Likes Likes:  102
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumpling Ride Pointless Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dumpling Ride Pointless Prize

I would like to offer a dumpling ride pointless prize, inspired by koromebi's dumpling ride last year. There's nothing like a steaming hot plate of dumplings to power you on a cold winter day! I was debating between ramen or dumplings but after consulting with koromebi, it seems dumplings may cause less sloshing. Plus we have lots of ramen places in DC but a lot of the dumpling places are out in the suburbs such as Rockville so perhaps this will encourage folks to bike further out.

I propose the following rules which are almost identical to the coffee ride pointless prize:

1. The object is to visit as many different dumpling places as possible on your bike. But once you visit one place, that's it. A second visit doesn't count.

2. Once you visit one chain outlet, e.g., A&J, Peter Chang, that's it. A visit to the same outlet but at a different location doesn't count.

3. You are not limited to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean dumplings. Anything on this Washington Post list is fair game. So yes you can also do momo, pelmini, and pierogi but no samosas and empanadas since they are baked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-dc-dumplings/

4. For your ride to count, use #FS2019dumplingride in your Strava ride title and include the name of the place you visited, e.g., #FS2019dumplingride Dumplings & Beyond. Not required, but you are encouraged to post pics on Strava or this thread.

5. The winner will be whoever has visited the most different dumpling places.

Dumplings go well with beer and other activities. If you can somehow combine with beerneuring, more power to you!
    Last edited by bikedavid; 12-16-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I vote we just give the Dumplingneuring Prize to Komorebi now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes bikedavid, LhasaCM liked this post
    Dislikes Edelweiss disliked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, do Spaetzle count? Some think of them more like noodles, but others like dumplings. There are lots of dumpling variations in Germany.

5. Likes Starduster, bikedavid, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about cream puffs? They're dumpling enough that Komo featured them on last year's dumpling ride, so I think they should count

7. Likes komorebi, Steve O, bikedavid, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-dc-dumplings/

What is a dumpling? The answer isn’t as simple as it seems. At their essence, they’re little dough pockets, prevalent in countries and cultures around the world. But those guidelines put wontons and ravioli in the same category, which just feels wrong. When we set out to explore the breadth of dumplings in the Washington area, we first had to determine what is — and isn’t — a dumpling. Samosas? Not a dumpling. Empanadas? No way. That’s why we created our own parameters: For starters, dumplings must be stuffed. They can be steamed, boiled or pan-fried, not baked or deep-fried. They’re usually dipped, rather than coated, in a sauce. (Looking at you, ravioli.) In the end, the decision came down to our gut feeling. You know a dumpling when you see one, and here you’ll discover varieties we love, which are as diverse as they are delicious.

9. Likes Stevenroy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Genius idea, bikedavid! I've been on the fence about participating in Freezing Saddles 2019, but I might sign up solely to compete for this pointless prize. Seems like the perfect excuse to check out all of those Rockville dumpling places I haven't tried yet, and also a good reason to go ride some of the underutilized Fairfax County bike lanes.

11. Likes bikedavid, smb9600 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    What about cream puffs? They're dumpling enough that Komo featured them on last year's dumpling ride, so I think they should count
    True, but even I admitted that cream puffs were a bit of a stretch. If the District Dumplings location in South Arlington had been open by then, we would have stopped there instead.

13. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Ok, do Spaetzle count? Some think of them more like noodles, but others like dumplings. There are lots of dumpling variations in Germany.
    Spatzle no, maultaschen yes

15. Likes Steve O, bikedavid, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dampfnudel?

17. Likes kwarkentien, Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Dampfnudel?
    Gehts net

19. Likes kwarkentien liked this post