Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Branch Avenue station to downtown during rush hour?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Branch Avenue station to downtown during rush hour?

On Wednesday morning I'm dropping my car off for some work near the Branch Avenue metro station. It will be rush hour so I can't bring my bike onto the green line. What's a good route to go downtown? I'm pretty comfortable in traffic but want to avoid the really dangerous spots. Google maps doesn't have any bicycle-friendly roads marked that go the correct direction. Thanks!

John

PS anyone know if the federal agency shutdown for the state funeral on Wednesday means I could in fact bring my bike onto the green line during rush hour?

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I experimented with the Hanson Creek trail, using that Metro station as a launch/recovery point. Also tried to find some routes from there to the Navy Yard. It's too dangerous--not bike friendly at all is what I mean--bad roads, no trail, no protected bike lanes, angry traffic. For downtown, best to loop out of the horseshoe (Auth Way) to Allentown Road, left at Suitland Road and linking up with PA Ave all the way into the Capitol. Lots of inattentive drivers (worse that you have seen and multiply it by 10) is your biggest threat. Lots of overworked, sleep deprived drivers, crazy amount of speeding (tailgating and slamming on brakes by drivers), and no safe quarter for cyclists. I would not do it again unless there is a protected bike lane or a trail. If you do it, I will pray for you. Beware the potholes and construction along the way. Hope you are using a hybrid. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by VikingMariner; 12-03-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Overtone View Post

PS anyone know if the federal agency shutdown for the state funeral on Wednesday means I could in fact bring my bike onto the green line during rush hour?
    wmata.com only says this: "Metro will operate regular hours and service levels Wednesday, Dec 5 (National Day of Mourning)". I assume that means bikes are not allowed on trains during peak service hours as usual. You could try routing by bus and use the bike rack.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't answer the metro rush hour thing because I'm clueless. I bet metrorail is clueless too right now since the death was a surprise. They might have a policy out by today or tomorrow. I would chat them up on Twitter or their famous nemesis @unsuckdcmetro account.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMariner View Post
    Years ago I experimented with the Hanson Creek trail, using that Metro station as a launch/recovery point. Also tried to find some routes from there to the Navy Yard. It's too dangerous--not bike friendly at all is what I mean--bad roads, no trail, no protected bike lanes, angry traffic. For downtown, best to loop out of the horseshoe (Auth Way) to Allentown Road, left at Suitland Road and linking up with PA Ave all the way into the Capitol. Lots of inattentive drivers (worse that you have seen and multiply it by 10) is your biggest threat. Lots of overworked, sleep deprived drivers, crazy amount of speeding (tailgating and slamming on brakes by drivers), and no safe quarter for cyclists. I would not do it again unless there is a protected bike lane or a trail. If you do it, I will pray for you. Beware the potholes and construction along the way. Hope you are using a hybrid. Hope this helps.
    Wow. Sounds much worse than your ordinary suburban traffic area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    wmata.com only says this: "Metro will operate regular hours and service levels Wednesday, Dec 5 (National Day of Mourning)". I assume that means bikes are not allowed on trains during peak service hours as usual. You could try routing by bus and use the bike rack.
    Great idea. I'll look for a bus route that gets me out of the snarl that VikingMariner describes.

7. Likes VikingMariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've ridden two/from the area around Branch Ave Metro station a few times.

It involves a lot of riding on sidewalks, bunnyhopping glass, an abundance of lights & reflective materials, and a sprinkling of magic. I'd highly not recommend it unless Danger is your middle name and your life insurance is paid up.

I can't find my Strava routes for when I did it those few times, but if you want to see how others risked their lives trying to ride to/from there, maybe you can cobble something from the Strava heat map:
    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#12.88....84901/hot/all

9. Likes VikingMariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I've ridden two/from the area around Branch Ave Metro station a few times.

It involves a lot of riding on sidewalks, bunnyhopping glass, an abundance of lights & reflective materials, and a sprinkling of magic. I'd highly not recommend it unless Danger is your middle name and your life insurance is paid up.

I can't find my Strava routes for when I did it those few times, but if you want to see how others risked their lives trying to ride to/from there, maybe you can cobble something from the Strava heat map:
    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#12.88....84901/hot/all
    Nice way to use the strava heatmap. thanks for that pointer.

John