Likes Likes:  114
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prizes 2019

Post Thanks / Like

As Dread Pirate rcannon100 (I've heard he even dresses up as a sea captain), I'll be offering a pointless prize for the winner of Calvinball (thread upcoming). There will possibly (probably) be multiple winners in different categories.

Post Thanks / Like

Silly Rabbit Trix pointless prize:
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ointless-Prize

No special hashtags required. You just need to post a vid of you doing the trick on that thread. I'll calculate from there and put it on a Google spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trixrabbit.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	18668

3. Likes josh, Boomer2U liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This year there will be a "Ride Alexandria's Bike Infrastructure Prize" (or some more clever name if someone can provide it) It will be the same as last year's "In the beginning was the deed" prize, except this time it will ONLY be bike lanes in the City of Alexandria. I know this sounds unfair, but the prize was won by an Alexandrian last year anyway. Besides, the City needs for y'all to come and visit! And I can give a better prize - something about Alexandria, or failing that, a copy of https://www.amazon.com/Bolsheviks-In.../dp/0674078306

For those who did not play last year, there will be a list of strava segments (all representing controverial pieces of bike infra) that you must ride. Whoever rides the most (with your number being equal to the number of rides you took on the segment you rode least) wins the prize.

So who do I need to send the list of strava segment numbers to again? Can I post them here? (it will be a much shorter list than I sent Hozn last year)

5. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This year there will be a "Ride Alexandria's Bike Infrastructure Prize" (or some more clever name if someone can provide it)
    Bonus points for riding on Seminary Road?

7. Likes Steve O, LhasaCM, Kitty liked this post
  8. 12-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Reason
    List moved to top of thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Here is the first compendium of Pointless Prizes. It will be updated with prizes, links, and hashtags as the list grows. Keep 'em coming!

Coffee Rides (chuxtr) - Visit different coffee places on your bike #FS2018coffeeride
    The hashtag is #FS2019coffeeride

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    The hashtag is #FS2019coffeeride
    Fixed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loopy for Arlington

I will once again be awarding the Loopy for Arlington Pointless Prizes for completing the most Arlington Loops (for the uninitiated: the Arlington Loop consists of the W&OD Trail from the Custis intersection to its eastern terminus, 4-Mile Run Trail from Shirlington Rd. to its eastern terminus, the MVT from DCA to its northern terminus at Roosevelt Island, and the whole Custis trail). There will be 3 prizes: Most Clockwise Loops (for those who need to unwind), Most Counter-Clockwise Loops (for those who need to get wound up), and Most Matching Loops (for those seeking balance in life, or who simply like to go both ways).

How do you play?

Unlike Hains Point laps, the Arlington Loop can actually get you to useful places, so the game is designed so you don't have to literally ride the entire trail route to count a completed loop, and you don't have to do a complete loop in a single ride, or even a single day, either (for example, you can do half the loop on your morning commute, and the other half on your evening commute the next day). A loop is counted each time you collect all of the short segments located near the trail intersection points. So collect loops while coffeeneuring, beerneuring, doughneuring, or errendneuring. Because of the perpetual construction in Rosslyn, and what are likely to be the near-perpetual ice fields on the north end of the MVT, this year a loop can be completed without the segments at the intersection of the Custis and MVT.

For a clockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCW1
    ArLoopCW4
    ArLoopCW5
    ArLoopCW6
    ArLoopCW7
    ArLoopCW8

For a counterclockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCCW1
    ArLoopCCW2
    ArLoopCCW3
    ArLoopCCW4
    ArLoopCCW5
    ArLoopCCW8

Note that many of the segments have been flagged as hazardous in Strava by people wishing to protect their KOMs, I assume. If you don't see a segment you expect on your ride, click the button to "show hidden efforts".

The prizes will be, of course, specially inscribed commemorative boxes of Froot Loops (TM).

P.S. I would love to work with the FS Web Gurus to add a leaderboard for these prizes.

12. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for excluding that end of the MVT. I have rerouted through Rosslyn and over to Arlington National Cemetery to avoid the horrendous trail conditions along MVT there

Post Thanks / Like

I will be sponsoring a new and exciting prize this year. But unlike previous years, my sponsored prize is not going to be pointless...

Details forthcoming!

15. Likes Hancockbs, LhasaCM, josh, Emm, schvin, Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Here is the first compendium of Pointless Prizes. It will be updated with prizes, links, and hashtags as the list grows. Keep 'em coming!
    Could you add these in your initial post in this thread? This would make it easier to find the list.

17. Likes josh, Judd liked this post