Likes Likes:  59
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements - 2018/2019

Post Thanks / Like

On a recent afternoon commute, I noticed another stupid about this project. The right-turn slip lane from Lee Hwy to Oak Street is now open, and a right-turn arrow, which turns on when Oak Street has the green and Lee Hwy has red, has been added for traffic in that lane. This light can only be seen by west-bound trail users. Given how often there is no traffic coming out of Oak Street on its green light, many Custis users cross the empty Oak Street on the Lee Hwy red, and in the past drivers turning right on red would generally yield to crosswalk users. With the new green arrow, I'm sure some drivers will feel entitled not to yield, and if there is a crash, liability will be in dispute.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatís to dispute? Thereís a red right arrow with a Walk sign and a green right arrow with a Donít Walk sign. Proceed accordingly.

3. Likes musclys, dasgeh, sjclaeys, Dewey, Pinking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    What’s to dispute? There’s a red right arrow with a Walk sign and a green right arrow with a Don’t Walk sign. Proceed accordingly.
    I mean, technically you can dispute anything. (Merica!) But from a legal standpoint, the cyclist in that scenario would be -- and I'm pretty sure this is the technical term used in the Restatement of Torts (2nd) -- screwed.

5. Likes dasgeh, ShawnoftheDread, sjclaeys liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    On a recent afternoon commute, I noticed another stupid about this project. The right-turn slip lane from Lee Hwy to Oak Street is now open, and a right-turn arrow, which turns on when Oak Street has the green and Lee Hwy has red, has been added for traffic in that lane. This light can only be seen by west-bound trail users. Given how often there is no traffic coming out of Oak Street on its green light, many Custis users cross the empty Oak Street on the Lee Hwy red, and in the past drivers turning right on red would generally yield to crosswalk users. With the new green arrow, I'm sure some drivers will feel entitled not to yield, and if there is a crash, liability will be in dispute.
    I love this change. When I'm riding downhill, I can confidently proceed with the walk sign, without worrying a car will whip a right turn into me (it's happened). Now cars get to go when cyclists and trail users shouldn't go. Cars shouldn't go when trail users get to go. Easy peasy.

Also, there's no slip lane. There's a right turn lane.

7. Likes sjclaeys, Dewey liked this post
  8. 12-16-2019, 03:22 PM

Reason
    I was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I love this change. When I'm riding downhill, I can confidently proceed with the walk sign, without worrying a car will whip a right turn into me (it's happened). Now cars get to go when cyclists and trail users shouldn't go. Cars shouldn't go when trail users get to go. Easy peasy.

Observed the lights and not just the cars today, and agree this makes sense. My stupid, objection withdrawn.

10. Likes huskerdont, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post

A big +1 to ArlCo for doing this, just don't let it go to your head.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And don't let's get overconfident. People still routinely ignore the no-turn-on-red signs, both here and at Ft. Myer. Oak is arguably worse though because of the lack of a sightline and the increased speed potential from the downhill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    And don't let's get overconfident. People still routinely ignore the no-turn-on-red signs, both here and at Ft. Myer. Oak is arguably worse though because of the lack of a sightline and the increased speed potential from the downhill.
    Right-turning drivers have a tendency to assume that they too can go whenever they see a green light to go straight. I've seen a lot of drivers run reds under similar circumstances at 22nd & M, Duke & W Taylor Run, Calvert & Connecticut, etc.

From a legal perspective the new design is great, since it removes all doubt about right-of-way. But I certainly wouldn't advise lowering one's guard; I'd expect poor compliance from drivers here too.

(Counter-argument: There is reason to believe that drivers might obey this one better than the other examples. Since the location off Oak Street is both residential and doesn't attract cut-through traffic, likely a larger fraction of the drivers turning here will be regulars who will have become familiar with this intersection dynamic.)

15. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Observed the lights and not just the cars today, and agree this makes sense. My stupid, objection withdrawn.
    Wait, someone on the Internet changed his mind?!

17. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Wait, someone on the Internet changed his mind?!
    I'm hoping to start a trend.

19. Likes Steve O, Hancockbs liked this post