Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Trail with I-495 NEXT project near Am Legion Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trail with I-495 NEXT project near Am Legion Bridge

I'm sharing infromation sent to me by Transurban staff:

The proposed bike/pedestrian path is as part of the 495 Express Lanes Northern Extension Project (495 NEXT).

It is important for VDOT and regional leaders to hear from citizens about the project, please send any comments to 495NorthernExtension@VDOT.virginia.gov

The 495 NEXT Project would extend the existing 495 Express Lanes two miles to the George Washington Memorial Parkway, make improvements at the Dulles Toll Road, and includes three miles of new bike/pedestrian path parralell to 495. The path will be on the community side of the sound wall not the highway side.

The project is set to be fully funded by Transurban, with no state subsidy, this includes the bike/pedestrian path.

VDOT and Transurban are working with Fairfax County to ensure that the path is consistent with the County’s Bike Master Plan.

Overall the project has many benefits for the region:

· Sets the stage for the Capital Beltway Accord project – the vital rebuild of the American Legion Bridge and extension of the Express Lanes into Maryland
    · Provides an option for faster, more reliable travel – reducing commuting times by 50% during rush hour for those who choose to use the Express Lanes
    · Allows transit and carpoolers to bypass congestion with a faster trip, at no additional cost to the traveler
    · Reduces cut-through traffic that now plagues neighborhoods along the Capital Beltway
    · Improves safety on 495 by reducing the number of accidents
    · Delivers a new 3-mile bicycle and pedestrian trail connecting to existing trails
    · Spurs economic development in Virginia with the estimated creation of 6,300 jobs and $880 million generated in economic activity
    · Fully funded with private capital with no public subsidy

They would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the project.

boards_495_next_march_2020_crosssections_and_bikeped.pdf

2. Likes dasgeh, Sunyata, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big missed opportunity to have done this on the original 495 HOT lanes expansion. Though highway corridors aren't the most pleasant place to ride, they are efficient locations to get where you need to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.495northernextension.org/...sign_plans.pdf

The proposed grade-separated GWMP trail crossing shown on sheets 24 and 24A under the I-495 on-ramp looks pretty cool.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Relwal Noj View Post
    http://www.495northernextension.org/...sign_plans.pdf

The proposed grade-separated GWMP trail crossing shown on sheets 24 and 24A under the I-495 on-ramp looks pretty cool.
    Once they've gotten you to sign on to that cool plan VDOT will replace it with flex-posts in the shoulder at the last minute citing "concern from residents", will offer a 6 inch curb in response to cyclist outrage and then threaten to cancel the entire bike/ped portion of the project.

8. Likes Relwal Noj, Steve O liked this post