Likes Likes:  59
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements - 2018/2019

Post Thanks / Like

I was almost right-hooked there (Lee Hwy. and Oak) last week. I had the walk signal westbound, driver had a red arrow, but made the turn anyway, without stopping. The sign says "no turn on red." In other places I've seen "no turn on red" with a red arrow below, to make it clearer.

Another bad intersection on my normal commute routes is Pershing and Arlington Blvd. Lots of drivers blaze through a right-turn-on-red without stopping first (or even slowing very much). It's a trouble spot that could use some police enforcement. Dedicated right turn lanes seem to present an "attractive nuisance" to a certain sub-set of inattentive and aggressive drivers.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    I was almost right-hooked there (Lee Hwy. and Oak) last week. I had the walk signal westbound, driver had a red arrow, but made the turn anyway, without stopping. The sign says "no turn on red." In other places I've seen "no turn on red" with a red arrow below, to make it clearer.

Another bad intersection on my normal commute routes is Pershing and Arlington Blvd. Lots of drivers blaze through a right-turn-on-red without stopping first (or even slowing very much). It's a trouble spot that could use some police enforcement. Dedicated right turn lanes seem to present an "attractive nuisance" to a certain sub-set of inattentive and aggressive drivers.
    My guess is that the scofflaw drivist at Lee & Oak knew what he was doing was wrong and did it anyway. No amount of signage will help that. From what I've seen, drivists are obeying the new signal and it's lovely.

On Pershing & Arlington Blvd, PLEASE email police@arlingtonva.us. They'll do some ST enforement, but it helps if it comes from the public. TIA

3. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So is this the right spot for discussion of the reworked crossing of Doom? I did a good bit 'o searching and couldn't find anything newer...

As of last week the NE corner of the IoD has been re-opened in what appears to be its more-or-less permanent configuration - what do others think? Personally, I think it's somehow, if this is possible, even more dangerous than before - the fact that the N/S crosswalk is now set in from the traffic lane by ~10 feet just gives even more real estate for the drivers to crawl along into when making their precious right turns on red. And now, because it's such a protracted procedure to do so, they're paying even less attention than previous to the bikes/peds crossing Lynn as they inch forward to gain visibility, all while looking left.

How this is going to work when the actual esplanade opens and people are actually using the N/S crosswalk, I can't even imagine - I think people will be mowed down en masse there. Of course if ACPD put an officer on duty station there 24/7 (which they won't), the resulting revenue could reduce our property taxes by 50%...

I'd imagine there is plenty of other discussion already and I'm in the wrong place, so please point me to the right thread!

Post Thanks / Like

IOD area update 1:
    I noticed almost 2 weeks ago that the monolith is now up and running! Numbers aren't too high, as expected given the current situation.
    However, I also noticed that the trail had been marked to have double-double diamond sensors for each side of the trail (two side-by-side for trail width and two-front-to-back for direction). However, the actual installation is only one pair of sensors for side of the trail. They give the width of the trail, but not the direction of travel. Given the width of the trail, it is more likely that the side of the trail will give direction, but that is definitely not guaranteed. Not sure if the construction crew didn't understand or if the monolith could only take four inputs.

IOD area update 2:
    The trail on the south side of the IOD is now full width (same as on the island between Ft Meyers Drive and Lynn St), for a short bit. This is helpful for crossing the road and getting across safely (except for the light pole), but heading south, the trail goes back to the regular trail width, so there is a quick merge, but there may be enough time when the area is crowded again. Also the sidewalk on Lynn St is open again.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    IOD area update 1:
    [...] Not sure if the construction crew didn't understand or if the monolith could only take four inputs.
    I happened to have ridden by (on essential travel to my office, weeks ago) when they were installing everything. The County's bike/ped planner, who's in charge of the data program was there. I'm fairly certain it's installed correctly.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    IOD area update 1:
    IOD area update 2:
    The trail on the south side of the IOD is now full width (same as on the island between Ft Meyers Drive and Lynn St), for a short bit. This is helpful for crossing the road and getting across safely (except for the light pole), but heading south, the trail goes back to the regular trail width, so there is a quick merge, but there may be enough time when the area is crowded again. Also the sidewalk on Lynn St is open again.
    Do you mean the east side?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I happened to have ridden by (on essential travel to my office, weeks ago) when they were installing everything. The County's bike/ped planner, who's in charge of the data program was there. I'm fairly certain it's installed correctly.
    So, then the monolith probably only takes four inputs and there will not be a directional component to the data.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Do you mean the east side?
    Yes. (since usually I am heading south overall on my trips through there, I mention the south direction, while technically there and the Custis as a whole it is mostly east - which is clear at sunrise)

Post Thanks / Like

Just rode through here this evening and the pedestrian signal on the NE corner is literally right in the middle of the eastbound part of the path (didn’t get a pic). I don’t know who signed off on that location, but they’re going to get someone seriously hurt or worse, particularly riding at night when it’s harder to see that kind of obstacle.

Post Thanks / Like

Corrective work on the Custis Trail

As part of the Lynn Street Esplanade & Custis Trail Improvements project’s final punch list, the contractor will replace a portion of unacceptable asphalt pavement on the Custis Trail just east of North Oak Street. This will include milling and replacing asphalt for a length of about 80 feet on one half of the Custis Trail.

Weather permitting, the work may begin as early as Friday, April 24 and is expected to last one day. It will be performed during normal construction hours. The trail will remain open but will be temporarily narrowed to 8 feet to enable the replacement work. Cones will be placed to shift trail users to the open trail portion during the repairs.

Project Page.