Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Crash: Left hooked by SUV in front of Arlington Central Library (10/12/18, ~3:50pm)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crash: Left hooked by SUV in front of Arlington Central Library (10/12/18, ~3:50pm)

About two months back I was traveling northbound on N Quincy St in Arlington in the bike lane, coming back from the store with a backpack full of groceries. It was a sunny afternoon, and I had a rear flashing taillight but no headlight. I was traveling probably 20 miles per hour, and I looked back over my left shoulder in preparation to take the lane before an eventual left turn onto Washington Blvd. As I turned my head forward, I saw a SUV turning directly in front of me (from Quincy southbound), making an illegal U-turn to get to the 5 minute street parking spots. I was unable to stop in time, and bounced off the right side of the hood near the wheel well and went flying. After a couple seconds I moved myself and my bike off the street to a bench on the sidewalk. The driver exited her car, and a police officer who had heard the accident from nearby came walking over.

Information was exchanged, I was looked over by medics, and probably an hour later I had my half mile cab ride home paid for. I had no injuries other than minor scrapes on my hands and a sore wrist for several days, but that was it. My helmet hit the ground and was rather banged up, and my handlebars/stem were knocked out of alignment. I had my LBS take a look at the bike later, they didn't see any problems with it (was primarily worried about the carbon fork). The driver's insurance compensated me for the helmet replacement, I believe the driver was cited, and my bike and I escaped basically unscathed. I submitted this to WABA's crash tracker. All in all, it was about as painless an experience as you could ask for.

2. Likes dasgeh, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    All in all, it was about as painless an experience as you could ask for.
    Except for the fact that SHE COULD HAVE KILLED YOU.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    All in all, it was about as painless an experience as you could ask for.
    I'm glad you are okay! That sounds like a terrifying experience.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it wasn't worse. So so sorry this happened. This is my husband's route to and from preschool (half the time with our 3.5 year old) Terrifying.

Post Thanks / Like

Recommended tech: Cycliq.com.

7. Likes Emm liked this post