Likes Likes:  69
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Reacts to News of Bike Trail Improvements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    a small section in Vienna WAS widened, and IIUC a small piece of the Custis is being widened.
    In Vienna case, the town of Vienna paid for the small W&OD widening as part of their Community Center Renovation and Expansion Project(See details at this link). The Custis trail gets more traffic, and was partially funded with grant from the Federal Highway Administration Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Program, managed by VDOT, and in the IoD case, 20% of the grant amount comes from the county.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't make sense to widen a small segment with 6 stop signs. Almost everyone is not stopping or slowing down now, are they going to stop or slow down when the trail widen? Most likely we would get complaints from drivers calling for enforcement. So why widen it at all? My concern though is not the stop signs, but unsafe passes, and keeping on doing it outside the small wide segment. For FC, it's all revenue.

Post Thanks / Like

"So why widen at all?"

To get the mode separation on an overcrowded trail and improve safety.

Cyclists not stopping at the stop signs is a separate issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to widen a small segment with 6 stop signs. Almost everyone is not stopping or slowing down now, are they going to stop or slow down when the trail widen? Most likely we would get complaints from drivers calling for enforcement. So why widen it at all? My concern though is not the stop signs, but unsafe passes, and keeping on doing it outside the small wide segment. For FC, it's all revenue.
    "As Feuchtner mentioned, however, he hopes that the success of the split lanes will cause the changes to spread east and west of the City, making the improvements uniform rather than unique."

Emphasis mine.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert Kennedy has got this covered. “Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not.”

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

For FC, it's all revenue.
    Huh? I don't think they get any money from this. What they get is a wider, safer, better-lighted trail. Unless there's some sort of kickback going on.

7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
  8. 12-18-2018, 01:32 PM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the concern about the potential gridlock that this is going to cause to area trails? Widening the trail is only going to lead to induced demand. Before you know it, cyclists and pedestrians are going to spill out and start using the neighborhood streets as cut-throughs, terrorizing drivers who will be fearful of rolling out of their own driveways. They also need to perform studies on the amount of traffic delay this will put on trail-users coming to and from the Arlington Loop. Perhaps Falls Church should consider congestion pricing for trail-users? (/heaping dose of sarcasm )

10. Likes Emm, Steve O, Starduster, Brett L., Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    "As Feuchtner mentioned, however, he hopes that the success of the split lanes will cause the changes to spread east and west of the City, making the improvements uniform rather than unique."

Emphasis mine.
    It's a well-supported hope. NOVAParks has a feasibility study in-hand that covers Broad Street to George Mason Drive.

Name:  dualtrailstudy.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  19.4 KB

13. Likes Starduster liked this post