Likes Likes:  89
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: #FS2019coffeeride Pointless Prize

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default #FS2019coffeeride Pointless Prize

    Will do this again this year. This is different than Coffeecatting, but could overlap with it to some degree. I've tweaked the rules a little from last year:

    1. The object is to visit as many DIFFERENT LOCAL, i.e., DMV, coffee places as possible (on your bike, of course!). But once you visit one place, that's it. A second visit doesn't count.

    2. Starbucks is verboten. But other chains, e.g., Peet's, Cosi, etc., are fair game. However once you visit one chain outlet, that's it. A visit to the same outlet but at a different location doesn't count. I know the Starbucks ban is arbitrary, but my prize so my rules.

    3. "Swamp" coffee, e.g., 7-Eleven, Wawa, etc., is OK but subject to the same conditions as in #2 above.

    4. Bakeries, restaurants, and even fast food joints that serve coffee are also OK but subject to the same conditions as in #2 above.

    5. For your ride to count, use #FS2019coffeeride in your Strava ride title and include the name of the place you visited, e.g., #FS2019coffeeride Java Shack. NOTE: Posting of coffee rides is totally honor system, i.e., I'm assuming you're following the rules. Not required, but encouraged, is to also post pics on your Strava. And if you want to post your Strava ride link and pics on this thread for all to see, that would be fun too (but not required).

    6. The winner will be whoever has visited the most DIFFERENT coffee places.

    7. The tiebreaker will be whoever has the coffee shops per coffee ride miles ridden.

    8. If needed, the second tie breaker will be whoever has visited the most "swamp coffee" places.

    9. FINALLY, both consularrider and bikedavid are welcome to play but aren't eligible to win this year. Sorry guys! But you won prizes last year and I'd like to give someone else a chance to win.

    Please let me know if you have any questions. Get your caffeine game on!
    Last edited by chuxtr; 12-19-2018 at 06:58 AM.

  2. Likes bikedavid, lossomes, Stevenroy liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if the answer to this question matters considering that you have ruled consularrider ineligible to win, but does "as many DIFFERENT LOCAL, i.e., DMV, coffee places as possible" mean that visiting a new, non-Starbucks location on bike that's outside of DC, Virginia and Maryland (or is the DMV area smaller?) not count? This is assuming of course you haven't already visited it if it has multiple locations.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I don't know if the answer to this question matters considering that you have ruled consularrider ineligible to win, but does "as many DIFFERENT LOCAL, i.e., DMV, coffee places as possible" mean that visiting a new, non-Starbucks location on bike that's outside of DC, Virginia and Maryland (or is the DMV area smaller?) not count? This is assuming of course you haven't already visited it if it has multiple locations.
    I'd like to make the competition as "local" as possible this year. But DMV can be taken literally, i.e., DC, Maryland, and Virginia. So anything out of DC, Maryland, and Virginia won't count.

    Part of my decision to tweak the rules a little was motivated by consularrider literally riding away with the competition but doing virtually all of his rides in Germany. That was fun and cool to follow, but I'd really like to see this as a competition between local DMV riders visiting local DMV coffee shops.

    P.S. Your question prompted me to think of making possible exceptions, but it's just going to be too difficult/unwieldly if I try to do that.

  5. #4
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    I'd like to make the competition as "local" as possible this year. But DMV can be taken literally, i.e., DC, Maryland, and Virginia. So anything out of DC, Maryland, and Virginia won't count.
    My two cents is that if a local rider happens to be out of town and does a coffee ride, that should count. For instance, during coffeeneuring season I happened to be out in Colorado, and I rode borrowed bikes to local coffee shops there, which was fun.
    Perhaps a cap on non-local #coffeerides? No more than 20% of all your #coffeerides. Or no more than, say 3 or 5 or something.
    Anyway, I like to see when people make the effort when they are out of town to go for a ride somewhere, and a coffee shop is a great "somewhere."

  6. Likes Emm, Edelweiss liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    My two cents is that if a local rider happens to be out of town and does a coffee ride, that should count. For instance, during coffeeneuring season I happened to be out in Colorado, and I rode borrowed bikes to local coffee shops there, which was fun.
    Perhaps a cap on non-local #coffeerides? No more than 20% of all your #coffeerides. Or no more than, say 3 or 5 or something.
    Anyway, I like to see when people make the effort when they are out of town to go for a ride somewhere, and a coffee shop is a great "somewhere."
    I agree. I was starting to write up an "exceptions to the rules" and it got out of hand. But in the spirit of not wanting to discourage occasional of-the-DMV coffee rides (your scenario was exactly what I was thinking about), this addendum to the rules:

    Non-local, i.e., not in DC, Maryland, or Virginia, coffee rides can be included, but not more than 12 (twelve) total (basically one per week during Freezing Saddles) and they can be no more one-third of your total coffee rides. Again, this is honor system.

  8. Likes Steve O, Edelweiss, Boomer2U liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bonus prize if anyone can visit all 15 of these coffee shops: https://dc.eater.com/maps/essential-...nia-best-latte This is separate from the overall challenge, but still document your ride #FS2019coffeeride. Consider this a "side bet" of sorts, so this is open to EVERYONE, including consularrider and bikedavid.

    Edited to include exact location for shops with more than one:

    Baked & Wired
    Blue Bottle - Georgetown
    Bourbon Coffee - L Street NW
    Colada Shop - T Street NW
    Commonwealth Joe
    Compass Coffee - 7th Street NW
    Dolcezza - 14th Street NW
    Grace Street Coffee Roasters
    Maketto
    Philz Coffee - Adams Mill Road NW
    Pitango - 7th Street NW
    Qualia Coffee - Georgia Avenue NW
    Royal
    Wydown Coffee Bar - 14th Street NW
    Gregorys Coffee

    But there's a "catch" to make this different from the overall #FS2019coffeeride. You have to document your rides in this thread with the Strava link to your ride and some sort of photographic evidence that you visited each of the above 15 coffee shops riding your bike. First person to visit all 15 wins the bonus prize.
    Last edited by chuxtr; 12-28-2018 at 09:33 AM.

  10. Likes Edelweiss, bikedavid liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Bonus prize if anyone can visit all 15 of these coffee shops: https://dc.eater.com/maps/essential-...nia-best-latte This is separate from the overall challenge, but still document your ride #FS2019coffeeride. Consider this a "side bet" of sorts, so this is open to EVERYONE, including consularrider and bikedavid.

    Baked & Wired
    Blue Bottle
    Bourbon Coffee
    Colada Shop
    Commonwealth Joe
    Compass Coffee
    Dolcezza
    Grace Street Coffee Roasters
    Maketto
    Philz Coffee
    Pitango
    Qualia Coffee
    Royal
    Wydown Coffee Bar
    Gregorys Coffee

    But there's a "catch" to make this different from the overall #FS2019coffeeride. You have to document your rides in this thread with the Strava link to your ride and some sort of photographic evidence that you visited each of the above 15 coffee shops riding your bike. First person to visit all 15 wins the bonus prize.
    How many are you allowed to visit in one day?

  12. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    How many are you allowed to visit in one day?
    There's no limit. You can visit all 15 if you can tolerate all the caffeine!

  14. Likes consularrider, kwarkentien, bikedavid liked this post
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    There's no limit. You can visit all 15 if you can tolerate all the caffeine! (doesn't decaf count?)
    Good thing since I have only 11 days to complete the challenge.

  16. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
  17. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chris - No, decaf doesn't count!

  18. Likes huskerdont, Steve O, kwarkentien, Boomer2U liked this post
    Dislikes consularrider disliked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •