Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Freezing Saddles Registration is open!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2019 Freezing Saddles Registration is open!!!

There are some new features this year, so please read to the end of this post. There will be a test! (In other words, if you don't read these instructions, you may well not end up being registered, even if you submit the form.)

If you want to be a Friend of BAFS (previously known as a Slacker), do not register. You only need to do two things to be a Friend of BAFS. (We're very friendly!):

1. Go to this link to authorize Freezing Saddles to read your Strava miles.
    2. Go to this link, and join the Freezing Saddles 2019 Strava club.

If, on the other hand, you want to compete in Freezing Saddles, here are the things you will need to do before registering, with links on where to do them:

1. Read the sticky at the top of this forum topic, so you know what you're in for. There is at least one change to the rules this year, and we want to make sure everyone is familiar with the rules before deciding whether to sign up.
    2. Become a member of this forum.
    3. Make at least one post on this forum.
    4. Sign up for Strava.
    5. Join the BAFS 2019 Strava club.
    6. Authorize Freezing Saddles to read your Stava miles.

If the page to authorize your Strava miles is down, you can wait until it comes up--as late as December 31--to do that, but will still need to get your Strava number for the registration form. To do that, go to Strava, and click on your picture on the upper left. That will take you to a page with a URL something like https://www.strava.com/athletes/3487165. In that example, your Strava number is 3487165.

If you use the Strava app on your phone, the above will not work. However, you can use the browser on your phone to go to your Strava page, and then it will work.

You'll then need to fill out the registration form. (If you read this entire post, you will find out where to do that.)

After registering, you will get two e-mails. One will confirm your registration details. The other one will have a link for you to click on to confirm your e-mail address. You must click on that link in order to be registered. If for some reason you do not receive the e-mail with the link in it, please e-mail me at freezingsaddles@freezingsaddles.x10host.com, to prevent having your registration deleted.

In January, you will either need to attend the first happy hour (which will be on January 10) or check this forum after the first happy hour to find out what team you are on. You will then need to join that team's Strava club.

Notes about registering:

1. Registration will be open from now until the earlier of a) 11:59 pm on December 24, or b) when 250 people have registered. This is a much shorter period than in prior years, so you'll need to register more expeditiously. Any registrations submitted thereafter will be accepted only at chuxtr's discretion, e.g., to even out teams, or make up for people who fail to show up or get injured. Please don't wait to register until December 25, and then get mad because you're not registered. Similarly, if you have friends that want to participate, you'll need to stress to them that they need to get their registrations in early to be sure of getting on a team.
    2. The list above shows you what you need to do before registering, after registering, and in January. The registration form also has links to do the various things you need to do to register (e.g., being a member of this forum, and making at least one post). Do not ignore these things. If, for example, you have not made at least one post on this forum before registering, your registration will be deleted without warning. The same goes for failing to click on the e-mail to confirm your address (or e-mail me if you don't get that e-mail).

Congratulations, you made it to the end of this post, and now get rewarded with a link to the registration form.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-27-2018 at 11:34 PM.

2. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The server encountered an error during processing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    The server encountered an error during processing.
    Hmm, not sure what happened. You did get registered, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Hmm, not sure what happened. You did get registered, though.
    Yay! But weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Server just doesn't like you

7. Likes LhasaCM, Judd, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Looking forward to a very tight competition this year based upon the new changes. It looks like all the teams will be within a few points of one another. I guess we can all get a participation award!!

But, I do have to confess. I have met some great people by doing this dumb challenge the past few years. It's sort of fun in a weird way.

9. Likes LhasaCM, Rod Smith, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And already, we have three people (out of 34) who signed up, didn't click on the e-mail to confirm their e-mail addresses, and didn't e-mail me to notify me that there was a problem. Apparently, they didn't believe me there would be a test. Sigh!
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-09-2018 at 12:09 AM.

11. Likes jrenaut, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    And already, we have three people (out of 34) who signed up, didn't click on the e-mail to confirm their e-mail addresses, and didn't e-mail me to notify me that there was a problem. Apparently, they didn't believe me there would be a test. Sigh!
    I'm only checking email now. Although you said I'm registered, did not receive the two emails you said I should get.

Post Thanks / Like

I had not counted yours in that number, because you said there had been a glitch. But I did confirm the email for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    I'm only checking email now. Although you said I'm registered, did not receive the two emails you said I should get.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gmail marked your email as spam for my wife, so that may be a contributing factor. Also I've found that people don't follow directions very well.

15. Likes Steve O, AlanA liked this post