike rather than taking Uber for errands.
    4. To meet people.

Since riding in my limited spare time is not one of my goals, I have only a passing interest in Calvinball. If I needed to go there for some other reason, and had some free time, I'd look. If we're talking about a 10-mile ride to look for it, I'm unlikely to do so.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 01-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Oh, c'mon! I live way over in Virginia, have no clue about these neighborhoods or establishments, and about 90 seconds of sleuthing was all it took to figure this out.
    I wasn't looking for it. I was merely commenting that if it had been there for a week, it was probably difficult to find.

I think Szibler is under the impression that I go there often, because we've had a couple of flybys there. I don't. I was there those times because I couldn't take my own bike, and had to use a Jump. And I was blindly following Google maps to Friendship Heights, because that is as far as I'm allowed to take a Jump.

Post Thanks / Like

Sszibler's lost Calvinball:
    Presumably somewhere near the Friendship Heights Whole Foods, next to Friendship Heights Park. W sign shown on Street View here. I don't know the area well enough for the last three photos to help without being there in person, but if that aids anyone else, please go retrieve it.

I'm putting out a 3x points bounty on this.
    Last edited by josh; 01-28-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added link to post

10. Likes sszibler, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Nope, don't recognize any of it. Then again, I rarely go to that area. And when I do, I'm focused on finding Friendship Heights, not on what stores may be in the area. Plus, as I recall, you said it was in Friendship Park, a location that doesn't exist on Google maps. At a guess, I would have assumed it was a park.

But I'm not your target audience anyway. I get involved in Freezing Saddles for four reasons:

1. To motivate myself to get out for at least a short ride every day.
    2. To motivate myself to commute by bike more often.
    3. To motivate myself to bike rather than taking Uber for errands.
    4. To meet people.

Since riding in my limited spare time is not one of my goals, I have only a passing interest in Calvinball. If I needed to go there for some other reason, and had some free time, I'd look. If we're talking about a 10-mile ride to look for it, I'm unlikely to do so.
    I thought I saw you bemoaning the fact that there were no Calvin Balls near you, which is why I braved the snow and windchill to hide it there. I figured if it wasnít at your exact location the Metro could help with its wonderful (kidding) elevators. You were sick at that time, so it would have been easy to miss.

Possibly Steve Mitchell will get it since he lives right there.

The idea was to put it near Friendship themes since itís the Friendship Calvin Ball.

The original post was on page 13, #130, but someone else pretty much just spelled it out. The pictures will help.

If you do a google maps search for Friendship Heights Park, it will come right up. Without the search you have to go in very close, which might be the case if you were looking for Friendship Blvd.
    Last edited by sszibler; 01-28-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    One Calvinball has been hidden:

Name:	4 - 6Bupgbp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	19183

Name:	3 - yYtuqq7.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	19184

Name:	2 - tpE7WAo.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	19185

Name:	1 - mk29mKb.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	19186
    Calvinball acquired. To be hidden later...

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This from the first post establishing this game seems to have been forgotten: "Consider Thee Calvinball a Hot-potatoe game - not a hide-and-seek game. This be not geocaching."

15. Likes Sunyata, kwarkentien, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    This from the first post establishing this game seems to have been forgotten: "Consider Thee Calvinball a Hot-potatoe game - not a hide-and-seek game. This be not geocaching."
    Yeah, that's part of my issue. I know Calvin is near the Whole Foods. But there are two different bushes pictured, neither of which shows Calvin. So I'd be searching (most likely in the dark). And since I'm someone who has only a 50/50 chance of finding the butter if I'm told it's on the second shelf of the refrigerator, I find that daunting.

Now that I know sszibler hid it specifically for me, I may have to check. But I'm still not optimistic.

17. Likes rcannon100 liked this post