Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future W&OD bridge @ Wash blvd & Isaac Crossman Park

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    The Citizens’ bridge opened on October 3, 1992. One less busy road to have to cross.
    I remember contributing to the building of that bridge.

26 years. Time certainly does fly.

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I agree that the signage could be better, but I'm not clear what you and dasgeh are suggesting (possibly because I'm not even sure of what the official route through the neighborhood is). Headed westbound, I generally take a right after going by Brandymore Castle, go under Sycamore, head all the way to Van Buren, take a right and go north, then a left onto Westmoreland, right on Washington, and then a left back onto the trail/sidewalk depending on traffic. The last part is a "shortcut" FFG showed me, but I think the most common approach is to take Van Buren north to 19th, then a left followed by a quick right to get back on the W&OD (and then the 29 crossing). Where would a bridge be needed there? You already don't need to cross Sycamore (at grade) or 66. I'm having trouble imagining a bridge over an entire neighborhood (this is a bike trail, not a monstrosity of a car freeway or something).
    Pull up google maps for the birds eye view. There's been long discussion of making the trail straight along 66, maybe bridging the ramp, maybe something the parking lot, maybe something else, instead of going through the park and neighborhood at all. For recreational riders it's a nice detour (except for potential personal safety concerns in the tunnel and park which are more constrained/deserted than the tail generally) but for transportation cyclists the whole thing is kind of a pain--especially when the tunnel floods. Adding a bridge is "probably" cheaper than making the tunnel flood-proof, and trends suggest that flooding will be more common in the future rather than less common. It's also probably a win-win for the neighborhood if they'd like to see that whole stretch of park be more of a neighborhood amenity than a bike expressway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I agree that the signage could be better, but I'm not clear what you and dasgeh are suggesting (possibly because I'm not even sure of what the official route through the neighborhood is). Where would a bridge be needed there? You already don't need to cross Sycamore (at grade) or 66. I'm having trouble imagining a bridge over an entire neighborhood (this is a bike trail, not a monstrosity of a car freeway or something).
    The bridge replaces waiting at the light at Lee Highway.
    Here are some renderings:
    http://inside.transform66.org/about_...ail_bridge.asp

The other bridge is purely notional. It shows up on p42 of this document: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/wp-c...ls-Church1.pdf
    I've circled it here:
    Name:  EFC bridge.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  20.3 KB

5. Likes josh, hozn, huskerdont liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clarifying, Steve. The notional bridge certainly makes a lot of sense; it would make that part of the w&od trail make sense. -- but I'd certainly choose the Lee Hey bridge if forced to pick (only) one.