Likes Likes:  193
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold weather advice thread

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the information! Iíll probably try thermal bibs and Iíll look into the balaclava and the shimano boots that were recommended. Regards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hugopatacon View Post
    What about black ice? any suggestions?
    Goes back to suggestion 1 I think, just take your time and slow way down. I had to ride over quite a few icy patches this morning -- all the puddles and overrun from last weekend's rain froze over on trails and in some parking lots on my route. Any attempt to lean or steer or brake or hard pedal on wet ice is going to be futile. So don't resist, just try to glide or soft pedal slowly very straight and level and you'd usually get through upright. Lower tire pressure helps a little. Studded tires are the only real way to get grip on ice, but if it's that bad I turn to suggestion 5 and just ride over to the Metro or work from home, although not everyone has those options.

In sum it's often better to glide upright and straight over a patch of ice even if you run off a trail than to go down trying to steer or brake. Except when it's not, of course, and the alternative to staying right side up up is riding into a river or barrier or something! -Jeff
    Last edited by Greenbelt; 12-24-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    Goes back to suggestion 1 I think, just take your time and slow way down. I had to ride over quite a few icy patches this morning -- all the puddles and overrun from last weekend's rain froze over on trails and in some parking lots on my route. Any attempt to lean or steer or brake or hard pedal on wet ice is going to be futile. So don't resist, just try to glide or soft pedal slowly very straight and level and you'd usually get through upright. Lower tire pressure helps a little. Studded tires are the only real way to get grip on ice
    I love studded tires. If you ride mainly on trails they're great fun. On streets, the question is whether the cars around you will lose control.

4. Likes hugopatacon liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased a set of Twin Six Winter Bib *Pants* and holy shit they're amazing. I'm generally not a fan of Twin Six apparel, but these are definitely an exception. Warmer and less constricting than my other cold-weather tights, and they fit over winter boots, which my other tights do not (the exception being the Amfibs). Highly recommend.

6. Likes Paytonb33, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I recently purchased a set of Twin Six Winter Bib *Pants* and holy shit they're amazing. I'm generally not a fan of Twin Six apparel, but these are definitely an exception. Warmer and less constricting than my other cold-weather tights, and they fit over winter boots, which my other tights do not (the exception being the Amfibs). Highly recommend.
    Like the look of those very much! Not a full-on skin-tight lycra look, but not floppy pants either...
    Glad I tell myself that my budget resets on Jan. 1 -- the amount of wish-list gear this one thread has been generating for me to ponder, could break the bank

8. Likes Paytonb33 liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hugopatacon View Post
    What about black ice? any suggestions?
    I wrote a long post on riding on snow and ice previously. Feel free to refer back to it.

10. Likes ChristoB50, hugopatacon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a pair of the REI Co-Op softshell pants - they're similar to the TwinSix ones above but on clearance they were only $35. (And no bibs - bibs...yuck)

12. Likes huskerdont, Crickey7, hozn liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    (And no bibs - bibs...yuck)

14. Likes huskerdont, Tania, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't worn a onesie since I was a toddler and I'm not going to start now.

16. Likes Crickey7, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter Tires?

What tips do you have for biking on ice? There were lots of ice patches on Mtn Vernon this week in the morning, I was lucky and didn't crash. But, last year I had several wipe outs. Do I need to get better tires?